Priceline Hotel: 4* Portland (Downtown) Hotel Monaco

punisher_1001
By punisher_1001,
in

Last year I used Priceline to book a downtown Portland hotel. I did not know about this board and how to bid properly. I thus ended up with the Holiday Inn Downtown for like $85. What kills me now is that I should have paid about half for that looking at the current 3* prices posted by others. What kills me more is even if I had paid $42.50, I would still have thought I paid too much! I was not happy with the hotel at all. Maybe it was a case of me getting one of the "Priceline" rooms.

Anyway, I need to stay in Portland again for one night, 12/28. I have no problem with a 3* as many of those look like very nice hotels. It would be great if I could get one for under $50. Although I will be traveling down to Albany, OR, the following day (to pick up my 2008 Harley Road King :) ), I do want to stay in a downtown hotel because my wife and I will be having dinner at the Portland City Grill, which we did last year. If you have never eaten there, and you can spare a few $$, it will be some of the best food you have ever tasted.

I think I have the bidding process down, but if someone has a good plan for me, I would greatly appreciate the advice. I am assuming there is no way for me to guarantee Priceline will not stick me at the Holiday Inn again.

Welcome to BetterBidding, punisher_1001.

Since your last trip to Portland Priceline has divided the Downtown zone in two. Now there are "Downtown Portland" and "Convention Center-Lloyd Center" zones. The Holiday Inn is in the CC/LC zone, so you won't win it (or the Doubletree or Red Lion) if you only bid the Downtown Portland zone.

I'm not sure $50 is enough for a 3* though. Usually it takes a bit more.

When bidding for a 3* you have two free rebid zones in Portland---Northwest and Beaverton-Hillsboro. I suggest trying $45 for 3*. Then add your two free rebids at $50 and $55.

Please let us know how it goes.

So, here is what happened:

Bid $45 for Downtown - no luck.

Bid $50 for Downtown + Beaverton - no luck

Bid $55 for Downtown + Northwest - WINNER for one night at the Hotel Monaco. Going rate through their website was $139 for a queen room.

Anyone have any experience with this hotel? Both reviews in the "Reviews" section were complimentary.

Thanks for all the help!

Congratulations on your win!

This property has previously been reproted at the 4* level, and i believe is still rated 4 stars, can you confirm if you bid for 3* or 4* hotels? If 3*, did your confirmation screen mention being upgraded to a 4* hotel?

I have no experience with this property, but at well under half the rate of a conventional booking i'm sure it will be quite nice for price paid.

Thanks for sharing your win with the board.

Enjoy your stay.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]