Hotwire Hotel: 4.5* NYC (MTE) InterContinental The Barclay

citylover
By citylover,
in

I just went on Hotwire to see what they have for this weekend (Fri-Sun)

Feb 27-29. I want Midtown Central and the serach gave me:

Best Value: $134 4 1/2 * (food/spa/fitness/bus ctr)

$115 3 1/2* (food/fitness/bus ctr)

$181 4* (food/arport shuttle/comp breakfast)

What do think of these rates and which hotels might they be. I don't want to spend the $181 that's for sure.

I have only used Hotwire once before and a friend did it for me & I got the Manhatten Sheraton. I like the location but don't know the name of other hotels in that area.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Take a look at the Hotwire Hotel List New York. The 4.5* seems to be an exact match with the Essex House: A Westin Hotel.

Are you sure that 3.5* isn't a Hi-Speed Internet icon and not a business icon? (when i search for your dates i get the internet icon along with the star rating and other 2 icons you mention).

Not really sure if your plans necessitate you being in the MTC zone, but if you expand your selection to the MTE zone as well what i believe to be the W Hotel comes up for $121 (it's on 49th and Lex).

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Both are relatively close to subway transportation (although different subway lines). However, both hotels are very different and in different neighborhoods.

The W is a young and 'hip' crowd. My only experience with a W Hotel was in New Orleans in which i didn't think it would be my style but i enjoyed the 'elegant yet casual' atmosphere (was there for a convention though so didn't socialize with the crowd too much). More affordable food/restaurant options nearby the hotel.

Essex House is up by Central Park (northern edge of the MTC zone) and is more 'classic'. However, everything (retstaurants, convenience stores, etc) in the immediate area is notoriously expensive.

I guess it would also depend as to the purpose of the trip and where you intended to travel to once in the city.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I am going for a fun weekend with my cousin. Arriving by Amtrack. I have a party event on Fri night at 50th near 3rd. Then Sat shopping around and Sat night prob to a play or something.

As I said my last visit I got the Manhatten Sheraton at 7th & 51st and the hotel was just OK but the location was perfect for me. I loved the location. So that is why I was looking for hotels in MTC because I easily found my way around from there.

Just checking a bit more now on MTE as you mentioned. The "W" would not be my style I don't think the "young hip crowd".

I see on MTE:

Best Value $127 4*

Pool, Rest,Fitness,Internet, Tennis nearby

Sine I want a room for Fri when would suggest I decide by.

Is Wed too late? Just because some of the travel specials come in on Wednesdays.

Is it bettre to book earlier than later to your date for a better deal?

Thanks

Put your cursor over the amenity icons and it will tell you what the icon is... in this case i think it's a Business Center icon and not a Hi-Speed Internet. If so, that hotel is likely the Millenium UN which i don't recommend as it is too far east from your original plans to be in MidTown Central.

If your plans are firm and you're happy with the hotel we think it is, i would purchase now as some of these hotels may not be offered on Wednesday or even tomorrow morning(inventory rotates/changes all the time). The only deals that i know that are released on Wednesdays are the Travel Zoo deals and although those are quite good, i'm doubtful you'll find a 4* hotel in NYC for these kinds of prices. For example, the Essex House shows over $200/nite for these dates!

Whether you end up booking now or Wednesday... both would be considered 'short notice'.

It's in the zone you first said you wanted.

What is the purpose of the trip? What type of things will you be doing? Where in the city will you be spending most of your time? If you could pick the exact address of your hotel where would it be?

The following thread was written in terms of Priceline zones but it applies to Hotwire as well: NYC Zone Descriptions. In particular the first paragraph:

For the most part, location isn

if I could pick my exact location it would be in the vicinity of along 7th Ave/Ave of the Americas from 53rd-42nd.

That is the general area I will be spending most of my time.

In looking at the Zone description that seems to be Midtown West.

Hotwire:

Today I see for Midtown Central

3 1/2*

$118 restaurant/fitness center/highspeed internet

3*

$130

restaurant/fitness

Well the area of your desired location is not MTC, but rather Times Square. However, rates for that zone for your dates start at $175 and up. Based upon your comments earlier about not spending $181 i doubt you'd want to spend an extra $50/nite just to stay a few blocks further south (correct me if i'm wrong).

