Priceline Hotel: 2* Carlsbad NM 4/4/07 one night

belgo
By belgo,
in

According to tripadvisor, most of the motels there are pretty dumpy, but for one night, we'll be OK. Hotwire doesn't seem to list any accommodations there. There are two Best Westerns who want to charge $93 :) (I don't qualify for the Seniority Rate :) and I don't suppose I qualify for the business traveler rate either, and they don't have a AAA discount :) ). There's also a Comfort Inn for $81, Ocotillo Inn for $61, and Executive Suites for $71. I really don't want to pay retail for these dumps. If I can't get a decent rate on Priceline, I think I'll go for the HIX in Artesia. I used the savingsbarn link, of course. :o

Thanks for trying your priceline bids thru the SB links.

Expedia as the Executive Inn for $60 if that makes a difference to you at all (either choosing a property or your maximum bid).

How high do you intend to bid? Would like like even a $50 bid would still be worthwhile, no?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I don't think I'll be going over $45... Interestingly, the 1*'s (Days Inn and Super 8) seem to have at least as good a reputation on tripadvisor as any of the 2*'s. I've never bid on a 1* on Priceline before, but I'm sorely tempted. Another possibility is to bid on a 2 1/2* in Roswell for two nights (I was tentatively planning on being there the previous night, and may just extend it).... :)

$40 didn't work either. I'm really scratching my head here. Interestingly, the places AAA ranks most highly are the Days Inn (also ranked #1 by tripadvisor), and the Comfort Inn (ranked quite low by tripadvisor, but given 3 diamonds by AAA). I understand Priceline usually rates these 1*, and, in fact, the Days Inn is listed as a 1* on Priceline.com. Part of me wants to bid 1*, but there is another place in town called the Stagecoach Inn and I'm worried about getting stuck there... Or I could spend an additional night in Roswell and just wake up earlier. I don't suppose anyone has any guesses as to what would come up for 1*?? :)

This is common in small towns... you can often get a much larger discount in a big city than you can in a small town (unless that small town is a business park and you're looking for a weekend stay). As well, there are fixed costs to putting a guest in a hotel room, and there just isn't as much margin to discount a $65 room as there is to discount a $150 room.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

The Best Western Stevens Inn had a government employee rate for $64. It didn't specify that you had to be on government business, and since I work for the government, I decided to go for that rate. I did book it through the "Travel links to support better bidding" page. I didn't see any sense in going any higher on Priceline.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]