Priceline Hotel: 2.5* in Omaha

rslattery
By rslattery,
in

I was prepared to bid on a 3* hotel in Downtown Omaha, but when I went to place my bid, the highest option was for a 2.5* hotel. I know there are 3* hotels that have previously been won by other bidders. Have they been downgraded or does it mean they are no longer participating? From my research, I only see either 3* or 1* hotels downtown, I don't even know what 2.5* hotels would be downtown? Any suggestions?

The 3*'s in the downtown zone were downgraded a few months back. Both the Hilton and the Doubletree are now at the 2.5* level. The Embassy Suites still lists at the 3* level but has not shown up on the NYOP side of priceline for some time which I would assume is why they now only allow bidding up to the 2.5* level in the downtown zone. Either that or they moved the ES into the west zone...but they would need to adjust the map for the west zone if that was the case.

• 2 weeks later...

Hilton usually doesn't allow its hotels to be the only 3* in a zone. When that happens Hilton has Priceline downgrade those hotels to 2.5*, whether the downgrade is merited or not. If a Hilton (or any other brand) has the only 3* in the zone then customers know they're guraranteed to win that hotel by bidding on Priceline, and nobody would pay full price.

The Hilton and Doubletree (which is a Hilton brand) were rated 3* when the Sheraton was also participating as a 3* in the Downtown zone. When Sheraton changed ownership, and apparently dropped out of Priceline, the only 3*'s left in the Downtown zone were Hilton properties. The downgrade was probably due to Hilton's request then. As a 2.5* the Hilton properties compete with other 2.5* Marriott properties in the zone.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]