Air Travel and carry ons

OldRelayer
By OldRelayer,
in

We haven't traveled by Air after 2001, so a whole lot has changed. My plan is to travel light with each of us having a legal carry on bag. According to Delta that is 45 inches W + H + D or their example is 22 X 14 X 9.

I found some nice bags that are under this limit they are actually 16 X 14 X 9, with enough room for what we want to take for two days. I went to the government site and other than weapons I guess the big thing is liquids that have to be in one "1 Quart plastic baggy". Seems pretty straight forward, actually I will probably bring a disposable razor (not sure about this) and deodorant, everything else should be supplied by the hotel. Although my wife is another story, the one thing I can't figure out is hair spray? Anyother fluids that can be a problem? Other than that, everything will be clothes and papers for the trip. Is there something that is going to bite me if I don't pay attention?

I know they say show up early, most of our flying that day will be waiting. Going it is a 1:30 flight, checkout at the hotel is 12:00, thought we would leave as close as possible to 11:30 for the 5 minute shuttle ride to the airport. Is that safe or would more time be better?

We are very non frequent flyers, so any helpful advice would be nice.

I know someone is going to point me to a thread on this, honest I did look.

Thanks,

Barry

I would say anything your not sure about, pack in your checked luggage. Also, anything that could leak or explode (like hairspray) pack it in a good ziploc bag.

~JS

Jason's Storm- Making one killer deal after another. With something other than a machete to the head.

From the ashes of Friday the 13th Forum, rises Friday the 13th: The Community. A new beginning has arrived.

Thanks for the reply Jason. It is only two over nights, so we are going to travel light, that is only take what we can carry on. We don't fly much, but the one thing I do remember is the nightmare of the baggage, trying to avoid that. Yes, I thought hair spray might be a problem, might just have her buy a small can when we get there, actually all liquids are suppose to go into a one quart zip lock baggy, a quart size sounds bigger than it actually is, barely larger than a sandwich baggy. We are planning to spit the cash between us. Scan our Credit cards and have them in the carry on just in case they are lost or stolen. Trying to think of everything, but as usual its the thing you didn't think of that will bite you. Our friends have been asking us for several years to visit them in Florida, of course in the winter, if this goes well, maybe we will do that next year.

Thanks,

Barry

We haven't traveled by Air after 2001, so a whole lot has changed. My plan is to travel light with each of us having a legal carry on bag. According to Delta that is 45 inches W + H + D or their example is 22 X 14 X 9.

I found some nice bags that are under this limit they are actually 16 X 14 X 9, with enough room for what we want to take for two days.

Your bag should be fine.

I went to the government site and other than weapons I guess the big thing is liquids that have to be in one "1 Quart plastic baggy". Seems pretty straight forward, actually I will probably bring a disposable razor (not sure about this) and deodorant, everything else should be supplied by the hotel. Although my wife is another story, the one thing I can't figure out is hair spray? Anyother fluids that can be a problem? Other than that, everything will be clothes and papers for the trip. Is there something that is going to bite me if I don't pay attention?

I guess your talking about the TSA web site? http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/pro...ited-items.shtm Hair spray is allowed but it does count toward your total but has to be in a container sized less than 3 oz. Half of a 6 oz container is not allowed. Usually a disposable razor is not a problem but don't put it in the ziplock bag.

I know they say show up early, most of our flying that day will be waiting. Going it is a 1:30 flight, checkout at the hotel is 12:00, thought we would leave as close as possible to 11:30 for the 5 minute shuttle ride to the airport. Is that safe or would more time be better?

This depends upon the airport and day of travel. Some airports this is early some it is late.

My tips for moving thru the fake secuity check point.

Computer out of its bag and into a bin with nothing else.

No jewerly, watches, belt, clothing with metal ect.

Cell phone and change in my bag.

If possible no jacket or put it in my bag.

Slipon shoes so that I send them thru the bomb detecting x ray.

I found this useful for loose change last time I flew. Have a bottle cap to put the change in. It is easy to scoop up afterwards too.

~JS

Jason's Storm- Making one killer deal after another. With something other than a machete to the head.

From the ashes of Friday the 13th Forum, rises Friday the 13th: The Community. A new beginning has arrived.

Thanks for the help.

No computer.

jewlery, just rings on person?

If I bring a belt, which I sure would like to, have it on? in bag? does it matter, it is metal.

No cell phone.

I was thinking of wearing a light spring jacket, not a good idea, actually I thought the other way it wouldn't take up space in the bag if I wore it.

Funny you should mention shoes, I would normally where walking shoes for the tourist things we are doing and nice shoes for the event and dinner, but I was thinking of wearing a light black shoe that could actually double as both in a pinch and wear them, again trying to travel light. I have flown both ways, just with a carry on and with baggage, no baggage is much better, we can be at our hotel sipping hot chocolate before we get our bags.

I guess on the arrival at the airport, I will go with what the Airline reccomends, haven't asked yet.

Thanks for the help,

Barry

I fly a lot so this is based on my experience and observations. I never beep but see a lot of people who do beep. Now in most airports if you beep twice you get secondary.

jewlery, just rings on person?

Some jewlery beeps so be prepared to take it off.

If I bring a belt, which I sure would like to, have it on? in bag? does it matter, it is metal.

Metal in the belt will beep.

I was thinking of wearing a light spring jacket, not a good idea, actually I thought the other way it wouldn't take up space in the bag if I wore it.

Jackets have to come off and get placed in a bin.

So you will have to take off shoes, jewlery, belt and jacket. And remove bag with liquids from your bag. Gather these items at the the other end of the tunnel without reaching in. Then put them back on and back into the bag. Much quicker to have as many of these items in your bag until you go thru. Also place you bag with the liquids in an outside pocket.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]