Priceline Hotel: Need help w/4* 5/15-18 bidding strategy

Troy D
By Troy D,
in

Yes, Arlington not Airport. I believe it has a Ritz Carlton as its 4-star, but I'd guess one would land a 4-star in the Dupont/Downtown areas before the Ritz would be won. So, are those the 4 rebid zones...Alexandria, Arlington, Crystal City and Springfield?

In previous posts there's been reference to hotel blocks for conventions that upon release increase inventories to Priceline. I'd like to know if there's a rule of thumb as to when convention blocks get released so as to better time my pricing strategy.

I've been using a bidding strategy for at least a week now with no luck for a 4* in Dupont Circle up to $125.

Any and all help is appreciated.

For your $155 bids, are you only including the Dupont Circle zone or any of the other DC zones you've mentioned above?

If you do look at HOTWIRE rates as blindman suggested you'll see rates in the $250 range for a 4* hotel... which is not typically when you'll see priceline acceptances in the $150 area.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 2 weeks later...

Getting desparate and conceding to changing strategy. 4* Dupont Cir up to $260 hasn't worked for last 2 weeks. I'm interested in being close to nightlife and tourist attractions for no more than $200/night. I would appreciate a strategy to accomplish this. I'm guessing it'll involve 3* in the White House and Convention center zones.

You have one re-bid zone avaialble when bidding 3* in Washington DC. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 3* Dupont...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* White House...

Bid $130, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* Convention Center...

Select 3* Dupont and White House...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* Dupont and Convention Center...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* White House and Convention Center...

Bid $155, if rejected add Dupont...

Bid $160, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $170.

I'd start with the above, if rejected (which i'd say better than 50/50 chance) we'll then revise to try again in 24 hours which would then take you up to your limit.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks. I worked that strategy but started and ended $20 higher out of desperation. So, unsuccessful up to $190 and 5 days to arrival. Yikes! I think I'm going to have to give up on my $200/night cap. I'm also wondering if I might improve my odds by trying a 2-day stay and either relying on them to offer their "add another night" or risking having to get the last night at another hotel. Is this advisable?

If i recall correctly when researching your stay yesterday, rates were high for the first two nites and then dropped a little for the last nite (although availability was still somewhat slim for the last nite).

Given your previous rejections for the complete stay, i wouldn't count on the extend a stay option to be successful (even if offered, i'm guessing you'd likely be rejected for the same amount... plus, if the above is correct (that the last nite is the least expensive) and you use the add-a-nite to add the last nite, you'll probably be paying more than you need to.

To summarize the above: i'm not sure if SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID will gain you success, and even if it does, i'm even more doubtful that the add-a-nite feature (if offered) would be successful.

What about 2.5*? What about adding Georgetown to your acceptable zones? Georgetown is a good area for tourists.

There are 2.5* Courtyards in Downtown, CC/CH, and Dupont. Worth a try. Of course other 2.5* besides Courtyard could come up.

Hotwire rates for your dates have gone up. White House and Dupont Circle zones have nothing. 3* South of the Mall zone $343. 3* Kennedy Center $314. Even Bethesda MD 3* is over $300.

Tuesday (tomorrow) turns out to be the killer for some reason. I understand there's a huge event to honor peace officers that's even shut down Capitol Hill for the day. I ended up grabbing an Expedia special that popped up for the Palomar Hotel, a 4* in Dupont Circle area, for $303/night (normally $379/night) for Weds & Thurs. While Hotwire had a Dupont 3* and 3 1/2* for $258 and $278, respectively, I figured the little bit extra justified the certainty of the Palomar, which gets very good reviews. Now I'm searching for a very modest place to flop tomorrow night to bring down the avg cost. Flying into DIA, we're thinking a 2* close to the airport might be our best shot. Thanks all for the assistance.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]