Priceline Hotel: Eugene/Springfield in August - any hints for PL win will be helpful

momof2qtz
By momof2qtz,
in

I'm traveling to Eugene Oregon at the beginning of August for 6 nights (Sun-Fri). I'm as budget-conscious as they come so any clues/hints or past experiences with this area/hotels/season will be greatly appreciated!

I've read the re-bid process and understand it - there's only 2 zones so it's pretty straight forward.

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

There are three 3* hotels in Eugene and unless there's a special event going on you can usally win one on Priceline for around $50-60.

Priceline offers 2* and 2.5* bidding in Eugene too, but so far nobody's reported winning those. I've tried for a 2.5* in Eugene myself a couple times (aiming for the Courtyard or Residence Inn) and got upgaded to 3*.

The 2.5* in Springfield (Courtyard) might be a little cheaper than the 3* in Eugene. Are you willing to stay in Springfield?

There's also a Crossland Suites in Springfield. It's never been reported won here but most Crossland hotels participate in Priceline. I don't know if Priceline rates the Springfield Crossland 2* or 1*. My semi-educated guess is you might win it around $34-$38. The rooms have kitchenettes (stove/fridge/microwave) but they're really small rooms, and not very comfortable if you have a travel partner.

If you'll post your exact travel dates I'll check HOTWIRE and see if anything looks good there.

Priceline offers 2* and 2.5* bidding in Eugene too, but so far nobody's reported winning those. I've tried for a 2.5* in Eugene myself a couple times (aiming for the Courtyard or Residence Inn) and got upgaded to 3*.

How did you get "upgraded"?

Thanks again for all the help!

Your Priceline bids can always be upgraded. That happens when a hotel with a higher star level than you bid for has a lower Priceline rate.

Consider a zone where the 2.5* hotel has a Priceline rate of $60 and the 3* has a Priceline rate of $50. If you bid $50 for 2.5* your bid will be upgraded to the 3* hotel because $50 was enough for 3* but not 2.5*. Make sense?

I can't say whether Crossland would suit you. They're really very basic accomodation, like a Motel 6 with a kitchenette. The rooms have exterior doors facing the parking lot (no central lobby). Some people don't like that setup and for security reasons prefer a hotel with a central lobby and rooms accessed off interior corridors.

If there's a Crossland in the city where you live you could go there and look at a room. I wouldn't suggest that if you were going to be in Eugene/Springfield for just one night, but for a six night stay I wouldn't want you stuck at a place you don't like.

Anyhow bidding for 2* in Springfield will probably be your cheapest. If you're willing to pay more for nicer then try for 2.5* in Springfield. Let us know your preference and we'll suggest a strategy either way.

Please start your Priceline bids with the link at SavingsBarn.com.

I suggest $40 for a 2.5* in Springfield. If rejected add Eugene and bid $42.

If rejected wait 24 hours and bid $44 for 2.5*/Springfield. Add Eugene and bid $46.

Wait 24 hours and repeat at $48 and $50.

Good luck and please let us know how it goes.

"Splitting the bid". Sometimes you have to split your bid to get accepted. If one night out of your six is sold out it will cause your entire bid to be rejected. Splitting allows you to win the shorter segments that are available. The downside of splitting is that you may have to switch hotels once during your stay. Are you willing to do that?

If you're willing to switch hotels once I suggst trying the following sets of dates; first five nights, then four nights.

8/5-8/10

8/6-8/11

8/5-8/9

8/7-8/11

For each set of dates I suggest bidding $45 for a 2.5* in Springfield, then add Eugene and bid $50. You don't have to wait 24 hours to try a new set of dates. You can bid all four sets of dates in one sitting.

If you don't want to split your bid then I suggest trying for the 2* in Eugene. You don't have to wait 24 hours to bid for a 2*. The 24 hour lockout only applies to bidding the exact same parameters you've already bid. I suggest $40 for a 2* in Eugene. Then wait 24 hours and try $45.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]