Priceline Hotel: NYC Hotels October Help

RonanL
By RonanL,
in

Hi I've never used Priceline before but it seems to be a good way to save serious cash on NY hotels.

I'm going for 4 nights at the end of October (25th to 29th) with my girlfriend. Looking to stay somewhere nice without completely blowing the budget.

Can someone let me know how much approx I should expect to bid for a 3* or 4*.

Also wondering is there a huge difference in the various hotels at each range (i.e. can you end up staying in a dump if bidding at 3*). It all seems pretty risky given the number of dodgy overpriced hotels in NY. Am tempted to just pay up for somewhere I know will be nice if it is very risky.

Also wondering whether anyone could advise whether I should bid for a 3* or 4*.

By the way I probably should have added that the prices I've been looking at through normal channels is about $400 a night (after tax) for the Affinia Manhattan. From what I've heard its meant to be pretty nice.

For the risk of bidding blind I'd be hoping for around $200 a night. Is this reasonable??

Hi Looking for somewhere pretty central (my girlfriend has never been to NY before so will be hitting all the usual tourist spots).

Probably Midtown, though also considering downtown as probably better value and a bit more relaxed. Probably want to avoid Times Square. From what I remember its overpriced and not the best place to relax and sleep at night (not that I intend having a relaxing holiday but would like to have a chance to sleep when I need to).

Lived in NYC for a year in 2003 and haven't been back since. Hadn't realised how expensive NY hotels are.

Thanks for your help

Welcome to BetterBidding!

October is an expensive time in NYC (but if you think that is expensive... you should see November and December! :) )

I would start by looking at the hotels reported at each star level in each zone of the Priceline Hotel List. From there you can see if there are any properties you would be trying to avoid at a given star level and/or get a 'feel' for how priceline rates their properties.

If you determine the risk of using priceline is too much for you, then you may want to consider using HOTWIRE as we can often help you take a very educated guess as to which property you're being offered. Still no guarantees, but i'm proud to say we're right more often than we're wrong :) At least this way you'll be able to have a reasonable idea of which hotel you're likely to be receiving.

If you are looking to spend $400/nite (i wouldn't) i'd definatley consider the Affinia Dumont for $393/nite as it's one of the top rated hotels in NYC.

Let us know your thoughts and we'll take it from there.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hi can someone help me identify this hotel for $212 a night in October:

3.5 star hotel in Midtown South

This distinctive establishment offers comfortable rooms, personal service and some upscale features.

Amenities: Boutique hotel, fitness centre, business center, high-speed internet access

Tripadvisor rating 4/5; 80+ reviews

Thanks

Ronan

Also my dates are October 25th - 29th (4 nights). Don't know if it helps but they say the retail price is $330.65 per night.

Please keep all posts for the same stay in the same thread.

Unfortunately this property has not yet been identified. If i were to take a guess, i'd think the Hotel Chandler could be a good possibility, but i only have a moderate degree of confidence in that guess (in other words i'm not too sure... although everything does seem to fit)

Please use this HOTWIRE link to begin any purchases you make.

Let us know what you decide to do or if we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks yes the Hotel Chandler does definitely seem to fit the bill. Not 100% on it to be honest.

Presuming that time is on my side and that there will be a lot more offers in the coming weeks.

In general is it fair to say that priceline would be riskier than hotwire but the discounts greater. Still considering using priceline as well.

Still need to go through the hotel lists in detail!

By the way just to check to see if my skills at working out the hotels are improving, the other "best value" hotel on hotwire for those dates is:

3 star hotel in Times Square - Theatre District $179 a night

This midscale establishment offers more than just the basics in style, comfort and customer service.

Amenities: Fitness Centre, Business Center, Restaurant, High Speed Internet Access

Trip advisor rating 3/5 from 420+ reviews

I was looking and I'm thinking the Paramount Hotel. Do you think this is correct?

This almost seems a better option than the Chandler?

From the Hotwire Hotel List this matches both the Paramount as well as the Crowne Plaza. The Parmount is seem more often, but it could be either (and you should be prepared for either if you decide to book it).

The Paramount has a good location, but the rooms are notoriously small (read: extremely small... even by NYC standards)

If you decide to book either of the above please remember to use our HOTWIRE link to begin your purchase.

Let us konw how it goes or if we can be of further help.

No worries I'll use the link if I am buying.

Actually now is a good time to ask how accurate the descriptions they give you on hotwire are? I was thinking the Paramount over the Crowne Plaza because of:

(i) it said that there were 420+ reviews on tripadvisor. The Paramount has 440 while the Crowne Plaza 198.

(ii) on tripadvisor the hotel class for Pmt is 3* while the CP is 4*

(iii) the retail price on hotwire is $305. The average price on Tripadvisor (again) or the Pmt is $306 while the CP is $444.

By the way I know you guys have a lot more experience on this than me so sorry if this comes across wrong but I'm just asking how much you can trust the information given on hotwire.

Can I use this rationale for trying to work out the hotels?

Also thanks very much for the warning re the Paramount. I've seen what you're talking about and they seem insanely small. Will probably give it a skip.

The number of reviews may be a clue, but the user star rating is often inaccurate... simply because this is a dynamic number (it changes as reviews are posted) while the information on HOTWIRE is static (only updated once a month or so)

Each company uses their own star rating system, so you can't use that to guage the hotel.

