Priceline Hotel: Room help needed

westie
By westie,
in

My son is @ overnight camp from July 25 to 29, Pepperdine University. I need a room from July 24 to 29, but on a tight budget. Will have NO CAR. Need to be close to a few places to eat, nice if can get to a mall, walk or bus, and a clean, safe place. Have tried Santa Monica $60, rejected. Woodland Hills 3 star $40, rejected. Would like to keep it around $70.

Thanks for help

Pepperdine has more than one campus (Malibu, West LA, Encino, and more) and they're in different parts of town. Just to be sure we're steering you in the right direction do you know the name of the campus you want to be near? If you don't know the campus name do you have a street address?

Thanks so much. I am hoping to get by without a car. Pepperdine has procured a shuttle from airport for $25, one way, $36 round trip. May have to get a car afterall. Going to call Prime Shuttle to see if they can drop off @ hotel.

Or just stay by the airport, let my son go on the shuttle from airport to Pepperdine, and I stay by the airport, cheaper, and won't need a car. Shuttle will bring him back to airport @ end of camp.

Thousand Oaks is a good suggestion too. Still about 15 miles from Pepperdine. (Cool new avatar, BEAV!) The Woodland Hills Hilton is similar distance from Pepperdine and just a few blocks from a large mall and many restaurants.

Have you called Pepperdine and asked if they have any affiliate or discount program with a nearby hotel? Sometimes hotels near universities will run a shuttle to the university. I don't know if that's the case at Pepperdine but it's worth checking out.

If low price is paramount I would suggest the airport zone, at 2.5* or 3*. Any 2.5* hotel or higher will have a free shuttle to the hotel. (Some of the 2* do not.) 2.5* hotels will probably cost less than the Hyatt or Hilton above. There will be restaurants in or near the hotels. Not so much shopping, but not far if you want to take a day trip to Santa Monica to shop.

Once you decide whether you're renting a car or not and what zones are acceptable to you thereuare or someone will provide a more specific bidding strategy.

Malibu is not part of any Priceline zone because there are no chain hotels there and the hotels that are in the area are in the $250 to $600 per night price range.

Speaking just for myself, I would probobly rent a car at LAX which has some of the lowest Priceline rates in the country (I've seen many wins in the $8-$13 per day range), pack a tent and sleeping bag and stay at one of the many state parks that have camping just north of Malibu. Zuma and Leo Carillo are both less than 30 minutes north of Malibu and usually have camping sites available during the midweek without a reservation. Unless you can't sleep with the surf crashing just a few yards away, it's a great deal at about $28 a night (approximately).

Yes it's true you have to watch out for the Lindsey Lohan's and Paris Hilton's racing around too, but it's really a hassle getting back and forth from Malibu without a car. Shuttle and Bus service are spotty at best with long waits in between.

Just food for thought.

• 2 weeks later...

The 3* hotels in Thousand Oaks and Woodland Hills are more business oriented (as opposed to tourist oriented), which means they'll often have lower rates, and lower Priceline rates, on weekends than weekdays. Your four night stay is from Wednesday to Sunday. You might be able to achieve lower total cost if you're willing to split your bid in two, bidding Weds/Thurs together, and Fri/Sat together separately.

It's possible you'll win two different hotels. Also possible you'll win the same hotel twice, but at two different prices. Let us know whether you're willing to split or not and someone can suggest an approach. (Probably bidding Fri/Sat first, then trying Priceline's Add a Night feature to win the same hotel for Weds/Thurs, if available.)

I need a room from the 24th for 5 nights, check out 29th. Next year, the kid will be old enough to go to camp on his own, phew, this is pretty costly. The airline tickets from Hawaii are a killer, and we are not flexible on time or dates, so no shopping around for those.

If you're trying to save money you could probably win a decent 2.5* or 3* in LAX zone for less than the $60 you've already bid in Woodland Hills and Thousand Oaks. You'd have to drive farther to shopping, but now that you've decided to rent a car...

Some hotels in LAX zone charge to park and some don't. Same is true in suburbs.

Or you could stay the three weekdays at LAX, hopefully in the $40's or $50's and fri/sat in the suburbs, for some variety.

Or try splitting your bid in the suburban zones, if you prefer staying there.

Last resort would be airport hotel. Then no car needed, there is a shuttle to Pepperdine for $25 one way, son will go on that. I will just stay in motel and read, and wait for his return. But I am going to keep trying for Thousand Oaks and Woodland Hills. Iam going to try splitting my bids like you suggest. Thanks.

The 2.5* property you describe above has not yet been identfied, if i were to take a guess, i'd think the Ramada Limited, the Comfort Inn, and the HoJo Express could all be possibilities.

Please use this HOTWIRE link to begin any purchases you make.

Keep us update on your progress.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

3 Star in Santa Monica - Marina Del Ray

This midscale establishment offers more than just the basics in style, comfort and customer service.

Nr. beach

oceanfront

complimentary breakfast

fitness center

business center

laundry

internet

near golf

$153

July 24th and 25th.

Thanks

So sorry.

Just for the 1st night, July 24th, wanted to be near Venice beach, to show my son around.

The next day he goes to overnight camp till the 29th of July, I plan to stay in some 1 star for cheap, as long as it is clean. Most likely Woodland area, or Thousand Oaks.

I will rent a car now, can get a car for $135 a week.

Meanwhile, still bidding on Priceline, for Santa Monica, July 24th, up to $120, rejected.

I think you can probably beat that $116 Comfort Inn on Priceline, bidding for a 2.5* or 3* in Santa Monica zone. It might take a few weeks of bidding, but hopefully not.

Since you're budget conscious the 2.5* level in Santa Monica ought to be okay. If you win something it should be at least as good as a Comfort Inn. (I don't guarantee, of course.)

I'd suggest bidding $55 for a 2.5* in Santa Monica. Then add free rebid zone (Lawndale) and bid $65.

If that fails wait 24 hours and repeat at $70 and $75. If a 3* has a lower Priceline rate than the 2.5* your bid will be upgraded. If you only want a 3* (not 2.5*) then bid the same amounts I suggested at the 3* level. I think 2.5* should work for you though. 3* might take more, like $85-100.

Please use the links that support this board and keep us posted with your progress.

I have tried up to $110 on Priceline for Santa Monica, 3 star, for July 24th, rejected.

For the rest of the stay, I have tried Woodland Hills, and Thousand Oaks, 3 star, up to $70, also rejected.

Using HOTWIRE link here.

Will keep on trying.

Thanks for help. Might try 2.5 as you suggested.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]