Priceline Hotel: 2* Charlotte (Coliseum-South) StudioPlus

dianev
By dianev,
in

Feel free to move this if it belongs somewhere else...

I just want to warn people to be careful if you plan to bid on a 2* in the Charlotte NC Coliseum area. I bid for a HOTEL and received an extended stay facility (Studio Plus) which I do NOT consider a hotel. These places are for long term business travelers, corporate placement, temporary housing for people, and some people live in them!

There is no daily maid service (you dont get a cleaning unless staying 7 days) but you can pay $5 for a 'refresh' which is the same things most HOTELS do for free every day. You have to go somewhere in the complex if you want to exchange your towels and they dont even have a full time front desk. No ice machines etc.

This is like an apartment complex even from the way the picture looks and I am very upset they are trying to pass this off as a hotel. When I stay in a hotel I expect services for what I pay and you dont get that here. I wonder what the clientele will be like too.

I spoke to 2 different people at Priceline and all I got of course was the 'we believe this is a 2 star hotel and there are no refunds' speech no matter how many things I pointed out that this is not a hotel. I have filed online with the BBB but I know Priceline gets away with it on there due to their 'policy'. I used a debit card with a MC logo on it so am persuing with my bank if it is considered a credit card with chargeback rights (does anyone know?)

I think its horrible that Priceline obviously has found a way to throw in some cheap housing and pass it off as a hotel in order to make a buck. They obviously get a good deal in these places and after reading further I see there are a couple other of these types of places in the same area people are getting stuck with (Extended Stay America for one) I am surprised they are getting away with it and I know others are complaining too as someone posted they did and got the same spiel.

So I wanted to get a warning out there for anyone thinking of bidding 2* in this area that unless you dont mind staying in a place like this (if I were staying 6 nights I would never get a cleaning for example) do not bid here...upgrade to a 3* and get a real hotel.

I'm not a fan of these extended stay properties either. My biggest gripe is that they don't have personnel at the front desk between 11pm and 7am, I don't feel that the property is not safe or secure during those hours. Suppose there was an emergency or there was a problem with a group of guests, I would not want to wait around for the manager on duty to arrive in such a situation. For a female travelling alone, I would absolutely not want this type of accomodation.

I booked the ESA in Newark through HOTWIRE and one of the amenity icons was "suite" and I argued that the room was not a suite, and received some "hot dollars" as a form of compensation for a future stay. Subsequently, I still see the same amenities come up when I do a search for a Newark hotel, so Hotwire has not changed this listing about 6 months after my stay.

I totally agree and have just spoken to my 3rd person at PRiceline and they wont budge..at least Hotwire sounds like they tried to at least make a customer service effort. They keep saying their company line over and over and it really is sad. The guy I spoke with was very condescending and talked down to me. It was very insulting to be honest. He is supposedly from the Corporate office but doesnt have (or wouldnt give) any info on how to reach someone in charge

I think the thing here is that you trust Priceline or Hotwire to give you something that you bid on, something that is safe and is what they claim you will receive. You have to rely on their judgement and you are giving them money but they wont ever seem to admit when they make a mistake. Once they have your money they dont care.

I have filed with the BBB and my debit/credit card but dont have much hope as they keep things very vague in their policies so that they can get away with almost everything..

Just a followup:

Priceline states i am getting a refund/cancellation however they claim it is due to how the person at the Executive offices treated me (they listened to the call they said) They have stressed they still believe this is a desireable type of 'hotel' and that its correctly listed (which I beg to differ) however I am getting the refund and will try for a 3 star hotel and never bid on a 2 star again when these extended stay type places are in the area..

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]