Priceline Hotel: 4* San Diego (Downtown-Harbor Island) Hilton Gaslamp Quarter

Steve_C
By Steve_C,
in

Hi, me and my gf will be in San Diego, checking in 8/28 and checking out 9/01. Would perfer something in La Jolla, I don't think they charge for overnight parking or charge less compared to downtown. First time we will be in San Diego, so really not much of a preference as long as it's close to the coast, maybe Mission Bay, Old Town, Gaslamp quarters? Budget.... I guess the cheaper the better, we will be going to Vegas for a few days after San Diego. :)

Thanks in advance, and i hope i provided all the information you guys will need.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Would perfer something in La Jolla...

You can only guarantee that your hotel will be within the shaded boundary set by priceline. If you look at how priceline defines the Coastal zone, are you able to accept a hotel anywhere within the shaded boundary? (NOTE how north the Coastal zone extends... could be are from the Gaslamp Quarter and other areas you've mentioned, which are in Priceline's Downtown-Harbor Island zone)

You'll also need to give us a maximum bid amount so that we don't suggest a strategy that goes higher than you wish to spend.

Let us know the above and we'll sugest a strategy to follow.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

For $130 you can usually win a 4* in Downtown or Coastal zones. You might also be able to win a 4* in Coronado zone with that limit.

You also wrote "the cheaper the better".

Are you looking for the cheapest 4* available? If so, which zones are acceptable?

Or would you like to spend less and bid for a 3* or 2.5*? If so, in which zones?

Cheaper the better means that if i can get something for 70-80/night, that would be great, especially since we will be going to vegas for Labor Day weekend. Probably going to want to stick with 4*, read on Travelocity, Hotels.com, Expedia and a few other sites, and most of the places under a 4* sound like nightmares.

Downtown sounds tempting, especially the Gaslamp Quarters, but $20-$30 for over night parking x 4 nights kinda kills the deal. I was hoping something around La Jolla/Oldtown/Mission Bay will either have free parking for staying guests, or atleast something cheaper then $30 per night to park a car.

Del Mar zone is a bit further north then I would like, but if we can get some good hotels for a good price there, I'll take it. Also San Diego Costal, Point Loma, Shelter Island, Old Town, Downtown San Diego, Harbor Island and Coronado would work as well. Being from Colorado where we are land locked, I guess I am biased to anywhere that is near the beaches.

Once again, thanks for your help. I was shocked at the prices for a decent hotel in San Diego, but I am so grateful that I came upon this site.

From the looks of prices on Hotwire you should be able to get a 4* DT for $80-$105 per night for your dates. You have a lot of free rebids in SD at the 4* level. Del Mar has a few nice hotels that are 3* and some times can be had for $60-$80.

One other thing a lot of hotels in La Jolla charge for parking also.

So to confirm....

You're looking for the least expensive 4* property in any of the following zones:

Costal

Point Loma-Shelter Island-Old Town

Downtown-Harbor Island

Coronado

With a limit of $130.

Please confirm and we'll suggest a strategy for you to follow.

I took off Point Loma-Shelter Island-Old Town because it doesn't look like there is anything that is 4* there. But the above is now correct.

Thank you for all the input and advise so far and especially thanks for all the help!

At the 4* level you have 11 re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* (Costal) and (Downtown-Harbor Island) and (Coronado)...

Bid $70, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $75, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $80, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $85, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $90, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $95, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $100, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $105, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $110, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $115, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $118, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $120.

I stopped at $120 above as HOTWIRE has 4* hotels within the zones you're bidding above at $123-$130, so if the above should fail (although i do think it'll be successful) you'll just swich over to HOTWIRE and take one of their offers there.

Any qeustions feel free to ask.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks to all for all the help! This is the first time i've ever bid on priceline and I would like to say I wouldn't haven't been able to get such a decent rate without this forum.

Ended up getting the Hilton Gaslamp Quarters for $101/night + 58.10 fees, I was charged 462.10.

Reading up on this hotel, anyone care to input any good/bad comments or suggestions? Also is there any alternatives to valet parking @ $30/night?

What was your last bid before the winning bid?

The Hilton is the hotel I thought you would get but I thought it would be at a bid of less then $100. There are some lots around the area that charge less but I don't know where they are and I think once you leave the lot you have to pay again. There is street parking around the hotel but you have to pay the meter during the day and at night you have to make sure you are parked on the right side of the street because of street cleaning. I usualy just bite the bullet here and pay up. You got a great location unless they put you on the side of the hotel by the trolly in witch case you better have your ear plugs handy. You can walk to everything from here and take the trolly thats right outside of the door to a lot of places including Old Town and Mexico .

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]