Hotwire Hotel: 3* New York City (Brooklyn) Comfort Inn Brooklyn Bridge

fcc11
By fcc11,
in

Just purchased 1 night- 10/19/07 at the Comfort Inn Brooklyn Bridge with listed amenities of complimentary breakfast/internet.Was very suprised since this has been sited as a 2 1/2 *. I did email Hotwire that a Comfort Inn in an industrial section of Brooklyn (279 Butler St- nowhere near the Brooklyn Bridge but near the Gowanus Canal!)doesn't seem to merit 3*.At least The 3* Holiday Inn Express is right on busy 4th Ave. Hotwire representative replied that hotel has been researched and rating upgraded to 3*. I do know the area so I'll make do- probably do subway to 3rd Avenue bus to get closer to hotel at night. Anyone had experience here would appreciate travel tips. Oh well... at least the price is very good for this date.

I stayed here two weeks ago, here is my Comfort Inn Brooklyn Bridge post.

this is just another example of HOTWIRE's "star inflation" of at least 1/2 to 1 star on many properties. This property is virtually identical to the Brooklyn Day's Inn rated 2* by Priceline. I would absolutely stay here again, it is a fairly new hotel, but its a stretch to add "Brooklyn Bridge" to the name of the hotel, but I guess they have to distinguish the property from other Comfort Inns. It probably sounds better than Comfort Inn Battery Tunnel... This is sort of in the Park Slope neighborhood and I walked to El Viejo Yayo, a Spanish Restaurant at 36 Fifth Ave., passing several bars that were packed with twenty-somethings spilling out onto the sidewalk. There are also some higer end restaurants within walking distance as well. Juniors is close by and I almost went there for a burger, onion rings and cheesecake, but my cardiologist intervened....maybe next time.

Just be advised that the parking at this hotel is a whopping $26 plus tax, but I ended up grabbing a spot on the street in front of the hotel. It also cracks me up that this hotel serves retched, formerly frozen bagels on the breakfast bar while posting rack rates as much as $300....yet its within a few blocks of the real thing.

Any advice about the area at night. Not planning to stay out late- probably betwen 10pm-11pm latest so is it advisable to get off at Union subway station and walk down 4th Ave and up Butler St (is it really a deserted stretch?)or is there a better route that is more populated at night? I'm also thinking to get off at another subway station and then transfer over to bus route on 3rd ave so i'll get closer to hotel.

Butler Street between 3rd and 4th is kind of desolate, industrial buildings shuttered for the night. I walked along 3rd Ave and it was fine for me around 9:00 pm. I'm not familiar with Union station, but it looks like Pacific St. station is about the same distance to the hotel.

• 1 month later...

Update: After 10 emails and mailing a package of documents including tripadviser reviews, map of area, and brooklyn websites describing the hotel and unsafe area. Hotwire refunded my purchase. So patience,lots of facts, and report to credit card co. finally worked. Still a 3* but with more negative feedback ,rating might change.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]