lcf76
By lcf76,
in

Here's what I've bid and rebid:

Starting bid: $75

rebid: $80

rebid: $82

rebid: $84

rebid: $85 (this is really where I want to stop)

So, I got a lot of "We're sorry...".

I'm willing to try 3* to get a low price (with taxes, the $85 bid turns into $100/night which is what I'd like to stay under). In the new downtown areas, which area has the most desirable 3* hotels?? In the meantime, I might make a standard reservation so I can have some safety net if PL doesn't come through for me.

I'm not encouraging you to spend more than you want but some people have had success at $90 for 4* when a few dollars less was rejected.

If you go the 3* route most people prefer the 3* hotels in the Downtown zone (Hilton, Marriott) over the 3* in the Convention Center zone (Red Lion, Doubletree, Holiday Inn). But 3* in Convention Center usually cost less than Downtown and they charge less for parking.

For 3* CC I'd start around $36 and go up. For 3* Downtown I"d start at $45.

Your trip is still more than two weeks off. If you really prefer a 4* I think you can keep bidding awhile before you drop down to 3*. We've seen many instances of a bidder not winning 4* DT Portland until a week or less before their stay. If you wait it out you should book a cancellable backup now.

4* prices for your dates are moderately strong: Westin $169, Paramount $169, Benson $179, Vintage Plaza and Monaco $209. Still I think it's possible you could win a 4* for $90 or less if you're patient.

As for the Four Points on HOTWIRE for $74...I've stayed there twice via Priceline (as a 3*) and I like it. It's much nicer on the inside than it looks when you drive by. The light rail stops almost in front of the Four Points and it's a very short walk to Waterfront Park. The feel of the Four Points is more like a Boutique than other 3* hotels like Hilton or Marriott, which are more business oriented. Not sure what type of hotels you like.

You can probably win a 3* on Priceline for less than $74 though.

Hi LCF76

I am looking for a 4* for 10/16 and I'm wondering what you've seen out there lately or what you've decided to do? We are just coming up on 1 week out from arrival date and I'm hoping things loosen up. I just bid up to 85 tonight (started at 75) and I'm going to hold off a couple more days and see if I can get accepted.

Bingo

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]