CA San Francisco Opal Cathedral Hill

zbenye
By zbenye,
in

Priceline zone: Cathedral Hill

Hotwire zone: Japantown / Civic Center North

This hotel is close to the seedy Tenderloin, but on presumably safer Van Ness Ave. There were some street people but they didn't bother anyone, and I did not feel unsafe. Avoid trouble at night by not wandering unnecessarily east or south of the hotel. North and west are fine.

The building is old but soundproofing was quite good. I had a room facing the busy Van Ness / Geary intersection and the double-paned windows kept most of the noise out.

The lobby was nice with a piano and a dining area where the free breakfast was served. This hotel was formerly a La Quinta; breakfast was kept with the same ingredients.

There are two modern elevators. In the basement there is a small workout facility and a guest laundry. The dryer is missing the tumbler bars so it doesn't dry very well. I asked the front desk to have this repaired; will see next time if they did.

The room was small and had one queen bed. There were a desk, one chair, three drawers and one nightstand. A small closet. Iron+board. The TV was quite large, with an impressive selection of channels. Lighting was too dim. There was only one available power outlet by the desk. Coffee maker and supplies were provided. Everything was clean. The bed was a bit too hard for me. The drapes on the windows were mounted such that some outside light could come in, so it wasn't dark enough for me at night to get good sleep.

The bathroom was cramped. A seashell-shaped sink did not have any room around it to place toiletries. A small shelf over the toilet was the only place to park stuff. The water in the sink and shower had to be let to run for a few minutes before they became hot. Water pressure was good. Towels were of good quality. Reasonable soap and shampoo.

The windows could be opened for natural air-conditioning and there also was a modern air-conditioning system installed.

The free wired Internet connection worked fine. Wireless access is available in the lobby.

No newspaper, no free local calls, no additional charges on checkout.

• 2 weeks later...

Second stay here. Got a similarly small room, but there was a problem with the air conditioner so I went back and got another room. This time it was a large room with a king bed. Much more spacious than the previous rooms, so I guess the former were what they give out to Priceline customers.

This room is well lit. Other than that, I have the same comments as above: bathroom cramped with no room for toiletries; light comes in from the sides of the drapes; bed a bit too hard.

• 2 months later...

I just came back from a stay here (2/1-4/07, $44/night bid) and my experience was much as zbenye's. I like a firm mattress so that was an asset to me. The room decor is uninspiring but clean. The location is very convenient if you're going to the Opera House (about five minute's walk down the hill on Van Ness) The hotel also has an exercise room with good cardio equipment but only dumbbells and a bench for weight training.

I wouldn't aim here for a romantic weekend, but given the included extras and the solid quality it's a great value-for-money pick.

• 4 months later...

I've stayed here several times, when it was La Quinta and now as The Opal, via Priceline and Hotwire. The five-story hotel is almost 100 years old but they keep it in good repair. The rooms vary tremendously in size and view. I don't think I've had two rooms with the same layout. I enjoy staying in an old hotel like this with charm and character. Not luxurious but also not rundown.

This last stay was the first time I had a room I found unsatisfactory because it was about four feet from one of the hotel's two elevators. The elevator rings loudly every time the door opens or shuts and I could clearly hear the ringing in my room. I requested a different room and they put me in a MUCH better room, on the top floor, about 40% larger than the first room with a king bed (other room had queen) and partial view of Van Ness Avenue and the theater next door (other room looked at a blank wall).

So yes there are "Priceline rooms" and "Hotwire rooms" at this hotel, but if you're not happy ask if anything else is available. I've found the staff tries to accomodate.

Rooms are as described above. Only changes I noticed with the transition from LaQuinta to Opal are 1) there's no longer a doorman (which is fine with me) and 2) they no longer serve waffles with the free breakfast. (Also fine with me).

Parking is $25/day in a secure gated lot next to the hotel. You're assigned a numbered space. Small gym on premises or you can use the 24 Hour Fitness two blocks away with $9 guest pass. Mel's Diner is on the hotel's ground floor and accessible via hotel lobby. Tommy's Joynt (130 brands of beer) across the street and many Asian restaurants within a short walk. I like Thai Stick right around the corner.

Hotel was very busy during my last stay, about 50% European tourists. I heard lots of French and German at breakfast and in the elevators. Also a group speaking Russian. All the hotel staff are adept at giving directions and advice to tourists, if you need that.

Good public transportation nearby with Van Ness bus across the street and California Street cable car several blocks north. Nearest BART station is Civic Center, about a half mile away. It's about a 15 minute walk up Geary to Union Square or less than $5 cabfare.

I like the Opal's personality and find it a good value. It's one of my preferred SF hotels in the "under $65" category.

• 1 month later...

Since my last stay at the Opal the daily charge for parking has gone up from $25 to $28.50/night. Still a good deal by SF standards. Parking is available in the deck at the Cathedral Hill Hotel, across the street from the Opal, for $20/night with in and out privileges.

• 2 years later...

I stayed at the Opal Hotel 05-21-10 for 5 nights.

The stay was enjoyable and the great price I got it at through Priceline made it a steal.

I did not have a rental car, so I didn't have to deal with parking, but I beleive it was price at $28.50 per night, with underground parking with a locked entrance.

Many of the reviews on this and other sites was wary of the area due to it being close to the Tenderloin area and the abundance of homeless/begging people. It is my opinion that San Francisco is full of homeless people, no matter what part of the city you are in. Yet they are the most laid back/well behaved homeless I have seen in any city. A quick shake of the head indicating 'no' to them, and they quickly quiet themselves and say nothing more. At no time in the city or near the hotel did I feel unsafe walking in the streets.

The hotel lobby was very nice. On Wednesday night evening they had a piano player along with a free wine and cheese reception. It wa very nice.

I chatted up the man checking me in, making sure he knew it was my first time to the city and that I was very excited to be there. He was extremely nice and helpful and I believe I ended up with one of the nicest rooms in the hotel. It ended up being on the fifth (top) floor and a very nice corner room with a king bed. Looking at the maps of the rooms, It was the largest on the floor.

The room was clean, but nothing fancy, but it was very much worth the money and I was happy.

The television was a basic tube tv with an average amount of cable channels.

I will gladly stay at this hotel again.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]