Priceline Hotel: Park Hyatt downtown Los Angeles

jimf
By jimf,
in

The Priceline list of 4* hotels for downtown Los Angeles lists the Park Hyatt. Searching the web I can only find a Park Hyatt in Century City. Have they changed ownership, or am I missing something obvious? (If so, I apologize in advance!)

I just noticed on the Priceline map page, when rolling over the Sheraton it says previously the hotel was the Hyatt, and an unknown Priceline participant. I think the map is dated 2007, but I'm not positive. I'm not finding any winning bids at a downtown Sheraton when doing a search. Would it be a pretty safe bet to assume they are not a participant?

No, that Sheraton is the previously Hyatt Regency.

It is not safe to assume that they're now longer participating... just that the hotel has not yet been reported under the Sheraton brand. It's also possible that the new owners have a higher Priceline rate than the surrounding area hotels, so while they still participate, they may not get reported for sometime until 1) somebody overbids or 2) the other hotels in the area are sold-out or don't load any priceline rates.

What are the dates of the stay you're seeking?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

OK, here's where I'm going with all this, it's kind of convoluted, but I'd love your feedback.

I would like to attend a conference in downtown LA, August 5-11. It's held in the Bonaventure. The Boneventure, Biltmore, and Wishire Grand offer discounted rooms in conjunction with the conference, and they are all booked. I assume that means the rooms alloted to attendees are all sold, because you can still go to their websites and find rooms available. Of the remaining 4* hotels, the only one I don't feel comfortable with is the Park Hyatt/Sheraton, which we're not sure about.

The discounts are not that great, Priceline winning bids are much better. When I look at what the winning bids in downtown LA are, going back to the first of the year, the hotels are mainly Bonaventure, with an occasional Omni, Biltmore, Wilshire Grand. So I guess my question is, if the hotels are not offering any more discounted rooms to attendees, does that necessarily mean they would not be offering anything on Priceline? If so, that would leave Omni, Checkers, and PH/Sheraton. And since I can't find a winning bid at that PH/S hotel for ages, how safely would you guess my chances for Omni, Checkers are, assuming I placed a bid they were willing to accept?

The hotels may still offer inventory to the opaque suppliers even though the convention rate is no longer available. The convention rates may have only been offered unitl a specific date (since this stay is only about 2 weeks away) OR the hotel may have only allocated a certain number of rooms for the convetnion, assuming the remaining guests who still want to stay at their property might book direct (at full price).

If you're trying to target/avoid specific properties, why not look consider HOTWIRE?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

So I guess my question is, if the hotels are not offering any more discounted rooms to attendees, does that necessarily mean they would not be offering anything on Priceline?
A hotel could sell out the rooms they've allotted to a convention and still have rooms on Priceline.
If so, that would leave Omni, Checkers, and PH/Sheraton. And since I can't find a winning bid at that PH/S hotel for ages, how safely would you guess my chances for Omni, Checkers are, assuming I placed a bid they were willing to accept?
You could win any 4* hotel in the zone. It's impossible to quantify the chances of winning any particular hotel or hotels unless there's only only hotel in the zone. You can view the historical data to see which hotels have come up most often, but that doesn't tell you what will happen in the future.

Since you have concerns about winning certain hotels I suggest bidding for 3 nights instead of all 6. If you win a hotel you like you can then try Add a Night for the other three nights. If you win something you don't want you won't be stuck there for 6 nights and can make other arrangements for the other 3 nights.

Since you have concerns about winning certain hotels I suggest bidding for 3 nights instead of all 6. If you win a hotel you like you can then try Add a Night for the other three nights

... but i'll add that you should only do this if you're willing to change hotels during your stay. There is no guarantee that the Add a Nite feature will be offered, and if it is, if there will be availability to fufill your request.

... but i'll add that you should only do this if you're willing to change hotels during your stay. There is no guarantee that the Add a Nite feature will be offered, and if it is, if there will be availability to fufill your request.

You've both been very helpful. Sounds like I should go Hotwire. Could you indulge me by checking my reasoning another step?

Checking hotel and car package on Hotwire, the 3.5* hotels offered downtown are Marriott and Millenium Biltmore. Hotwire list of 3.5* hotels, Marriott, Biltmore, Wilshire Grand, Bonaventure. Amenities match Marriott, Wilshire Grand. Going online today, the Wilshire Grand has no rooms available as per their website and Travelocity. It would appear to be the Marriott. What throws me a little bit is that Hotwire lists the rate as $99 marked down to $82 and there is nothing online for $99. Is there any validity to that $99 which makes me wonder if it's the worst room in the house?

Your logic is correct, but remember:

1) the hotel list is only previously reported hotels... you could be the first to receive a new hotel to add to the list

2) star ratings and amenities can change over time

2) the retail rate is often incorrect. Hotwire explains this that the retail rate is for a hotel of that star quality in that zone... not necessarily the particular hotel you'll be receiving.

My best guess would be the Marriott.

Please use this HOTWIRE link to begin any purchases you make.

Let us know how it goes or if we can be of further help.

• 3 months later...
The Priceline list of 4* hotels for downtown Los Angeles lists the Park Hyatt. Searching the web I can only find a Park Hyatt in Century City. Have they changed ownership, or am I missing something obvious? (If so, I apologize in advance!)

That hotel is now the Intercontinental, and it is a 4* through Priceline (and a nice hotel to boot!).

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]