Priceline Hotel: 3* Palm Beach (Airport PBI) Crowne Plaza

ilovetravel
By ilovetravel,
in

First time here! Need 1 night Fort Lauderdale hotel pre-cruise, Jan. 4-5, 2008. Preferably near airport with complimentary shuttle. I'm shocked at the exorbitant prices, even of the cheaper hotel chains. Is this typical in January? The only way for a reasonable price will be through Priceline.

Thank you!

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Like anything else bought/sold... price is a function of supply and demand.

What do you consider "reasonable". What is your maximum bid amount? What is your minimum star quality? Would you also consider the Downtown zone (which is also fairly close to the cruise ship terminal)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Did some checking at Los Angeles Airport, same dates: 3* Hilton $129.(Fort Lauderdale $299.) & 4* Renaissance $119.(Fort Lauderdale $299.) We have taken a cruise from the port near L.A.

Anyway, $150. maximum bid amount.(including taxes) Minimum stars 2.5. Downtown is O.K.

Thanks very much!

I'm confused... what do the rates in Los Angeles have to do with this stay in Ft Lauderdale?

L.A. is a cruise port as well, just other ocean! A Renaissance is a Renaissance wherever it is, so why the huge difference in price? If there is a special event on in F.L. at that time(Jan.08) then I suppose that would explain the prices!

You can't compare the two cities as each has their own supply/demand factors.

If Ft. Lauderdale has 8 cruise ships in town that day, that is 8 ships of potential cruise ship passengers looking for a room... while on the same date what if there is only one ship in Los Angeles; thus you can see the flawed logic in comparing the two cities.

$150. maximum bid amount.(including taxes)
What is your maximum bid amount (before fees and taxes). Are you willing to pay more for a 3* property vs. a 2.5* property, or is the least expensive 2.5* or better hotel what you're seeking?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

It could be as simple as many people want to cruise to warmer climates in January. Holland America has a 113 day world cruise departing on/around January 5 from Ft. Lauderdale.

And I agree that you can't compare Los Angeles to Ft. Lauderdale... one has absolutely nothing to do with the other.

Why don't you call one of the hotels you referenced and ask them why their prices are so high in January and if there is a convention or something going on?

I find Florida in general is outrageous lately; but they have also been sacked with several billion dollars in damages with the hurricanes (Wilma, Katrina to name two) and I think their insurance rates have at least tripled... that's why I think beach area hotels are so expensive these days.

You can't compare the two cities as each has their own supply/demand factors.

If Ft. Lauderdale has 8 cruise ships in town that day, that is 8 ships of potential cruise ship passengers looking for a room... while on the same date what if there is only one ship in Los Angeles; thus you can see the flawed logic in comparing the two cities.

What is your maximum bid amount (before fees and taxes). Are you willing to pay more for a 3* property vs. a 2.5* property, or is the least expensive 2.5* or better hotel what you're seeking?

O.K., thanks for explaining that to me, I understand it now! That's why I wrote in, thanks again for your help! Since I am new to Priceline, I appreciate your expertise. Since there isn't that much difference in price between a 2.5* and a 3*, I think, I'd aim for a 3*. Interesting that Holiday Inn is listed as a 2.5* and a 3*. Would you be able to name a good starting bid for a 3* airport hotel? Then I need to think all that over for a while!

Thank you very much!

It could be as simple as many people want to cruise to warmer climates in January. Holland America has a 113 day world cruise departing on/around January 5 from Ft. Lauderdale.

And I agree that you can't compare Los Angeles to Ft. Lauderdale... one has absolutely nothing to do with the other.

Why don't you call one of the hotels you referenced and ask them why their prices are so high in January and if there is a convention or something going on?

I find Florida in general is outrageous lately; but they have also been sacked with several billion dollars in damages with the hurricanes (Wilma, Katrina to name two) and I think their insurance rates have at least tripled... that's why I think beach area hotels are so expensive these days.

Thanks for the information, it's making more sense now! It was just initially a big shock to see for example, Days Inn at $229.(Priceline) Thank you again!

