Priceline Hotel: 4* DC (Convention Center-Capitol Hill) Hotel Monaco

silentwonder66
By silentwonder66,
in

I'm looking for a hotel in DC or adjacent area for the dates of 6/12-6/17. We're looking for something reasonable, clean and within very close proximity to the Metro. We will be travelling by car from Florida, and we are two families that would require two rooms. In trying to do our homework we found that bidding on three stars could be risky. Should we stick to four, to be on the safe side. Suggestions on bidding price for this time of year would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Few things to address before suggesting a bidding strategy...

we are two families...
How many members are in each family? Priceline only guarantees double occupancy... after that it's at the discretion of the hotel. Is this a risk you're willing to accept? If not, HOTWIRE may be a better option as they allow you to search for up to quad occupancy for each room, but HOTWIRE usually costs a little bit more than Priceline.
We're looking for something reasonable, clean and within very close proximity to the Metro
Whether you go with Priceline or HOTWIRE, you'll need to let us know which zone(s) as defined by priceline/hotwire you're willing to accept. If you look at a map of metro stops, you can use our Priceline Map of Washington DC to see where the hotel(s) are relative to the metro stations.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I would just add something to keep in mind when determining what zones is that the downtown zones, while generally desirable from a sightseeing perspective, will add significantly to your cost with parking charges. In DC these are about $20-30 per night. With 4 nights, this would likely add $100 or more to your stay (and that would be per car, not sure if 2 families implies 2 cars or not). This may still be worth it for other conveniences, but keep it in mind. You can mitigate this a bit by parking in a different garage, but in DC these tend to close entirely down at night (no access to your car at all), plus, by doing this, you would not have any in and out privileges. If neither of those matter, you could probably cut the parking cost in half or more that way, down to 40-50 bucks.

Also in my experience bidding 3* in the outlying areas is not as risky as 3* in downtown areas. In those areas walking distance to Metro could be iffy, though. Some places will be and some won't. Driving distance should generally be fine if you don't mind driving to the Metro, but some parking lots fill up so you'd have that to contend with. Hotel parking in most (but not all) outlying areas should be free.

Good luck!

Thanks to all. We're still debating on the bidding on priceline and the concern that we may not be able to accommodate 4(2adults&2children) in each room. We have decided that flying will be more economical especially when you look at a van rental, gas, additional hotel stays on the trip up to Washington and the parking cost in Washington.

We have been looking at Hotwire and our only concern is the lack of informtion on hotels. As previously mentioned, cleanliness and safe location are key.

Still very undecided on how to proceed, especially with location and hotel.

This site is awesome especially with the list of hotels defining star level. How can I gather a bit more information and reviews on the hotels listed? We're primarily looking at the 3* in Arlington, Alexandria and Dupont areas.

Thansk again to all.

All bids rejected on Priceline. Used the bidding strategy as indicated throughout the topics that have been posted. Starting bid was $70 with $105 being the highest. Bidding was for 4* in White House/Dowtown, Capitol Hill, Dupont and Georgetown. :) I will continue trying and will proceed to reducing star level and expanding to Alexandria and Arlington.

Unsure if we should book something outside of the priceline and hotwire option, to have as a backup. If so, which sites would be recommended to ensure we can cancel and receive a refund.

Quikbook (most rates are refundable... clearly marked if not) and EasyClickTravel (usually cancellable up to 2-3 days before check-in... if you click "more info" for a hotel, next to the price will be a 'View Facilities and Price Details' link... click that to see how many days you have to cancel).

For easyclicktravel, you can also use our Off The Record tool to help ID their opaque properties.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Mid-week dates in DC seem to high-priced for most Downtown/Dupont Circle hotels -- we just finished a Wed/Thu night stay at the Mayflower for $170/night, although it was short notice, but the weekend rate at Embassy Suites was only $100/night.

Our Mayflower reservation was through Priceline, and they did not have any objections to having 2 adults and 2 children (both under 5 years, though) in the room. They were also able to honor my request for 2 double beds (I called the hotel directly on the day of arrival). At the Embassy Suites (booked through Hotwire), they could not provide us 2 double beds (we had a king), but did get us a non-smoking room (which was a relief).

If you willing to take a chance on changing hotels during your stay, you might consider splitting your dates for bidding to reduce overall total cost. Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...

Using savingsbarn link, all bids rejected for 4* in the Washington area. Numerous bids were placed utilizing the re-bid zone strategy. Top bid was for $115.

I believe I will move on to 3* and 2.5*. Does anyone have any feedback if there is a Washington DC area that I should not bid 3 and 2.5*. I'm looking for safe, clean and close to a metro. Budget is 120-150/night and for now we would like to stay away from breaking up the stay.

Any suggestions are welcomed.

Thank you

I don't know enough about the lower rated hotels in DC to comment if there is a zone you should avoid, but until somebody more knowedgable about the area chimes in, i'd begin by reading reviews of reported hotels at the lower limit.

Budget is 120-150/night...
I assume you're budget really isn't $150/nite at this point since you're choosing to lower your star level before increasing to your maximum bid?

$150/nt is our last resort, we really want to stay at 120 and below. I used the priceline list you provide that identifies the star levels by hotel and area. I have read through alot of the reviews and you can really go either way. My hope is that someone has experienced staying at some of the 3 and 2.5* hotels through bidding priceline, and they can provide some insight on their experience.

I keep monitoring HOTWIRE and priceline, to determine which will be our best avenue.

Thanks again for a great website, i've learned alot.

I have some great news. After much debate, we decided to split our dates. Using Savingsbarn and the re-bid zone strategy we were able to get 4* Hotel Monaco for $100/nt. The dates will be for 6/9 - 6/13. Now we will begin the process over for the remaining days 6/13-6/17. I'm also contacting the hotel to arrange for double beds.

:)

Congratulations on your win!

Glad you were able to get this leg of your stay within your budget.

Please start a NEW TOPIC if you'd like help with the balance of your stay.

Thanks for begining your bids with the PRICELINE links at SavingsBarn.com :)

Enjoy this leg of your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]