Priceline Hotel: $100 for Sept/Oct?

oceanik
By oceanik,
in

Hi all,

I used Priceline once, a few years ago with great success and I would now like to find a (good) hotel in NYC for a good price (of course)

I am looking for 1 week, end of September - Beginning of October

Midtown if possible or more to the south

How can I know where to start bidding (in $)?

I've heard a guy finding a 4* for $85 !??? (Not sure about the location and dates though)

Anyway is there a place where we know what to expect... like for September, Midtown, a 3* starts at $60, a 4* starts at $100, for Upper East side etc...?

According to this forum, Sept/Oct 2006 the 4* (MTW) Hilton is around $120-$130

So what can I have for $100 max (if anything)?

One more question: when should I start bidding if I am interested in the last Saturday of Sept onward?

Thanks!

If something can go wrong, it will.

If anything simply cannot go wrong, it will anyway.

Rates change over the years and things are busier on some days this year than they were the same day last year. In other words, you cannot expect to get something for a certain price because someone did last year. Just because someone got something for a certain day, the next person bidding for that same day may not get the same thing or anything at all - you just can't go at all on what someone else gets (or got.)

The other issue is that you may find you have more success splitting your stay. If you bid for a week, chances are that a hotel may have priceline availability for only part of the time.

If you are ready to bid now, then you should start bidding immediately.

Hotwire doesn't seem to have anything for your dates (yet, at least) as Priceline on Hotwire are $250+.

Even for a 3*?

That's very unfortunate :)

I don't have any specific dates at this time

I don't care about the "colder" weather

I still want to spend most of the time walking in the city and hopefully under a blue sky

Sept 29th to Oct 6th for instance

You can certainly try, but I'd be surprised if you could get a 3* for under $100 during this time period. Have you searched for 'traditional rates' during this time period? What is the best rate you're able to find for a 3* or better property? (use our BetterChecker to assist in your search.

Let us know what you find.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hotels are really pricey in the good locations midtown and downtown

Would it be a good idea to find a hotel in UES/EWS and take a cab everyday to go downtown? (the subway is an option too)

Are the hotels significantly cheaper in those areas?

How much would be a cab from, let say 96th St to Grand central?

Thanks

If you stay in the 90's you're likley looking at lower quality hotels, as i don't think there are any major hotel chains in this area, so i don't think you're making an apples-to-apples comparison. A taxi would be about $15-$20.

Is there a specific hotel you're considering at this location?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Sorry about my ignorance, but how long would it take from 96 St to Civic center by subway?

If it is less than 20 minutes then the 90s should be fine

I just need a decent, clean, safe and somewhat close to public transportation hotel

Obviously if I can find a 3/4* for the price of a hostel that would be greatly appreciated :)

The subway ride would be less than 20 minutes, but again, you're not comparing apples-to-apples as the hotels in the UES and UWS are not of the calibur as the 3* hotels in midtown. Is there a specific property that you're considering (that you think you can get for under $100 this time of year) as $100 typcially doesn't go very far in NYC. As well, as you get into the UES and UWS, and the hotels become more 'independents' and less 'chain oriented' the quality can go downhill very quickly... you may not meet your requirements of 'decent, clean, and safe'.

See if eacyclick offers anything in the sub-$100 range which may meet your needs (some are shared bath situations, so read descriptions completely)

• 2 weeks later...

I want to stay 1 week anywhere in Manhattan from Sept 29th to Oct 6th

There are people in the past few weeks who found a 4* for $120

I tried 3 nights for $100 in a 4 then 3 then 2.5 then 2 then 1 star and nothing was not accepted

I can't even have a 1* for $100!???

I have had the same problem, searching for anything in Manhattan for October. (15-18 / 15-21)

I tried up to $110, for 2* and got nothing.

Even the hotel Carter (new website) is $115 for a double room.

I firtst thought of staying in a hostel (Private room shared bath) for around $80-100 a night but now I'll stay outside of manhattan.

Anywhay good luck, there might be sometinh out there!

/S

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]