O.K., thanks for explaining that to me, I understand it now! That's why I wrote in, thanks again for your help! Since I am new to Priceline, I appreciate your expertise. Since there isn't that much difference in price between a 2.5* and a 3*, I think, I'd aim for a 3*. Interesting that Holiday Inn is listed as a 2.5* and a 3*. Would you be able to name a good starting bid for a 3* airport hotel? Then I need to think all that over for a while!

Thank you very much!

P.S. $130. maximum bid before taxes

Would you be able to name a good starting bid for a 3* airport hotel? Then I need to think all that over for a while!

Let us know once your thoughts are complete and you're ready to bid again. We look at current rates when developing a suggested strategy, and since rates may change between now and the time you're ready to bid, it doesn't make sense to go thru the process until you're ready to bid again.

Areas close to the airport, i.e. Hollywood, would also be fine

Close to one person is far to another (and vice-versa)... please let us know exactly which zone(s) you're willing to bid. Earlier you mentioned Downtown is also acceptable, but haven't listed it here. Also, note that while parts of the Hollywood zone are close to the airport, you could get a property in the south part of the zone, which may be a bit further then you expect (if you're only focussing your eyes on the north part of the zone)

Most cruiseship passengers bid the Airport and Downtown zones.. and only venture outside of that area if having trouble with those two zones.

Did you want to bid up to your limit first for a 4* before trying for a 3* or do you just want the least expensive 3* or better hotel in the zone(s) you select.

Let us know the above and we'll move forward accordingly.

At the 4* level you have four re-bid zones available... only one at the 3* level. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* Downtown...

Bid $70, if rejected add re-bid zone

Bid $75, if rejected add re-bid zone

Bid $80, if rejected add re-bid zone

Bid $85, if rejected add re-bid zone

Bid $90, if rejected closer browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* Downtown...

Bid $60, if rejected add re-bid zone

Bid $65, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* Airport...

Bid $60, if rejected add re-bid zone

Bid $65, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* Airport and Downtown...

Bid $70, if rejected add re-bid zone

Bid $75.

The above may currently prove to be too low given the high prices we're currently seeing for your date, but i'd start here since you have so much time before your stay. If rejected dont' get discouraged, just post back and we'll revise accordingly.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Pretty well have ruled out staying in Fort Lauderdale pre-cruise Jan. 4-5, 2008. I can't justify paying the prices both Priceline and HOTWIRE want. Since we are spending a few days in Orlando before the cruise, I think we'll rent a car on the 4th, drive down mid-day, and stay somewhere an hour or so out of F.L. for the night.

Probably will use Priceline again in the future. The prices at this particular time for me are "unreasonable."

• 3 weeks later...

Will be staying in West Palm Beach for the night of January 4, 2008. I bid up to $90. on a 3 star hotel, then got a little note from Priceline saying if I bid another $22. my price would be accepted. So, final price was $112., and got the Crowne Plaza at the airport, West Palm Beach.

I'm very interested what the prices will be for other people wanting rooms early January 2008!

Just a little more info on FLL as I live here.

January is the middle of winter, and Florida does not have snow.

Therefore, not only can you have 8 mega cruise ship's passengers vying for rooms, there are also tourists in general looking for rooms.

From 15DEC to 10JAN, we are in the peak of peak season because of Christmas breaks, and I have seen the Ft. Lauderdale Airport Sheraton ask for $399 during that period. More sickening than that is that people are actually paying it!

There are many areas within 25 miles of the pier, where if you're going to have a car, are much more reasonable. It's a shame I did not see your post before you "won" in West Palm Beach.

Either way, have a great trip.

Thanks for your concern! Yes, even on the internet, we can't find all the information we need to know, like someone who actually lives there. I do understand about the peak season, and I'm not unhappy about staying in WPB. After the cruise, my husband and I need to get over the the Palm Beach Airport for departure. Is the train(not Amtrak, the local one), good to get there? Thank you very much!

The train is called Tri-Rail. It will stop in West Palm Beach and is probably a $10 - $15 cab ride to the airport. They run pretty regularly during rush hour, but spotty in the middle of the day. Takes about 1.5 hrs from Ft. Lauderdale. You didn't say where you are starting from, but it isn't near the port. you'll have to get to the station to pick it up. You might do better to with the Super Shuttle, if it will take you to PBI.

You got a good price for the hotel.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]