Priceline Hotel: 4* NYC (MTE) Millenium UN Plaza

MAC
By MAC,
in

I used someone elses already posted bids to see if they would be successfull for me for 5/30/04-6/5/04 for a 4* hotel

MTE Bid $85 - rejected

Added MTW & Bid $90 - rejected

Added UM/CPS & bid $95 - rejected

Added UES & bid $100 - rejected

Added UWS & bid $110 - rejected

I then changed the dates from 5/30/04-6/4/04 at $120 and was rejected again.

Do you know of any other times in June that we would have a better chance at a successfull bid in June?

This will be me and my wifes first time staying in Manhattan, So any help would be greatly appreciated.

I think that we would like to spend at least 6-7 days in New York. We figured that there are a lot of things to do and we really do not want to feel real rushed

The reason for wanting the first week in June is that I have Memorial day off (May 31) and I would only need to use 4 vacation days and get a full week in New York.

But, I have enough vacation days that we can do any days 6-7 days between May 29th to June 19th .

I tried again for a 4* 5/29/04-6/5/04 but came up empty. (on another computer and different card)

here is what I did.

MTE Bid $120 - rejected

Added MTW & Bid $125 - rejected

Added UM/CPS & bid $135 - rejected

$135 is about the top of what I was wanting to spend, so any help or other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

MAC

Rates in NYC are often less expensive on the weekends than during mid-week so i would try to include a weekend in your stay. Try varying dates that work within your schedule that include a weekend (don't forget a including a weekend can be Wed-Sun as well as Fri-Tues).

When bidding 4* in this area you have 2 re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding it is explained here: PRICELINE RE-BIDDING and you should feel free to confirm with us which zones are your re-bid zones if there is any confusion.

I would follow the following strategy for 3 different sets of dates (assuming you are somewhat flexible with your travel days):

Select 4* and MTW and...

Bid $110, if rejected add MTE and...

Bid $120, if rejected add UM/CPS and...

Bid $130, if rejected add a re-bid zone and...

Bid $135, if rejected add a re-bid zone and...

Bid $140.

This strategy raises your maximum bid to $140, and i suggest you do so as that is often a 'threshold' number... but the ultimate decision to bid that high is up to you.

If the above is rejected (for 3 different sets of dates) then i would book a cancellable back-up and try again in a week or so.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Keep us updated regarding your progress.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I got up to $135 going on another weekend, but was still denied.

So I decide to use my last rebid for 5/29/04-6/05/04 at $140. Slightly higher than I was wanting to go, but comared to everywhere else, I think we got a good deal.

For a total of $980 plus $157.76 in taxes and fees for a total of 1137.76 for 7 nights, or 162.54 per night.

Hotels.com had it sold out.

all-hotels had it from $179 if I was in AAA

Expedia had it for $194

Travelocity had it for $222

Thank you for your help. I have allready told a bunch of people about your site.

I will let you know how the trip was sometime in June.

Thanks again,

MAC

Hi Mac,

I did read your bid post thoroughly I thin; maybe I am wrong, but I believe you did not state the hotel for which your bid was accepted. I'm exceptionally curious, as I bid up to $220.00 for a hotel in every part of the city other than lower manhattan for 4/22/04-4/24/04- was rejected. Finally had to go throught the hotel itself , at a rate of $259.00 per night!! That is quite alot when one is spoiled by Priceline prices, in general.

Interested in the name of the hotel.

Kind regards,

Donna

Sorry,

The hotel is the Millennium UN Plaza Hotel.

We would like to see a Broadway show during our stay (5/29-6/5). Does anyone know of a site that does discount tickets?

What are some restaurants that you would recommend as this is our first time to Manhattan?

Any other must "see" or "do" while we are in the New York/Manhattan area?

Thanks,

MAC

I know this is off-topic, but in response to your request for discount theater tickets, sign up at http://www.playbill.com . They have a lot of special offers that can be booked (usually) online, by phone, or in person at the theater. I hate standing in line and therefore prefer this method of getting discounts over the TKTS booth or waiting in line at the theater for cancellations.

(By the way, there are other similar websites, but the Playbill one seems pretty comprehensive and I've had very good luck getting decent seats at good prices with them.)

There is some good info in this thread about TKTS Broadway Tickets as well as some other things to do in NYC which may or may not be of interest to you.

Also this thread tells how to get some nice discounts at some NYC Restarants (many good only after 8pm)... links near the beginning of the thread have expired but near the end are current.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 1 month later...

Thanks again for the bidding help.

We really enjoyed our stay in New York City.

Our hotel room was on the 31st floor with a great view of the city.

We used the TKTS booth twice to see 42nd street and Stomp. Both were great shows.

Thanks again,

MAC

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]