Priceline Hotel: New York May 20-27 Bidding Help 4*

Hqly
By Hqly,
in

Hi,

I'm new to this board and can't seem to be able to get a 4 star hotel while bidding up to $180.

I got carried away and went up to 180, however, I was hoping to get a room for about 160-170.

Any advice? I'm willing to go for a 3* if it's Millenium UN, I noticed that it comes up often.

I've tried up to $140 with no luck for 3*. Found out that Millenium is $179 for May 24-26 and I still couldn;t get it for 140. I've booked red roof at 210 +fees from may 20-24 and Millenium from 24-26 as cancellable backups. We're going to go celebrate anniversary and i got the ticket before i even looked at hotel. Didn;t know that i will be going during high season lol..

thanks all!

Are you only bidding the MTE zone or are you bidding others as well?

I think it's risky for you to be bidding a 3* in the MTE zone since there are other hotels besides the Millenium UN.

Given that youre stay is 4+ months away, are you willing to split your bid at this point with a non-refundable reservation?

Let us know the above and we'll take it from there.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hi Thereuare,

I've booked red roof in from may 20-24 and Millenium from 24-26 as cancellable backups.

I would prefer 4* and my max range is anout 160-170, trying to stay below 200 a night including fees.

Out of the 3* that has been won in MTE, Millenium comes up quite a bit, so I was hoping that it would pop up again. I'm not familiar with the other 3*'s but I'm guessing that they may be better than red roof, which is only 2*? I want to avoid Paramont. If you can help me get a 4* in that price range then it would be great.

Still 4 months away so I'm not panicking yet.

I'm willing to split my stay if need be.. i do notice that it's harder to get 7 nights.. plus most of the hotel rates for may 20-24 are a lot higher than 24-26th.

Thanks.

Are you only bidding the MTE zone or are you bidding others as well?
Please let us know which zones you have already bid.

Also, on HOTWIRE there is a 3.5* for $149/nite which matches the previously reported amenties for the Millenium UN. This would save you about $25/nite over your cancellable back-up, but not sure if you'd want to lock-in to splitting your stay this far ahead of your check-in date for $75 or so.

If you went with this optio you could also then book the Eastgate Tower for $229/nite thru Quickbook (yes, more than your budget, but this averaged with your stay above would give you an average nightly rate of less than $200/nite). This is also a "pay when you stay" rate so it is cancellable and gives you another option vs. the Red Roof Inn. The Eastgate Tower gets good reviews and is also located fairly close to the Millenium UN.

Your thoughts on the above? Also, dont' forget to let us know if you're only bidding MTE.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I've tried all zones for 4* up to 180 (kinda got carried away the other night).. and 3* I'd tried to 140 with no luck.

I think I'll pass on $149 for Millenium UN.. I'll try to play the waiting game.. since i wouldn;t be unhappy with red roof nor Millenium.. I figured I can constantly bid and wait since I have over 4 months left til departure.

Eastgate does look good.. hm.. you plan sounds good.. but it'll be about 25-30 more per night (including tax and fees) than red roof for 4 nights.. about 100 more.. I know it's only 100 more but I think I'm overpaying for red roof already.. so i will hold off and wait and maybe try for a 4* instead.. if not then settle for red roof..

my preference

4*

Downtown

MTW

MTE

UMT-CPS

3*

MTE

MTS

Downtown

I'd be happy with any hotels in those zones except maybe a few, but I won;t complain. Maybe prices will go down as we pprocah the date.. or maybe it will increase.. this is like gambling lol

Well I chose downtown because I like their 4* hotels. I figured that I can take the subway or walk anywhere i want. I dunno why but my perception is that NYC is a small area which I can walk everywhere.. maybe i'm wrong. I didn't bid utm-cps for 3* because i didn;t like some of the hotels offered for the 3* level. I do like their 4* hotels though. Maybe I should avoid Downtown? I would hate to have to take a cab back everynight or come back to a ghost town.. like here in san francisco.. the financial district is like a ghost time once work is out..

