NY NYC Holiday Inn Express Brooklyn

erinys
By erinys,
in

My husband and I stayed at these hotels (Brooklyn Comfort Inn and Holiday Inn Express) in August.

They are basically identical under the same ownership. The lady who checked us in one night at the at the Comfort Inn checked us in the following night at the Holiday Inn Express.

I believe because we were Priceline customers they put us in the tiniest room on each floor, down on one end where they've tried to cram as many rooms in as possible. The space was adequate for two however. Check-in area was tiny, but everyone was very polite and both were somewhat basic but very clean and well-kept.

The rooms were new, again very clean and well kept. Each had a small walkway around the bed, streetview, small bedside tables, basic 25" or so tv, and a desk. If the tv armoire doors were open you had to close them to get to the far side of the bed. We had high speed internet, but I believe we paid $10 for it. The bathroom was small but completely adequate, including a tub/shower combo. I believe it was small enought that you couldn't have both the bathroom and room doors open at the same time. Parking was extra and extremely limited.

Continental breakfast was good, even included a waffle maker(!), pancakes, and a thorough selection of food, including decent muffins. Both were in clean, fairly large areas with well-stocked vending machines. Other guests were reasonably pleasant and courteous. It was so much superior to the horrible experience we had at the 3*ish non-Priceline Broadway Plaza in the garment district, in which miserable people ran into each other in a walk-in closet over cold bagels and stale muffins (supposedly since renovated, but I'll stay in Brooklyn at full price before ever going there again).

Differences: Comfort Inn had more parking, behind the building, but again it was for a fee ($24?). Holiday Inn Express had less parking, in front of the building, and we parked on the street for free. Staff said on a weekend there should be no problem parking on the street. I suspect during the week street parking is more difficult due to the autobody shop and other businesses across the street.

The Holiday Inn Express cost a little more, but I suspect that was due to it being a Saturday night. It's location, IMO, is better because it is on Union St, the subway on 4th is only half a block away, and it was only 2? blocks north of a bar we REALLY liked. In front there was a small area with sweet little picnic tables that were lovely to just hang out. Neighbors is the run-down nearby houses were hanging out the same way on their front porches and yards. A group was doing the same on the concrete entrance in front of the body shop - that was weird and made us double-check the car, but all was well.

The Comfort Inn on Butler a couple blocks north was a little more isolated and industrial, about 4-5 blocks to the nearest subway stops. It was a tad newer than the Holiday Inn Express, a little lonely in its industrial area over a weekend, but quiet. It was still a very reasonable walk to the same bar.

I'd stay at either again - the prices were right, it was a bit of a trip into Manhattan but met our needs for proximity to a friend and Coney Island (much longer ride than to Manhattan, with many Saturday night delays). We had no problems with either hotel. If you can't afford Manhattan prices, these will do just fine.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]