Priceline Hotel: 3* Philadelphia (Downtown) Marriott Downtown

catscatscats
By catscatscats,
in

I'd like to book a hotel for one night in Philadelphia in either the Downtown Philadelphia or University Area zones. Downtown is 1st choice and University is 2nd. My max bid is about $65 w/ 3* lowest acceptable star rating. The Philly area has 8 zones total.

The main problem is that I would like 2 double beds for 3 guests. Should I be trying for 2 rooms to guarantee at least 2 beds? I doubt I'd be able to get 2 rooms for about $35 each so I may have to rethink all strategies if that's necessary.

I've forgotten exactly how to make the most of my rebids and while I understand the basic rebid process, the permutation bidding in the tutorial thread confuses me. Can someone let me know if my plans are feasible or if I'm totally wrong in my strategy? Thanks!

A. I figure I might as well start off w/ trying for a 4*. Add Downtown Philadelphia only first since it's the only area w/ a 4* hotel and bid. If I'm rejected, can I add one of each the 7 remaining zones at a time and redbid until all 8 zones have been exhausted? At that point, can I reduce my star level to 3* and then restart the bidding process again? Will all 8 zones still be selected or will I be able to start from scratch (ie add Downtown Philadelphia first, then add Gloucester - Runnemede - Deptford and rebid, then add Stadium Area and rebid)?

B. Try for 4* in Downtown Philly first. If rejected, reduce to 3* and rebid. If rejected, add Gloucester - Runnemede - Deptford and rebid. If rejected, add Stadium Area for last available 3* rebid.

I think this is likely going to be a touch win within your budget.

At the 3* level you have two re-bid zones. I would try:

Select 3* Downtown...

Bid $50, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $55, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* Downtown and re-bid zone2...

Bid $60, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $65.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

What is the significance of closing the rejected browser and reaccessing it via a new one?

Downtown Philadelphia & University Area are both acceptable areas so I suppose that would make 3 re-bid zones instead of only 2. I'm assuming this opens up more possibilities for rebidding based on this particular post. Can I follow the exact strategy in that post w/

A: Downtown Philadelphia (acceptable w/ 3* available)

B: University Area (acceptable w/ 3* available)

C: Stadium Area (re-bid zone, no 3*)

D: Gloucester - Runnemede - Deptford (re-bid zone, no 3*)

I forgot to add that it's the night before UPenn's last commencement ceremony so I may be completely out of luck regardless. Thanks again for all the help. I feel like I should be able to figure this out on my own but it's a little scary when there's money involved.

Sorry, mised the University zone, scratch the above and try as follows:

Select 3* Downtown...

Bid $45, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $50, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* University...

Bid $45, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $50, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* Downtown and re-bid zone2...

Bid $55, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $58, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* University and re-bid zone2...

Bid $55, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $58, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* Downtown and University...

Bid $60, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $63, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $65.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

What is the significance of closing the rejected browser and reaccessing it via a new one?

This allows you to maximize your rebidding opportunities. When your bid is rejected, you need to either change dates, add a zone, or lower your star rating. So by closing your browser and reaccessing Priceline, you are actually starting a new bid. Also, you are correct about the rebid zones, Stadium Area and Gloucester currently don't have any 3* hotels, but you always need to check this before you begin a bidding session as Priceline could add a new property at any time.

PS, HOTWIRE has a 3.5* for $169, this might be the Sheraton (formerly Wyndham Franklin Plaza). The airport zone may be an option, although it is not as convenient, it may be close to your budget. Finally, the City Line zone is also a short drive to Penn as well. You may want to park on the Drexel U Campus adjacent to Penn or try to take public transportation. Good luck!

Marriott Philadelphia Downtown 3*

Downtown Philadelphia

1201 Market Street

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19107

Remote control TV w/ premium channels, Radio Alarm Clock, Business services, Telephone w/ voicemail, Iron and ironing board, Hairdryer, 24 hour front desk, Restaurant, Room service

Check-In Date: Sun, May 13, 2007

Check-Out Date: Mon, May 14, 2007

Number of Rooms: 1

Number of Nights: 1

Subtotal: $68.00

Taxes & Service Fees: $17.15

Total Charges: $85.15

I'm pretty happy w/ my win. I'm sure a hotel downtown would've cost me a lot more if booked via traditional methods. According to the list of Priceline hotels on the forum, the Marriott used to be listed as a 4* hotel.

I'll be calling w/ my Marriott Rewards membership # later to try to request 2 double beds on a non-smoking floor. Any info on cheap parking nearby would be much appreciated! Going to Penn's graduation during the day on the 13th if that makes a difference. Thanks again for all the help!

Bid history:

3* Downtown Bid $45, rejected

added Stadium Area $50, rejected

3* University $45, rejected

added Stadium Area $50, rejected

3* Downtown & Gloucester - Runnemede - Deptford $55, rejected

added Stadium Area $58, rejected

3* University & Gloucester - Runnemede - Deptford $55, rejected

added Stadium Area $58, rejected

3* Downtown and University $60, rejected

added Stadium Area $63, rejected

added Gloucester - Runnemede - Deptford $68, accepted

I was advised to make the last bid $65 but I kind of got scared and bid $68 instead since it was my last possible bid. The extra $3 I paid if I could have won for $65 isn't bad at all.

You can edit the title yourself using the edit button at the bottom of the post. Thereuare is out of town just now, so it might be a long wait for someone else to make the change if you don't want to do it yourself.

I tried but it would only let me edit the body of the post. Has it changed since last year? The FAQ says that only an admin can revise titles.

• 3 weeks later...

i'd like to extend my stay one night from my check-out date. if i try to bid on another room for the night of 5/14 (my check-out date), will i invalidate my offer to extend my stay via the bid acceptance email?

my total including taxes for 1 night was $85.15 for my first night win. i think my bidding limit including taxes is $65-70 for another night before i give up and extend my stay from my acceptance email.

i want to make sure my bidding strategy for a 3* is correct since the stadium area zone has been removed from the philadelphia area before i give it another go. i'm not sure what prices to bid so any advice on that would be great too. thanks for the help!

Downtown Philly OR University Area both acceptable

Gloucester (only 3* rebid zone available)

select 3* Downtown Philadelphia & bid

if rejected, add Gloucester & bid

if rejected, close browser & open new one

select 3* University Area & bid

if rejected, close browser & open new one

select 3* Downtown Philadelphia & University & bid

Yes, you have your re-bid zone correct, but i have to question if it is worth bidding? Is the $10-$20 you're looking to save worth the inconvenience of potentially having to change hotels?

If you do choose to bid this again please start a NEW TOPIC to report the extra nite.

Thank and good luck.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]