Hotwire Hotel: 3* Paris (Opera-Grand Boulevard) Best Western Bergere Opera

Rossi
By Rossi,
in

I will be staying in Paris from Sept 21-Sept 25 2007.

I would like to pay around $100 in either Champ Elysees, Opera Quarted or Eiffel Tower.

I have used Priceline before to book hotels in the US with no real stratergy but I've gotten good deals. I just tryied my "non Stratergy" stratergy and it didn't work.... So I was wondering if maybe someone can help me in how I should approach this bidding to make it a good one?

Thank you!!

First, I'd make a backup reservation. Then you'll have a basis to know if you want to go higher than $100. At this late date, the choices may not be so great.

September and October tend to be very busy months in Paris due to trade fairs and conventions, and a quick look at your dates suggests that prices are pretty high, both on Hotwire and conventionally.

Did you purposefully exclude the St. Germain - Latin Quarter - Montparnasse zone? In my opinion, the best zone is Opera Quarter East, followed by STG - LQ - M. (If you are able to get a hotel in the northern part of StG - LQ - M, then they would be at least equal, but most hotels that show up are in the southern part.)

Particularly during a heavy business travel time, it's possible the weekend part of your stay will be rather cheaper than the weekday part of your stay, so you might want to consider bidding for September 21-24, and then the 25th separately or as a conventional booking.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Are you willing to pay more for a 4* vs. a 3* or are you looking for the least expensive 3* or better hotel for your stay?

Based upon the info from WillTravel can you clarify/confirm which zones, by priceline name, you're willing to bid... we'll then be able to suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hi There

Thank you very much for your reply.

I guess I am looking for the best hotel fo the least money but I am not set on a 4* so a 3* would be fine. Looking at the previous posts I also think that maybe $100 is somewhat slim, so I can definatelly go up on that.

On the zones, I would like to stay at Champ Elysees, Opera Quarter or Eiffel Tower. And St. Germain - Latin Quarter - Montparnasse zone as suggested (which looks like a great area)

Thanks again for all your help

I did a lot of research on hotels in Paris for my Oct 7th stay. I would definately go with the St Germain 4 star as you will prob get the Marriot which all the reviews I have been reading they really like this hotel. It took me 3 days starting at $85 and I finally got at $125 but it included a holiday Sunday. I guess I could've split my days and got cheaper but after much reasearch 125 is great for 4 star hotel in Paris. You can bid on 4 star St germain starting at $85 ( the cheapest I saw someone get) and ( if you don't win) then add the Montmarte area which only has 3star so you get a free bid -( just only leave 4 star as option) then just increase bid every 24 hours until you get it. Hope this isn't too confusing. Good luck!

Sue

I am not set on a 4* so a 3* would be fine
Do note that star ratings are different in Europe than in the US... Europeans star ratings are a bit more 'generous' than their US couterparts. For example, a Holiday Inn, which is almost always about a 3* in the US, is more likely to be a 4* overseas. Just want to make sure you are familiar with the differences.
I also think that maybe $100 is somewhat slim, so I can definatelly go up on that
What is your <new> maximum bid?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hi Sue

Thank you very much for your feedback and tips!!! I really appreciate it. I would love to have the same outcome as you did, so I will let you know how it goes :)

Thanks again for all the precios feedback, its my first time using Priceline overseas and I was so lost, this is such a great fortum

Thanks again for all your support and have a GREAT time in Paris :)

Rossi

Do note that star ratings are different in Europe than in the US... Europeans star ratings are a bit more 'generous' than their US couterparts. For example, a Holiday Inn, which is almost always about a 3* in the US, is more likely to be a 4* overseas. Just want to make sure you are familiar with the differences.
Thank you very much for the feedback on the star rating that is great.

So do you want to go up to your maximum bid first for a 4* hotel... or is budget more of a factor and the least expenisve 3* or better hotel will do?

Here is the new Status, I applied to my best hability some strategies posted here

I used SavingsBarn.com every time I did

So I started as follows:

4*

STG $110 REJECTED

Added Opera $125 REJECTED

Added Eiffel $130 REJECTED

Added Champ $135 REJECTED

Added Montmarted $140 REJECTED

I then had my husband try

4*

STG $145 REJECTED

Added Opera $150 REJECTED

Added Eiffel $155 REJECTED

Added Champ $155 REJECTED

Added Montmarted $155 REJECTED (I figured it was worth a shot)

In my desesperation opted to 3*

STG $100 REJECTED

Added Opera $105 REJECTED

Added Eiffel $110 REJECTED

Added Champ $120 REJECTED

So, no luck for me today, I am not sure if it makes sense to keep going up? Does anyone know once they reject all those times if they are likelly to accept again the same bids, the hotels I mean.

Ohhhh something else I forgot to mention, after 2 rejections or so I would close the browser and ever agan though savingsbarn.com, and retype everything I think I read that somewhere

So any ideas? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks again,

Rossi

The idea behind knowing your back-up plan is to set a realistic maximum bid. Maybe $150 is the right number, maybe it's not realistic based upon what you will ultimately end up paying if you're not successful thru priceline (or HOTWIRE)... maybe it is if you're willing to stay by the airport, but we won't know unless you know what you will do if unsuccessful with priceline.

Have you researched any specific back-up plans, and how much they will cost, if you're not successful in your bidding? (HOTWIRE isn't a good back-up plan since you can't make a cancellable reservation thru them and the offering you think will be your 'fallback' can disappear at any time). We've often seen users lowball, figuring that they would just purchase the HOTWIRE hotel at $xx if they're unsuccessful with priceline... then 2 days before their arrival they still haven't won a bid and the HOTWIRE hotel disappears (or triples in prices)

So here is the final update, not what I had expected but I think at then end is not a bad one.

I did my final bidding today in priceline (Since I leave on Thursday I was so stress on this) , I started on 4* from $130 up to $166 and got rejected. Then moved on to 3* and Bid up to $160 and got rejected again.

So I went to Hotwire thanks to your advise and spoted a 3* in Grand Opera for $166 so I booked it

The hotel is the following:

Best Western Bergere Opera See details

34 Rue Berg re

Paris, 75009

France

and since I read this on another post, to write down the amenities, they were the following:

Details for your 3-star hotel in Op

Congratulations on your success!

To give you an idea of the "deal" that this is, if you search HOTWIRE now the least expensive 3* in this area for your dates is $235!

Thank you for sharing your results with the board and helping us add this property to our Hotwire Hotel List.

Also, thanks for the compliments on the site... we're glad you have found it helpful.

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]