Priceline Hotel: NYC 3 nights May 15-18

jicms
By jicms,
in

I am a UK resident looking for a good hotel for my son and US girlfriend for three nights in any central tourist location. Would ideally like 4* but not sure if budget of around $200 a night would cover it? The dates are flexible between May 12 & 25 and I'm a finding some hotels are cheaper mid-week others cheaper at weekends so not sure which to aim for. Is this an expensive week?

Would be grateful for advice and recommendations and which zone order to bid for.

Also is this the right time to bid on Priceline or am I more likely to get a good deal if I leave it till nearer the time?

Would you recommend bidding order of MTE, MTW, MTS, UMT, UE/UW

Should I be bidding on the UK or US site or doesn't it matter?

Do EasyClickTravel tend to have better prices than e.g. Expedia/Hotels.com?

Sorry for all the questions!

It's difficult to offer specific advice without exact dates - while you may not be sure of the final dates of travel at this time, please specify a set of exact dates within the range that you mentioned that you want advice on. How many days are you looking to book?

<<Would you recommend bidding order of MTE, MTW, MTS, UMT, UE/UW

Should I be bidding on the UK or US site or doesn't it matter?

>>

I'd be concenrating bidding on MTE/MTW, then UMT and MTS.

I would think the UK site would be where to bid if you are in the UK.

EasyClickTravel does have good deals at times, as does Quikbook.com.

With NYC hotel prices, I would try to lock in something sooner than later. May is a busy month in NYC.

I'm ready to bid for the fixed dates May 15-18 (3 nights). MTE/MTW, then UMT and MTS sounds fine, does that mean I'm best to forget UE/UW for now? Is there any difference between the UK and the US Priceline site, are the prices an exact currenct conversion? Would like 4* for max $170 before taxes if possible.

Would be grateful for bidding help. Thanks.

At the 3* level you have one re-bid zone. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 3* MTW...

Bid $100, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $110, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* MTE...

Bid $110, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* MTS...

Select 3* UM/CPS...

Select 3* MTW and MTE...

Bid $115, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $120, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* UM/CPS and MTS...

Bid $115, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $120, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* MTW and MTS...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* UM/CPS and MTE...

Bid $130, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* MTW and UM/CPS...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* MTS and MTE...

Bid $140, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* MTW and MTE and UM/CPS...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* MTW and MTE and MTS...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* MTW and MTE and UM/CPS and MTS...

Bid $155, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $160.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I have decided to only try and bid for 4* as I don't think I will better my Quikbook Park South booking but I guess you think $160 is way off?! Is this the case and if so would you consider Priceline's 3*s to be better than the Park Central. Sorry for not being clear.

You can try, but i'm doubtful you'll be successful at this point in time.

If you're looking to improve the quality over the Park South i would consider the Beekman Tower for $205/nite, the room has a kitchen and refrigerator (ideal for storing soda, water, drinks, breakfast foods, etc) and the review are very good.

The area is more 'residential' then tourist (some see this as a positive) and it's about a 10-15 minute walk to the subway, but there is a bus stop right near the door step to take you to midtown (or a subway station).

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

You can follow the same strategy above but since you have two re-bid zones avaiable, change the last step from:

Select 3* MTW and MTE and UM/CPS and MTS...

Bid $160.

TO...
Select 4* MTW and MTE and UM/CPS and MTS...

Bid $160, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $165.

(changed 3* to 4* and used the extra re-bid zone available at the 4* level)

Which will take you to your maximum bid.

Any questions regarding bidding or the change let us know.

Good Luck.

I failed. I followed all this through via savingsbarn and even put the final bid up to $180 but got turned down. I would like to try again in a few days/weeks or however long you suggest waiting.

Any chance you could spell out the complete 4* strategy again for me up to the $180 just in case I get confused about the extra rebid zone as I only added the second zone in the last step. (In the initial stages I alternated between adding the UES or UWS).

Just to confirm it is -

05/15/07 - 05/18/07 (3 nights)

4*

MTE

MTW

MTS

UM/CPS

max $180

Thanks.

Here's an updated strategy for you to follow...

Select 4* MTW...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Select 4* MTE...

Select 4* MTS...

Select 4* UM/CPS...

Select 4* MTW and MTE...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* UM/CPS and MTS...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTW and MTS...

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $160, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* UM/CPS and MTE...

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $160, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTW and UM/CPS...

Bid $165, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $170, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $175, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTS and MTE...

Bid $165, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $170, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $175, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* MTW and MTE and MTS and UM/CPS...

Bid $180.

Keep us updated and good luck!

• 2 years later...
03/03/07 - tried again, up to $185 (by raising the last bid) but unsuccessful. I will try again in a week or two.

My son panicked and found a reasonable deal with Quikbook - $199 nt. Thanks for all the help.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]