Priceline Hotel: 3* Toronto (Downtown) Courtyard by Marriott

gleemonex
By gleemonex,
in

finally firmed up my plans today, so i decided to test the waters.

here's what i've done so far.

bid $27 for 3* in Downtown Toronto, rejected.

added Brampton as a free rebid, upped offer to $31, rejected.

opened new bid, $32 for 3* in Downtown Toronto and Scarborough, rejected.

opened new bid, $33 for 3* in Downtown Toronto and Toronto East, rejected.

opened new bid, $34 for 3* in Downtown Toronto, Brampton and Scarborough, rejected.

opened new bid, $35 for 3* in Downtown Toronto, Brampton and Toronto East, rejected.

opened new bid, $36 for 3* in Downtown Toronto, Scarborough and Toronto East, rejected.

all of this was bid through the barn.

are there any big conventions happening during these dates in Toronto? one can usually get a hit on one of the courtyards within the offer span here.

Thereuare will help you out with the bidding aspect of your question as he's the expert in these things.

I did just want to ask whether you would be happy in any of the likely 3* hotels that come up in the Downtown area of Toronto with Priceline?

I say this because the Strathcona is a possibility and there have been a lot of unhappy people after a stay there. Of course, others have said it's fine but I wanted to mention this as your stay is quite a long one. This could be a reason you're not having luck - Priceline may not have inventory for your entire stay.

Having said that, I haven't seen the Strathcona come up in a couple of months but that's not to say it won't come up again now.

for the most part, yes. i'm not that picky really. i've stayed at the downtown courtyard and found it more than adequate for my needs. i'm sure the others would suffice as well, although some have better locations than others.

the strathcona is just part of the risk one takes bidding 3* in downtown toronto. but even so, the strathcona has to be better than the hostel i stayed at on my first visit to toronto (an experience i hope never to repeat).

your point about the length of the stay is well taken. i might have to consider splitting it.

Gleem,

Sorry so long for me to respond.

How how i would you like to go before you consider splitting the stay?

Keep in mind that if there is one date during your stay with higher rates, you'll need to bid that amount for all of your nites to be successful. When splitting the stay, you could get a lower price for the part of your stay that doesn't have the inflated rates, while paying more only for the nites with the higher rates.

However, right now a quick look doesn't appear that one inflated nite is holding you up. I think you're close, but coming up just shy price-wise. Let me know how high your willing to bid before splitting the bid and i'll post a recommended strategy.

Thanks for placing your bids thru the 'barn. :)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

i'm thinking i don't want to go much higher than say $45 right now, as it's still fairly early.

also, i'm considering arriving a day earlier to catch the kraftwerk concert there.

so it'd be for the dates april 22 to may 3.

how does this sound for a split?

april 22 - april 26

april 27 - may 3

Since you have 7 bid opportunities (nice work!) i would try bidding again for the entire stay but start at $35 and go up to $41.

We have seen instances in the past where rates in the low $30's weren't avaialble and it has take bids between $36-$39. I'd imagine that it would be worth the extra money not to have to move during your stay?

If so, try the above for the entire stay, then we can talk about strategies of how to split it up. If you'd rather go cheaper and try splitting first than say so, but i do think you'll be successful under $41.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

bid $35 for 3* in Downtown Toronto, rejected.

added brampton as free rebid, bid $36, rejected.

new bid $37 Downtown Toronto & Scarborough, rejected.

new bid $38 Downtown Toronto & Toronto East, rejected.

new bid $39 Downtown Toronto & Brampton & Scarborough, rejected.

new bid $40 Downtown Toronto & Brampton & Toronto East, rejected.

new bid $42 Downtown Toronto & Scarborough & Toronto East, rejected.

new bid $45 Downtown Toronto & Brampton & Scarborough + Toronto East, rejected.

:)

Do you want to try splitting the bids now?

In the quick look i did this afternoon i didn't see prices fluctuate on any particular night of the stay, which is why i don't think there is any one nite holding you up. The 7 day max that WT pointed out may be a factor, but before i split the bid i would sooner try going up to $41 just in case that's enough to get a complete stay without the risk of changing hotels. But that's just me.

If you're going to split the bid first, rather than split the bid down the middle i would try to isolate the back weekend (but don't book the back weekend until you have confirmed the longer front part of your stay). Expedia is usally NOT a good place to check rates, but if you take a look there they show a rate jump at the Courtyard by Marriott (an often received 3* hotel in the zone) for 5/1-5/3. (this very well may be what's affecting your success for this stay)

tried doing a split for 4/22 - 4/28 (six nights)

opening bid $33 for 3* in Downtown Toronto, rejected.

added Brampton, upped to $35, rejected.

new bid, Downtown Toronto + Scarborough, $37, rejected.

new bid, Downtown Toronto + Toronto East, $39, rejected.

new bid, Downtown Toronto + Brampton + Scarborough, $41, rejected.

new bid, Downtown Toronto + Brampton + Toronto East, $43, rejected.

new bid, Downtown Toronto + Scarborough + Toronto East, $46, rejected.

With so many re-bids available by just changing each part of the stay by just one date i'd be patient with this and continue to try different combinations (assuming you have a little time on your hands).

You can try a few few bidding cycles each day, using a different date combination every day. After the third day of bidding you can go back to your original dates from the first day (if you follow that, if not, post and i'll explain further)

No problem, here's what i meant:

Day 1:

Bid 4/22-4/30 and

Bid 4/30-5/3

Day 2:

Bid 4/22-4/29

Bid 4/29-5/3

Day 3:

Bid 4/22-5/1

Bid 5/1-5/3

Day 4:

start over again with Day 1

Day 5:

start over again wtih Day 2

Day 6:

start over again wtih Day3

so-on, so-on...

My thought is that by using a combination of dates, along with re-bids, you have plenty of bidding opportunities. Trying so many combinations each day will drive you crazy while you wait for availability to open up. Following the above allows you to look everyday for the release of low-priced inventory.

While researching this a bit tonite i also was reminded that the Canadian dollar has stegnthened somewhat against the US dollor, so i would epect to pay at the high end of the range rather than the low end just based upon currency fluctuation (but your current bidding amount should eventually be enough, i would think).

bid $28 for 3* in DT Toronto, counteroffer to add $7.

ignored counteroffer, added brampton, bid $31, accepted.

Courtyard By Marriott Toronto Downtown

Downtown Toronto

475 Yonge Street

Toronto, Ontario M4Y 1X7

416-924-0611

Check-In Date: Thursday, April 22, 2004

Check-Out Date: Saturday, May 1, 2004

Your Offer Price: $31.00 (US dollars)

Number of Rooms: 1

Number of Nights: 9

Subtotal: $279.00 (US dollars)

Taxes & Service Fees: $34.85 (US dollars)

Total Charges: $313.85 (US dollars)

Well that's progress!!

Glad that nice long part of the stay worked out for you. That certainly has to take some of the pressure off!

Good example of how quickly inventory can change, as just 5 days ago your bid for fewer days than this at $46 was rejected... bet that didn't seem like a blessing at the time!

I assume you're still trying now for 5/1-5/3? Let us know if that is indeed the case, and if so, let's start a new thread for those dates and we'll add a link at the bottom of this one that will go to the new thread.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]