Priceline Hotel: 1* and 2* hotels in NYC

WillTravel
By WillTravel,
in

I saw a cheap 48-hour airfare sale by United, so I am possibly thinking of visiting NYC. Now my usual tendency is to go cheap, when advisable, but not if it means giving up a good location or safety. However, there really is very little history of 1* or 2* bids in NYC.

I know no one knows what might show up, but as a general rule, would a 1* or 2* hotel in the typical NYC zones (MTE, MTW, MTS, CPS, UWS, UES) be something to avoid? The lack of amenities is not a concern. Bedbugs, mites, open drug dealing, and poor security would be ;-).

At the bottom rung of the NYC hotels are hourly room rentals (for variety use), bank-type windows to protect the hotel's register and personel, and other less than desirable conditions. As far as rodents, they're everywhere, it's just a question of whether you get to see them or not. A few weeks ago my friend and i were walking in the Village and in broad daylight we saw a mouse run into a restaurant. I non-challantly turn to my friend and say, "Good, another customer", to which he quickly retorted, in reference to their chalkboard sign in front, "I guess they mispelled their sign, it says "House Special" but it should read "Mouse Special". :)

Whether Priceline/Hotwire deal in hotels of this caliber i do not know, but they're certainly out there and i believe would spoil a trip!

I would have no problems with a 2.5*, and might even have no problems with a 2* which might end up being a La Quinta or Days Inn type property, but i would definately stay away from 1* properties.

Also, although there is a difference in price between different star ratings in NYC, the differences are usually not that great... something to keep in mind when trying to lowball.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for the response. That sounds pretty well in line with what I expected. No use saving money if it means compromising health or safety.

I looked at other airfares and found prices cheaper than United on sale, so I think I won't rush to decide whether I'm going or not. But I'll update if and when I do decide to go.

• 3 weeks later...

Another factor to consider is the fact that there is a real tangible cost per room associated with maintaining a hotel of any type in NYC. 1* and often 2* properties as well tend to be smaller hotels in many cases. They have lower rates to begin with and less flexibility in giving discoutns on programs like Priceline if they do choose to participate. When I visited NYC this past December and occupancy rates were very high, I totally struck out on 2.5* and higher. Out of curoisity I tried "fishing the bottom" and bidding on 1* and 2* properties. It was likely due to the busy season but even at bids as high as $80 per night I got nothing. I ended up staying at the Hotel Madison for about $65 - $70 per night including all taxes and fees. It's a clean, safe and conveneintly located property but is a cheesy old SRO hotel that has been converted to a budget class tourist hotel. No bugs, no drugs, no rodents. Just students and foreign travelers and a few older budget minded folks like myself. I would not stay there again unless I had to as it's a bit depressing but it very well secured - only hotel guests are allowed past the lobby and they have 24 hour per day security on watch.

• 3 months later...

Will -

I've read of people getting the Murray Hill Suites as a 2*, also the Howard Johnsons on 50th & 8th and the Milford Plaza. People have been happy at the first and complained about the other two. It's a crapshoot. I would be nervous about a 1* NY hotel, because I'm not sure it would be part of a chain (the Days Inn is probably 2* here.)

If you come to town, let us know :)

A friend of a friend has informed me that he's bid on pricelin three separate times. always for 1* and always in Midtown South. On all three occasions he was upgraded to 2* and won the Murray Hill Suites. His winning bids ranged from $35 to $45 per night but it's sure as heck not going that cheap at this time of year. I'm still working on getting a room for June 11 - 12 and had no luck with 1* and 2* in NYC at $40-45 per night. I've even struck out with the NJ choices this far but will start rebidding in a few days.

That Howard Johnson has rather terrifying reviews also. I've noticed that the air + hotel packages on Priceline that feature Murray Hill Suites can be very cheap (relatively speaking). There are very cheap airfares from YVR to JFK now for June, but I decided to hold off anyway given I have the July trip to Europe. Sometime I will get there for sure; I hope sooner rather than later.

I stayed at a 2* Milford Plaza recently and absolutely loved it. Perfect location and a very good hotel. The only complaint is that they charge $3 to store your bag if you have to check out in the morning and your flight out is in the evening. Still, not a big deal considering the savings.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]