The 3.5* you now mention could be the Club Quarters, but the last time that was reported it also included a laundry icon, so i'm not as confident about that guess as i am with the others we've talked about.

Again, i don't know your specific needs, but the location of the Essex House (assuming we are indeed correct that this is the property we're seeing) is considered vy moar to be excellent. I consider NYC to be a walking city so i would walk to the area you mentioned earlier, but if not you could alway get the subway for 1 stop to 49th st or 2 stops to 42nd street. A taxi should be no more than $5 to 42nd street (unless you hit bad traffic, which is why i recommend walking or subway).

PS- i'd also encourage you to try to spend some time outside of the area you mentioned... it's very touristy and NYC has so much more to offer! :)

I have had success. I can't believe I pushed it to the wire but I took a chance and it paid off.

After listening to the advice of thereuare I decided to try some other areas. I concentrated on MTE as I have an event to attend at 50th & 3rd. I checked all the previou postings and

what hotels they have with what ratings and read the list provided by this web site. I decided I really wanted either the Omni or the Intercontinental Barclay It seemed like they never popped up based on which ones I thought they would be (amenities and ratings).

I checked every 20-30 min and I saw many changes in offerings. I have been doing this for the past few days. I even called each hotel directly to ask about any possible rates and checked their web sites. I finally saw one today at 12 noon 4.5* frest/fitness/bus ctr/tennis. Plus it was at the $146 rate a previous poster had gotten it for so i was sure it was the Intercontinental.

I was at work and something came up and I could not book it immedaitely. Thirty minutes later I went to book it and it was gone. I continually kept checking every 20 min or so. I decided to give myself a cut-off point of 4pm as my train is heading to NY at 7pm tonight. I needed a place to stay! If I did not get it by then I would just take anything. Well I prayed and it worked. At 3:45pm it showed again and I booked it right away. It was the Intercontinental Barclay at $146. I am so happy.

So I suggest you keep checking back on the site.

$146 @ 2 nights with taxes total $345.95 Feb 27-Feb 29/04

Thanks to all the previous posters for your info. Thanks to thereuare for all the advice and info. I am looking ward to a great weeknd and will report back on my experience at teh hotel. :D

Wrote this but it did not post will try again.

MTE Intercontinental Barclay Feb 27-29/04 $146 Lexington & 8th Ave

What a beautiful hotel!! Stunning lobby. The room was so nice & elegant. Spacious with 2 double beds, desk & chair. Nicely furnished. Nice bathroom with pedestal sink. We had a room on the 6th floor. View was street view of Lexington & 8th. The room was decorated so beautifully. Gorgeous window treatments and decorative pillows on the beds. The staff was great, very friendly and helpful. NY Times delivered daily.

One note....coffee pot in the room but the coffee must be purchased. It is part of the snack/wet bar unit of supplies in the room. We did not bother to use it. (don't know the cost). Starbucks is one block away so we went there. Also Grand Central Station subway is one block away & shopping.

On one side of the hotel it faces the Marriott and you can see the Raddison. The Waldorf Astoria is around the corner. A deli/convenience store is less than a block away. I was also able to get my Priority Club points credited with this stay.

I will definitely stay here again a classy, beautiful hotel! On Sat night we took a cab to Times Square (as we went out very late) the cost: less than $4.00.

Took a walk into the W at Times Square just to have a look. Very modern, trendy, fun style place and with a young crowd. Looks interesting however, and I may try it at some point.

I will certainly stay at the Intercontinental again- it is a class act and convenient. Thanks to thereuare for suggesting I try other areas & thanks to all who oversee thos board and those who post. It is great ! I have told others about it. I plan to go to NYC in late March and will let you know what happens on Hotwire then. Thanks!

Sorry you had to type that again... check your Private Messages (next to MY CONTROLS at the top right of the screen). I sent you a PM that your post was moved to the HOTEL REVIEWS section of the board.

Thank you for telling us about your positive experience and feedback.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]