Priceline Hotel: Visiting Washington Between 06/13-06/16

humble
By humble,
in

I know I should post this question under Washinton, DC forum, but prices are very high in DC. Saw few places in VA are actually very near to Washington and cheaper.

Please suggest some good locations from where I can easily commute to Wasington, DC and visit. If the location has good transportation instead of cars. that would be good. If I have to travel 30 mins, it is okay. That is what I did when I went to LA.

The dates will be 06/13 - 06/16.

Thanks

I've moved your thread to the DC forum as you're more likely to get the help you're seeking here since DC is your ultimately destination. (more people local to DC will know the best suburban options)

I'm sure it will help these locals too if you gave an idea of your budget and star rating preference (and clarify your dates... your topic title is different than the dates in your post above).

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

In the title I put 06/13 - 06/20 which is my entire vacation duration, but out of which I want to go to Washington 2-3 days which is 06/13-06/16.

2.5*+ should be okay for me. Budget will be like $45 - $50. Doesn't matter if it is like 20-30 mins travel from the Washington City as long as either good transportation or I can navigate through car easily.

Is navigating through Car is a good option in Washington?

• 2 weeks later...

No, although Springfield is in the state of Virginia, priceline categorizes it in the DC region (if you search Priceline for "washington dc" Springfield will appear as a zone option).

I think your first move should be to view the priceline boundary for Springfield and see if it acceptable to you. We don't see this area bid very often and the only hotel reported in this zone (quite some time ago) was the Courtyard, so i would also look at the location of that particular hotel as well (not implying that this is the only option, but since it is at least one of the possibilities, i would make sure it meets any criteria you have)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hello,

I know DC Area pretty well. I suggest you use Vienna, VA as a search option. It will come up with Fairfax, Falls Church, and Tysons Corner as zones for bidding. These are all in commuting distance to DC (within 15 miles). Tysons Corner is a very trendy area in this Region and it's got great shopping there. Good luck.

Another suggestion would be to use Potomac, MD to search. Again it's still in the DC suburb. Using Potomac will yield zones of Bethesda and Gaithersburg. They are within 25 miles of DC. With both of these zones, you may consider using the subway as a mode of transportation into DC. Out of towners are sometimes afraid to drive in DC because of the circles, one-way streets, and other obstacles.

Thanks for the reply.

Can you tell me the commuting time to reach the city from the locations you mentioned? I am traveling with my father (65+), mother 55+ and son (14months). As long as I can reach within 30-45 mins and convenient bus stops/metro, I will definitely check it out.

TIA

Any idea how much approximately would it cost for 4 persons traveling back and forth between the hotel (assume Northern VA) and Washington, DC through bus or metro ?

If it is like $20 per day, then I will pay that amount to the hotel and get it nearby and reduce the commute time.

Hello,

The travel time for the above mentioned locations should be within 30 minutes on Metrorail. For visitors, you can buy all day passes (6.50) per adult for use after 9:30 AM and throughout the day. Since you are traveling with Senior, senior member can ride metro half price. You can check out the fare on this link:

http://wmata.com/riding/passes.cfm#Metrobus/Metrorail

Hope this helps. Of all the locations that I mentioned, if you want to be closer to DC, Falls Church and Bethesda are very close to DC.

Good luck.

Started Bidding for 3* Alexandria/Airlington, no success

$40 - Alexandria

$45 - Ailington

$45 - Capitol Hill

$47 - White House

$49 - SpringField

Had my wife try:

$51

$52

$53

$55

$57

Later...

$60 - Alexandria

and 2.5*

$45

$47

$49

$52

Will try again today and post the details. I forgot to use SavingsBarn link, will use it today.

For some reason I couldn't get 3* for $70 and 2.5* for $65. If I try priceline for 06/13-06/16 the Resnaissance M hotel shows $399 per night and priceline suggests 06/14-06/17, now the same hotel shows $159 per night - Whopping $250 difference. I think some big conference or something happening and they racked the price due to that.

