Priceline Hotel: 4* Berlin (Tiergarten - Kufuerstendamm) Westin

WillTravel
By WillTravel,
in

I tried $59 a few days ago for the Tiergarten - Kufuerstendamm zone and got a counteroffer for $17 more.

I thought about whether to try to go for it, in hopes it would be the Westin, which would probably be worth a few extra dollars more than a hostel even for a cheapskate like me. I know there aren't any guarantees, of course.

So today, I tried a bid of $66 for the whole stay and got the same counteroffer to add $17 more.

I did not take a look to see what the US/Euro exchange rate has done in the past few days, but that is one factor that can make bidding tricky.

I don't really want to try bidding for any lower star levels in Berlin, because the zones are huge and I don't know the city at all. For the same reason, I didn't want to try bidding for any other zones in Berlin.

I looked at HRS.com and made a reservation for the Agon Frankfurter Allee hotel (rated 3*) in the Friedrichshain district. This is fully cancellable, so even though I don't know anything about the area, I can investigate it. The rate is 55 Euros per night for a double room with a full breakfast and tax. If anyone does know if this is a bad area, please let me know.

As mentioned on the Paris thread, I also used HRS.com for a booking there for a very reasonable rate.

Okay, maybe this is my lucky day.

Bid through SavingsBarn

Your Offer Price: $61.00

Number of Rooms: 1

Number of Nights: 5

Subtotal: $305.00

Taxes & Service Fees:

$59.52

Total Charges: $364.52

The Westin Grand

Friedrichstr. 158-164

Berlin, Germany

Hotel web site: http://www.starwood.com/westin/search/hote...estin&links=all

Lowest hotel web site rate: 136 Euros per night

As mentioned, I failed with $66 a few days ago. $61 was my first bid again today!

Even with a stay several months out, you apparently just never know when things are going to change suddenly.

Great reviews: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g1...lin-Berlin.html

Question: With such fabulous luck tonight, should I try Paris?

It seems incredible you could get this hotel for that price, Will, but I see it's no fluke -- another website has similar prices for more recent days (bid away, folks!).

FWIW, I like Berlin, and your location will be super-convenient. At those prices, makes me think I should make a summer trip, too. Now if only I could find a $200 summer airfare . . .

And why can't we get anything like this in Paris? :<)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi WillTravel... Just had a couple of questions for you regarding your Berlin bid... For what dates was this? (You mentioned it's a few months out...) and am understanding it correct when you say your bid (for exactly the same dates) a few days earlier, although higher ($66) was rejected with a counteroffer? I have stayed there a few times and they will treat you very well. Great hotel! Breakfast is expensive though... 23 EUR. per person!!!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]