The 'retail price' shown by HOTWIRE should be ignored as it's necessarily the retail price that hotel, but rather the retail price for a hotel of that quality in that zone.

Ok thanks that's good to know. I kind of guessed about the star ratings but the retail price thing is interesting. Will know better in future. Based on that is it fair to say that I shouldn't necessariy trust what hotwire calls the "best value" hotels as it could well be based on a completely inaccurate retail price?

"Best Value" is based upon star rating and price... not the underlying hotel.

To oversimplify things for explanation purposes, let's assume a 'star level jump' is worth $20... if there is a 3* hotel offered at $80 and a 4* offered at $95... the 4* would be labaled the Best Value since the jump of 1 star is only $15 (vs. the $20 that it's "worth"). Similarly, the same offerings, but the 3* is $80 and the 4* is $105... the 3* would be labeled a "Best Value" since it's not worth $25 to take the next jump in star level (as it's only 'worth' $20)

Hope that makes sense.

Ok think I understand thanks. One thing I'm a little concerned about with HOTWIRE is that all the prices seem to have gone up over the weekend for my dates (by varying levels). A hotel that I'm pretty sure is the Millenium UN Plaza was available on Friday at approx $1100 (incl taxes) for 4 nights but now its gone up to almost $1300. There also doesn't appear to be any new deals. Do new deals pop up all the time or is the earlier you move the better the options?

Also still considering priceline and I'm going through the list like you suggested to work out whether there's any 4* hotels I'd like to avoid. Guess what I'm wondering is if there was an area where I'd be happy to stay in any 4* hotels on the list what would the chances be that it would be one of them I get (presuming my bid was eventually accepted) - i.e. 50/50, 80%, 95%. Know its not an exact science and I'm trying to work out generally how much of a risk I'm taking with priceline.

Do new deals pop up all the time or is the earlier you move the better the options?
Inventory, and as you can see prices, change all the time. For a more indepth discusion of "when to bid/purchase" see the related link in our PRICELINE FAQ.

If you bid on priceline i'd say chances are 'very good' that you receive a hotel already reported... becoming less true if you bid 2.5* or less since we don't see much bidding at the lower star levels in NYC.

Thanks for the reply. I had looked at that FAQ before and while it was a little ambiguous I got the message which was "book as soon as your plans are concrete".

Was just trying to confirm that inventory changes all the time and that new stuff will pop up as time goes by (which I think you did).

Will probably give Priceline a go. Will have a look through the hotel list some more then let you know what I'm looking for and then maybe you can help me with a bidding strategy?

I don't think our message is "bid as soon as possible once your plans are firm" but is actually "bid as soon as possible once your plans are firm while also making sure you don't overbid".

Once you decide upon the priceline zones you're willing to accept let us know and we'll suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Okay I've had a good look through the priceline list and here's what I think:

Downtown: Pretty much all of the hotels here seem fine (even down to the Exchange Hotel at 2.5*).

MTE: The W New York has some awful reviews. I gather that the rooms are pretty small and that it's not exactly luxurious. But it seems to be mainly those who paid high prices (and expect a lot more) that complained. Those who got a good deal seem to think its ok. I think I'd certainly live with it for a few days.

MTW: A lot of very nice hotels at 4*. The Sheraton seems to be the only very dodgy one on the list. Seems to be a lot of complaints of dirty rooms. Again though while I'd like to avoid I think I'd live with it if the price was right.

MTS: Only two 4* hotels. Both seem fine. A lot of 3* hotels listed. Would be a little concerned that one of these would be bumped up to a 4*.

To summarise I would ideally like to avoid the Sheraton and less so the W New York. I know that there is no guarantee unless I avoid both areas altogether. Location wise I would most like:

(i) MTE

(ii) MTW

(iii) Downtown

(iv) MTS

Would consider placing Downtown higher than this though? The hotels seem very nice there and it would be a little more relaxed and peaceful after hectic days (and nights) out and about. On the other hand its a bit away from the action. What do you think on this? As i said above even the 3* and 2.5* hotels here seem nice.

Would appreciate your opinion on location and then maybe a bidding strategy. (Not much on hotwire for below $250 for those dates so would be willing to go to $200 on priceline).

That's what I've been asking earlier. Went through the list to see what most people get but if there's a pretty good chance that I could get some random other hotel I'd probably be happier to stick with hotwire. Although part of why I was doing this was to have a look at the standard of the usual hotels people get on priceline.

I thought you were all set to try Priceline, but based upon your last comment i'm not so sure :)

It seems to me that you're "ok" with all the 4* hotels if you could get them for a great price, which i assume that if you're successful it would be a great price as we'd try to keep you from overbidding this early before your stay.

However, if i were doing the bidding, i would not include Downtown as part of my bidding (just too far away from things) but would include the UM/CPS in my bidding (centrally located, near subways, and if you had success here it would likely be a good deal (although chances of success here would be low since this area is usually more expensive than the neighboring MTE and MTW zones))

No the last comment from dahammer put me off quite a bit (seemed to be suggesting that there was a pretty good chance that I could get a random hotel that's not on the list). Will try bidding tonight or tomorrow morning. Was thinking of trying at $130 to start in MTE, MTW and MTS. Do you think this is a reasonable price to start with?

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]