My plan was reach NY 06/13 at 9 AM and depart to Washington from there immediately so that I can finish DC first and then NY. Now if I change my plan to be in NY on 06/13 and depart to DC on 06/14, I have some issues

1. The check-in time is 3 PM for hotels, so I have to be on my own with the luggages from 9 AM to 3PM

2. Would have to book 3 bookings, 06/13 NY, 06/14-06/17 - WDC, 06/17-06/20 - NY again.

Can somebody tell me what would be the impact and how do tackle this situation?

and priceline suggests 06/14-06/17
Priceline suggested a date change to you?:) Can you explain further?
I have to be on my own with the luggages from 9 AM to 3PM
Not really... the hotel will hold your luggage for you until check-in
3 bookings, 06/13 NY, 06/14-06/17 - WDC, 06/17-06/20 - NY again
Do you need to return to NYC because you have a flight leaving from there? If so, what time and which airport are you departing from on 6/20?

Yes, when I enter the date 06/13-06/15 for washington, dc, it shows up the prices for each hotel. On the right side it shows Name your own price. Below that it shows 'Alternate dates' and shows you can save $65 per night by selecting this date '06/14/2007 to 06/17/2007.

Hold you luggage means? I can go the hotel from airport (probably at 10 AM), drop the luggage at the hotel, go out and come back at on or after 3 PM for check-in?

Yes, my return flight is from NY from LGA

From Detroit to NY - 06/13 - land at 8:45 AM

From NY to Detroit - 06/20 - leave at 4:45 PM

How many days to you want to spend in DC? (your topic title suggests 6/13-6/16 but your post above suggests a search for 6/13-6/15)

Are you comfortable leaving DC and traveling to LGA on the day of your flight (i always prefer to be in the city i'm traveling from... less to worry about with potentially missing the flight due to traffic, car trouble, etc).

Yes, "hold your luggage at the hotel" means that they will take your luggage (put it in a room with others in a similar situation) and they give it back to you when you return later in the day to check-in. Most hotels offer this service for free to their guests (and customary to tip the bellhop for the service), but in some large cities (such as NYC) some hotels charge a few dollars a bag (as i recently saw at the Hilton New York).

Sorry about the confusion on dates. It is 06/13-06/16.

I thought of staying in NY from 06/13-06/17 and be in DC from 06/18-06/19 - Leave to NY early morning to catch the flight at 4:45. But I do not want to take risk of missing the flight. I have to be at the airport atleast by 2:45 and the travel time between NY and DC would take 6-7 hrs (by car, bus, i wouldn't rely on them), that means I have to leave 6-7 AM, still I don't want to take risk.

If the hotels can hold the luggage even for some fee and tip, it would be okay.

Let me try the following schedule

06/13 - NY

06/14 Evening - Depart to DC

06/15-06/16 - DC

06/16 Evening - Depart to NY

06/17-08/20 - NY

The problem I see above is waste of time. If I have to checkout on 06/14 then I have to do it on or before checkout time 11 AM, that means, I can't do much on that day, same holds good when departing from DC.

Can I check out in the morning, keep the luggage in the hotel for a fee or tip, pick up the baggages in the evening and depart to DC?

Any suggestions on the above schedule?

Thanks

travel time between NY and DC would take 6-7 hrs
You'd have to hit some major traffic jam for it to take this long between NYC and DC.
Can I check out in the morning, keep the luggage in the hotel for a fee or tip, pick up the baggages in the evening and depart to DC?
Yes.

My answer to your scheduling above will differ depending upon how you intend to travel from NYC to DC. Any 'travel day' often turns into a wasted day (for me at least) as sometimes you don't get started as early as you like, you're too tired to explore a new destination the day of arrival on account of traveling, etc, etc.

I would prefer to head straight to DC upon arriving in NYC (to save on time) and would sonner SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID in DC... even if i had to stay in the suburbs for the first nite of the DC stay (although this is much easier if you have a car than if you are taking mass transit, as getting from the suburbs to the 'city' may or may not be easy via mass transit.

humble, did you read this Hotwire Crowne Plaza thread? This sounds like a great deal.

HOTWIRE has a Best Value 3* for $55 in the Bethesda-Silver Spring zone with the following amenities: fitness, pool, restaurant, business,laundry, golf. Dates: 6/14-6/16/07. If this is the Crowne Plaza, the hotel has a free shuttle to the Metro and if you are a priority club member, parking is only $8 per day. :)

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]