Priceline Hotel: 4* San Francisco (USE) Grand Hyatt

westie
By westie,
in

I have Dollar @ $400 from July 30 to August 10, if I change the pickup to August 2, less days, Dollar wants $520, so I am locked into the car.

Friends suggested staying in SF for the 3 days, rather than stay in Santa Clara the whole time.

Should I go stay in Burlingame, and have free parking, and Bart it in. My son will be with me, so we won?t be out till the wee hours or anything.

I?m told if I go to SF from Santa Clara, I still need to cab it into Union Square. How long would that take and when is the last train?

I am open to suggestions.

When thereuare sees this he'll merge it with your other thread for the same days.

My personal feeling is this: You're spending 11 days in the Bay area and not staying in downtown SF for at least a few of those days, if you can find a decent hotel you can afford, would be a missed opportunity.

It's about 45 miles from Santa Clara to downtown SF...a long unpleasant commute and a cabride could be $80, $90 each way (guessing). Santa Clara doesn't merit 8 days of your 11 day visit, imo, unless you're planning to stay in your room and watch TV.

You shouldn't let your rental car reservation dictate where you stay. Hotwire has a midsize for $380.77 for 8/2-8/10....less than you're paying Dollar. You can probably do better than $380 for a rental car on Priceline.

I'm not trying to railroad you into doing something you don't want. If you prefer keeping your car reservation and staying near the Airport I'll help you with that too. Some people don't like staying in a busy Downtown like SF and there's nothing wrong with that. Whatever you want.

But Downtown SF seems like a natural and obvious choice to me, unless you have reasons to prefer elsewhere. (And you don't have to tell me your reasons.)

So just let me know if you want Downtown or the Airport area and we'll take it from there.

I hadn't realized your son will be with you in SF. That means you'll need two beds, I presume, and changes the approach to things.

But the first decision you have to make is whether you want to stay Downtown or not, and if so, what your bidding limit is.

When thereuare sees this he'll merge it with your other thread for the same days.

My personal feeling is this: You're spending 11 days in the Bay area and not staying in downtown SF for at least a few of those days, if you can find a decent hotel you can afford, would be a missed opportunity.

It's about 45 miles from Santa Clara to downtown SF...a long unpleasant commute and a cabride could be $80, $90 each way (guessing). Santa Clara doesn't merit 8 days of your 11 day visit, imo, unless you're planning to stay in your room and watch TV.

You shouldn't let your rental car reservation dictate where you stay. Hotwire has a midsize for $380.77 for 8/2-8/10....less than you're paying Dollar. You can probably do better than $380 for a rental car on Priceline.

I'm not trying to railroad you into doing something you don't want. If you prefer keeping your car reservation and staying near the Airport I'll help you with that too. Some people don't like staying in a busy Downtown like SF and there's nothing wrong with that. Whatever you want.

But Downtown SF seems like a natural and obvious choice to me, unless you have reasons to prefer elsewhere. (And you don't have to tell me your reasons.)

So just let me know if you want Downtown or the Airport area and we'll take it from there.

I hadn't realized your son will be with you in SF. That means you'll need two beds, I presume, and changes the approach to things.

But the first decision you have to make is whether you want to stay Downtown or not, and if so, what your bidding limit is.

I prefer to stay USE or USW. I have a mid size for now, but I will check Priceline. I would like to pay around $80+parking. But willing to go up to $100+parking, as I am going to go cheap the rest of my stay in Santa Clara.

Thanks

If you require 2 beds use Hotwire, not Priceline. On Hotwire you can input a party of 3 and you'll only be offered options with 2 beds. Priceline only guarantees double occupancy, which could be one queen bed.

When I enter "3 adults" on Hotwire the best deal I see is a 3* in the Japantown-Civic Center North zone for $122, which appears to be the Opal Hotel. Breakfast and internet are free. Parking is $25/night, which is low by SF standards. It's not in Union Square but it's less than a mile away. Opal's regular price for a two bed room is $150, or $135 with AAA, so the savings on Hotwire aren't extreme.

