Priceline Hotel: Newbie needs help with hotel

thumprbuni
By thumprbuni,
in

I'm new to forums/Priceline/Hotwire, so please forgive the ignorance if this is not the appropriate place for my questions. :)

I'm attending a training at Huntington Beach Police Department (2000 Main St) and am looking for a nearby 3.5 - 4* hotel for July 20-27.

I'll have a rental car, but still need something close as I'm from out of state and not real familiar with the area.

I don't want to start bidding before I know where I should be trying to stay. Hotel Huntington Beach was recommended by the training sponsor, but I've seen the reviews at TripAdvisor, et al, and didn't like what I read. Any hotel recommendations, including "hidden" fees (parking, etc) would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!!

I don't think you'll be successful for a 4* at $85 or under, but if you want to try, you have 7 re-bid zones available. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* Newport Beach-Huntington Beach...

Bid $60, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $65, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $70, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $75, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $78, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $80, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $83, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $85.

Any questions feel free to ask.

If the above is rejected do you want to:

1) wait it out and try again

2) lower your star rating

3) SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID?

4) consider other nearby zones

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Since you're not familiar with the area I'll mention that Priceline and Hotwire combine Huntington Beach and Newport Beach in one zone. You could win a hotel in Newport Beach, about 5-6 miles from your training. Would that still work for you?

Also $85 is lower than most people get a 4* for, so you'll probably have to raise your limit or try for a 3* hotel. Or split your bid and try for a few nights 4* and the rest 3*. Since you've got more than a month there's time to try some lowball bids.

Thanks for the info. As long as I was fairly close to the police department (5 or 6 miles), that would be ok. My police department is on a budget and I've only been approved for $85 a night. I have no problem lowering my expectations and looking for a 3 - 3.5* if someone could recommend one that wasn't a run down flea bag. Any suggestions? :)

does that make any sense?
Not really... you can't bid on a specific hotel, only a minimum star rating and zone (as defined by priceline)

Have you located the location of the police academy on the priceline regional map and then looked to see which zone it was in and which other zones (if any) are nearby? Once you determine the zones you can then use our Priceline Hotel List to see which properties have been reported in each zone and at each star level (although remember you could always be the first to report a new hotel to the list)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Ok, that part I get but don't I need to know the names of some hotels so I can check what they are rated and then look for the desired ratings in the needed zones? Just think if I didn't have your help what kind of trouble I could get myself into! Maybe I'm just making this more complicated than necessary. :)

$85 probably isn't realistic for a 4*. You should try $85 once so you'll see.

HOTWIRE has a 2* in Huntington-Newport for $39, probably something like an Extended Stay America, and a 3* Best Value at $76. You have a $76 option then, within your budget, which includes free breakfast. I don't know what hotel it is.

If it's $76 on HOTWIRE there's some chance you could win that hotel on Priceline for less than $76, either as a 3* or 2.5*.

Let us know whether you're willing to bid the 3* and 2.5* levels on Priceline in order to beat that $76. (How much does the hotel that was suggested to you cost?)

At the 3* level you have four re-bid zones available. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 3* Newport-Huntington Beach...

Bid $55, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $60, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $65, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $70, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $75.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]