Priceline Hotel: 3* Newark (Meadowlands-Rutherford) Sheraton

stormgeo
By stormgeo,
in

Placed bid through Savingbarn, got Sheraton at first try.

I actually picked this area by mistake, supposed to bid on Secaucus-North Bergen area. Now just have to live with it.

Thereuare: Is there any convenient public transportation to commute to NYC? Do I have to dirve? Thanks

There used to be a bus stop at the door of this hotel but NJ Transit stopped that about 2 years ago. The link dahammer provided above should provide the commuting info you need.

This is actually a very nice hotel and only about a mile west of the hotels in the Secacus-North Bergen zone, so locationwise they're in close proximity, the ony issue is that there's not much (ie- anything) to walk to in the immediate area. Many hotels in Secaucus/North Bergen are in a mall/business park complex that there are lots of restaurants, movie theaters, shops nearby, as well as a small indoor mall. If most of your time will be spend in NYC this probably wont' be an issue (but make sure to eat and in NYC or bring food back with you as there won't be much selection once you're at the hotel (unless the hotel's shuttle will take you to the nearby area).

I'm not familiar wiht the Secaucus train station but that may be another commuting option for you as well.

Thanks for using the SavingsBarn.com PRICELINE links to begin your bidding.

If I can be of further help with any questions regarding the area feel free to ask.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

You guys are really nice and helpful, thanks.

My parents and I will visit NYC, so want a convenient and reliable way to commute. Some reviews complaint about the hotel shuttle, so I don't want to put all my bids on it. Is it possible for me to park the car in Mill Creek Center or somewhere close to bus stop, then we can drive there and catch bus to NYC? Thanks

I'm sure that Mill Creek (as most malls) have a sign "Parking for Customers Only" so i'm sure technically they don't want it used as a parking lot for NYC commuters, but i don't know if they are enforcing this or not. One strip mall in Jersey City (where people use the lot to park their car while shopping at the adjacent mall, which charges for parking) recently started putting 'spotters' on the roof to watch people parking their cars and then walking towards the mall... once they left the parking lot property they'd have the car towed. With that said a few years ago i did leave my car at Mill Creek, met some friends who then drove to Giants Stadium, and had no problems.

There are a TON of office buildings in the area with adjacent parking decks and as they are used by multiple companies in the same buidling, i would that those would be relatively safe if you parked in 'visitors parking' (as long as it's not designated for a specific company). As well, there is a "Meadowlands Expo/Conference Center" (i forget the official name) in the same complex area and that might be a good place to park as i don't think they charge and there is no way to know who is attending the expo (if one is being held at the time). You may also be 'safe' by the movie theaters as it wouldn't be uncommon for a car to sit there for 4+ hours if somebody went to a movie and dinner (all in the same area).

Given all the above, i don't know where the bus stops are in this area so don't know how far any of the above is relative to the nearest stop.

Seems like there shouldn't be any problem with a shuttle leaving the hotel, and the only issue would be returning... i would probably use the shuttle just for convenience. When you return if there is an issue with the shuttle take a taxi... it can't be that much money, would give you peace of mind, and also gives you the option of alternate times/transportation back (ie- taking the train instead of the bus). Or just try the hotel shuttle once and if it's problematic make alternate plans for the remaining days. Bottomline is that a taxi from any bus stop to the hotel should be fairly cheap, so i would assume that all will go well with the shuttle, but know that it won't be expensive to 'fix' if you have a problem.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

One strip mall in Jersey City (where people use the lot to park their car while shopping at the adjacent mall, which charges for parking) recently started putting 'spotters' on the roof to watch people parking their cars and then walking towards the mall... once they left the parking lot property they'd have the car towed

This strip shopping complex has a Pep Boys and I suppose you could leave your car and have the tires rotated or get an oil change, just leave the car and pick it up at the end of the day. :)

While I can't exactly condone the following, you might also park on the top deck of the parking garage that's adjacent to the Amerisuites in Secaucus, this is reserved for hotel guests, walk to the second level of the garage and there is an entrance to the second floor of the hotel, you could take the elevator to the first floor, walk out the front door and you'll be close to the NJ Transit Bus Stop.

Or, if you have pangs of guilt (or don't want to risk your car getting towed) there is a Hudson County North Bergen Park and Ride that charges $7.50 for daily parking that includes one round trip bus ticket. Additional round trip tickets are $5.20, so this is a bargain and there are plenty of busses into the city. Try to get the bus by 9:30 am as there is a "bus only" lane through the tunnel and you whiz right past the folks sitting in traffic.

good luck!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]