Our main purpose of this trip is to try the food in new york, sightsee and for my wife to shop.

So we would rather spend less on hotel if possible. However, we would still like to experience living in NYC.

I was hoping to wait til the last minute and get lucky and land the Sophitel for 160 a night.. i know i'm dreaming!

Given your circumstances i would not bid the Downtown zone... i don't think you'll be happy there based upon your comments above. I would add UM/CPS to your bidding at the 4* level... but not at the 3* level (since you are happy with a 4* hotel in this area but not necessarily a 3*)

We can suggest a strategy, but you didn't say if you're sure you want to add the Downtown zone... it's really not a central location for tourists. If you want to bid it we'll include it in a bidding strategy, but it wouldn't be my choice this much time before your stay. You can't really walk from midtown to downtown... well you could (and i have), but it's well over an hour walk.

What is your current maximum bid for a 4 star? for a 3 star?

Oboy, i do still see the MTC hotel, but at $165/nite.

Hqly,

When bidding 4* in NYC you have two re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* MTE...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTW...

Bid $140, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* UM/CPS...

Select 4* MTE and MTW...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $155, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTE and UM/CPS...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $155, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTE and MTW and UM/CPS...

Bid $160, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $165, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $170.

If the above is rejected and you then want to try for a 3*, you only have one re-bid zone available. Close any existing browsers and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* MTS...

Bid $115, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $120, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* MTE...

Bid $115, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $120, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* MTE and MTS...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130.

If the above fails you can retry the entire process in 24 hours, repeating the 4* strategy as shown, but increasing each bid in the 3* strategy by $5 or $10 (depending upon whether or not you want to try yet again 24 hours later).

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Hello thereuare, I am also new in the forum, as well as in using priceline.com.

I am trying to get a hotel in NY for feb18 thru feb 23, and decided to use this strategy you set, but couldn't find this re-bid zone option.

I bid $120 for a 4*MTE that was rejected and didn't see the option to place a re-bid, unless I changed something (date, zone, etc).

I would appreciate if you could help me with this matter.

Thanks in advance!

Pre

prea

Rates are date specific, so it's not advisable to follow a strategy for dates that are different than your own... it can lead to wasted bids, or at worse, an overbid.

Please start a NEW TOPIC for your own stay so that this thread can continue for Oboy and there is no confusion between the strategies for each of you.

Hi,

I noticed that someone won bids for paramount from 5/24-5/28 on the hotwire board for 119, i was unable to get a 3* from 5/20-27 on priceline up to $140. Does anyone know if both priceline and hotwire draw hotels from the same pool or each set their price separately?

i guessing that mybe the 20-23 are harder to get rooms, but i've even tried 24-27 without luck. Any thoughts? If they are run and priced differently then maybe i will try hotwire.

any thoughts?

Thanks!

They are two different companies so they each have their own access to <different> inventory... some hotels that participate with one company may not participate with the other (although they both do participate wiht the Paramount).

Does HOTWIRE show the paramount for the date(s) of your stay? (or a subset of your dates?)

Please use this HOTWIRE link to begin any searches or purchases that you do.

Let us know what you find and if we can be of help in trying to identify any properties presented.

I guess I will just stick with Priceline. Been busy with a lot of stuff. I figured that no matter what I will need to wait until closer to find a good deal. I've reserved a couple of places as back ups.. so hopefully I will hear more success as May nears. I searched back to previous year and it doesn't appear that there were too many may bids won last year nor the year before posted.. looks like it might be tough to get a good deal this trip!

Thereuare,

A friend happen to knwo someone who works at the marriot and can get me roomat the Courtyard manhatten for 230 including tax a night.. so 199+tax. Tripadvisor highly rates it.. what do you think?

It's a no cancellation booking so I can't change mind. It's a regular room 230sqft with a king bed..

i'm not sure if 2320 is big or not.. but i heard that the location is prime..

what do you think? go for it or wait for 4*. I guess as long as the room is not tiny and convenient then it might be better than a 4*?

Thanks.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]