If you want to stay in Union Square with 2 beds Hotwire's cheapest are a 3* in USE for $134 or a 3.5* in USW for $169.

It's likely you could win a 3* or better in USE or USW on Priceline for $80-100, but there wouldn't be the guarantee of two beds on Priceline.

If you go with the Hotwire please use this HOTWIRE link. If you want to try Priceline let us know and someone will provide a specific strategy tomorrow.

If you want two beds guarantee AND under $100 you might have to go back to Airport or South SF zones.

When bidding for a 4* you have three free rebid zones. When bidding for a 3* or Boutique (which is sort of like a 3.5* in Priceline's hierarchy) you have one free rebid zone. If you have any questions about your free rebid zones please ask before you bid.

For a 4* with your $100 limit I suggest you select USW and bid $75.

If rejected close your browser and start a new bid of $75 for a 4* in USE.

Then USE+USW at $80. Then add your three free rebids at $85, $92, and $100.

============

For a Boutique I suggest $75 for in USW.

Add Civic Center and bid $80.

Close browser and start new bid of $75/Boutique in USE.

Add Civic Center and bid $80.

Close browser and start new bid of $85 for Boutique/USW + USE.

Add Civic Center at $90.

============

Each time you close your browser please go back to SavingsBarn.com to initiate your new bid.

Good luck!

You can park your car free on Harrison St. between Spear St. and Fremont St., and then walk to your hotel. Pick it up when your stay is over. Also on Spear and Main streets between Harrison and Bryant. Just don't leave it parked in one spot for more than 76 hours, and pay attention to the street cleaning signs. There are occasional break-ins though.

If you get the Whitcomb hotel or the Civic Center Holiday Inn, you can park free in the two alleys that run from Mission Street to Howard Street between 9th street and 10th street.

In the above locations, you will have to arrive in the evening to find a space.

Another location, which is safer for the car and always available, is Corbett Ave west (up the hill) of Mars Street. I've never seen a break-in there. Here too, mind the street cleaning signs and don't exceed 76 hours. You can get from here to the Castro muni station on bus 37.

How did your bidding go, westie? I know your trip starts tomorrow so hopefully you won something.

Thanks for all your help. Worked on it till 4:30am, and finally got it.

Grand Hyatt @ $116.

Had to rework the car, cause Dollar was going to charge me $120 more for cancelling 3 days out of the 12 days. Reason they gave was availability, but I am not adding 3 days, I already have the car booked for the time frame.

I found a car with Enterprise, for less money, I pick it up in the city, and for $50 more, I return it @ the airport.

For August 7 to August 10, my son wil not be with me, so I might just go stay at a 1 or 2 star somewhere.

Using Savingsbarn,

following Betterbidding strategy,

started with 3 star from $75 to $90, no luck.

Switch to 4 star,

starting at $100, at $110, Priceline offered room for $132, wanted a $22 increase.

I declined, and inched up till $116.

THE PARKING IS $54 A DAY AT THE GRAND HYATT !!!!!!!!

Thanks COLFAX and Betterbidding.

I'm glad you finally found something, westie, and just in the nick of time!

The Grand Hyatt is a super location and it's now showing sold out for your dates! The other 4* hotels are mostly around $300 so I think you got a good deal too.

Let us know if you want any suggestions for your last 3 nights.

Wishing you and your son a wonderful time in SF. :)

You can park your car free on Harrison St. between Spear St. and Fremont St., and then walk to your hotel. Pick it up when your stay is over. Also on Spear and Main streets between Harrison and Bryant. Just don't leave it parked in one spot for more than 76 hours, and pay attention to the street cleaning signs. There are occasional break-ins though.

This is no longer valid. I drove by today and the city has placed 2-hour parking restriction signs, including weekends :)

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]