Priceline Hotel: Advice Needed - Philadelphia Bidding Months Ahead

funmom
By funmom,
in

We already know that we will be in Philadelphia for 3 nights July 31- August 2. After reading through your posted tips, I'm ready to bid now, 6 months in advance. Since I'm new to all of this, I would appreciate some feedback.

My biggest concern is location. We will be spending time in the Historic District and the Franklin Institute/Museaum of Art, want to eat at the Terminal Market (I understand breakfast is suggested so we can stop there on our way to our daily destination), and shop at the Shops at Liberty Place. If I were to book a room directly through a hotel, I would choose to stay in the Historic District or at the Convention Center across the street from Reading terminal Market. Since we'll have 2 middle school aged kids with us, I do not want to have to walk 6 blocks to get to the Phlash shuttle (e.g. from the Doubletree).

I see that the Marriott Courtyard is often won at $48, but if I bid on a 2.5*, I might be upgraded to a 3*, right? There are a handful of 3* properties several blocks off the Phlash route, so now I'm thinking I should begin by bidding low (maybe $56 since I have lots of time) on a 4* property, all of which appear to be within 2 blocks of the Plash with exception of Sofitel and Hyatt Bellvue. I figure that if we get a super deal on a 4*, then it makes hoofing 6 blocks worth it.....

Do I have the right strategy in mind? Also, when bidding this far in advance, are there certain hotels that are most often won?

Last question - I read that a couple months back, someone bid on a 3* and got upgraded to the the 4* Omni for $46 per night. Should I start at $46 for 4*? Or is that just unreasonably low since there are no ther posts of 4* for less than $56?

Thanks much!

Welcome to BetterBidding!

First issue you have to deal with is that priceline only guarantees double occupancy... were you planning on searching for two rooms, is this a risk you're willing to take, or a risk you weren't aware of?

HOTWIRE will allow you to search for up to quad occupancy, but usually costs a little more than Priceline. However, it also has the added advantage of being able to target specific properties, which in your case, sounds like it could be a big factor.

Let us know your thoughts on the above and how you'd like to proceed, we'll then advise accordingly.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

thereuare - thanks for directing me to Hotwire. My friends have been taking their families to priceline purchased hotels with success in getting rooms with 2 beds, but yes, I'm willing to pay a bit more to know I won't be stuck.

It looks like Historic Holiday Inn is $129, Sheraton Society Hill is $179 and Hyatt Penn's Landing $233. In City Center East Loews/Westin would be $237. Don't think Courtyard is an option as only 2.5* offered only has a pool and restaurant, no business services - Does this hotel ever come up on Hotwire?

I already have back up reservation at Holiday Inn Historic Distric for $152, so Hotwire does not offer much savings. I'm really wanting to secure one of the above hotels for $70 or less (as many posters got the Hyatt on Priceline), but I'm willing to pay more as the date draws closer.

When I looked at the Hotwire post history, the Shearton Society Hill was had for Hotwire $74-79 last July with bookings made just a week or so prior. The other posters paid $121 and up for 3* and above.

Any suggestions as to how I should manage the timing? I'm one of those that either makes the arrangements now and forgets about it until we're set to depart, or I have to mark my calendar to remind me to check on things - I'm not very good at checking rates every week (out of sight, out mind)......

Thank you dhammer for the specific dining suggestions - food is VERY important to us!

Rates for last July may have very little correlation to rates for your specific dates (this July). Something as simple as a wedding, convention, or other event taking place at a hotel can drastically effect rates.

If you dont' want to take the risk of double/quad occupancy issues with Priceline then there isn't much you can do other than continue to check HOTWIRE every day (or other day) or so. in the meantime i would try to find a suitable, cancellable, back-up property (use our BetterChecker tool to help).

As you get closer (and your budget) may increase, you can also consider trying priceline for two rooms, which on some occaisions can actaully be cheaper than one room booked direct.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]