PA Pittsburgh Omni William Penn

thereuare
By thereuare,
in

Needed to be in town for a wedding and stayed here for a long holiday weekend. Overall enjoyed the stay, but as with most properties, some pros and cons.

Hotel has a beautiful and grand lobby, with a Starbucks attached to the lobby. Check-in line was a little long at our arrival (~5pm) and the two employees working the desk did their best to get everyone situated as quickly as possible. A few days before arrival i emailed requesting a king bed, no smoking, a baby crib, and a nice view. We were given room 1433 which was 'ok' sized (a little on the small side), had a view of a brick wall, and no crib in the room. There was a very small insect (a dead mosquito it looked like, but not sure if that's what it was) was on the comforter so i just removed it before my wife saw it. I did see another similar insect (this one alive) in the bathroom later in the stay, so i guess this is just an issue with the building being somewhat older.

No priceline discrimination as another guest in our group (on priceline) was upgraded to a suite

We were in a hurry to get to the rehearsal dinner so we quickly changed and upon leaving informed the desk about the need for a baby crib. When we arrived back after 11pm still no crib in the room, so we called down again and somebody came in about 5 minutes with a crib (a pack-n-play actually, in case your child doesn't like pack-n-plays, note they don't have cribs at the property, only pack-n-plays)

Bed was extremely comfortable and we slept very well. Water pressure was excellent, although the bathroom was a bit small.

The service here is mixed bag. All the staff we encountered at the hotel were very friendly and one of the bellman gave our daughter a small "welcome bag" which had a coloring book, crayons, an omni slinky, and a disposable camera... she enjoyed it all very much and it kept her occupied throughout the trip. The lack of a crib in the room upon arrival and after requested again after arrival could have been an isolated incident, but another family member in the wedding party said that their room hadn't been serviced for two straight days! Perhaps in such a large hotel you just have to expect some good and some bad.

Location was good for our needs and we were able to walk just about everywhere we needed to go.

Had the buffet breakfast in the hotel in the morning and it was a little bare as far as buffets go but acceptable. The line was quite long at times waiting for an omlette, but when speaking to the chef behind the table he said "this is nothing... sometimes it goes all the way back to the wall and is like that from start to finish" (so check the line before you're seated if you're thinking of the buffet)

Had a dinner at the hotel's "Tap Room" which is a tavern with a few beers on tap and 'pub food'. It was a little dark and depressing, with prices where you would expect for a hotel restaurant ($10-$12 burgers and sandwiches) but the food really wasn't that good (it was the monday of Memorial Day and the city was basically shutdown, so we didn't have many restaurant options)

Hi-speed internet is $10/day but free for "select guest" members which is free to join. You are given the option to join when you first log-on so no need to register beforehand if you don't have time. The connection was pretty good but sometimes wouldn't 'recognize' your computer and therefore would take you to the gateway page (omin welcome page to log-in) when you launched a new browser or clicked a link. Otherwise had no problems.

I know i pointed out some of the negatives above, but overall it was a very nice stay with just a few diappointments. Would have no problem returning here again.

PS- for parking on the weekends (and majory holidays) there is a lot across from the hotel for just $5/day (no in/out privledges), otherwise self-park at the hotel is ~$15/day and valet is ~$24 (we didn't have a car so i forget the price, but these figures are close)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 11 months later...

Got this place (1st night $90, 2nd night $75), and was very impressed with it!

No Priceline discrimination here!

18-20 year old friendly....just remember to request a dry room in advance!

I was given room 1116, which was a corner room with 2 double beds, and it had 2 windows, one facing a wall and another facing a square across the street. The room was of a good size, and the bathroom was a little small. The room was in good condition, although the bathroom sink has seen better days.

I don't think this floor was renovated recently, as I saw other floors that had been, but the room was very good for what I paid!

Just remember to sign up for Select Guest...you get free internet and free coffee and juice brought to your door in the morning.

• 2 years later...
Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]