Hotwire Hotel: 2* Chicago (Millennium Park-Loop-Grant Park) Travelodge

mfrankl3
By mfrankl3,
in

Keep in mind that if you bid for 3* in either of the downtown areas, you could get "upgraded" to a 4*. While that's generally not bad (aside from the average Hyatt) in terms of the Millennium Park/Loop/Grant Park area, the Millennium Knickerbocker is a 4* in the River North/NMA that has a lot of history but is very hit-and-miss (some people think it's satisfactory, others are sharply - or even extremely, in some cases - negative.) The River North/NMA area has some very nice 4* hotels otherwise (although the Sheraton is average, at best), though.

As for the 3* hotels, the River North/NMA area has the better selection.

That said, what is your max that you would want to bid? Prices are a bit higher than normal for your dates.

Thank you for the reply.

I have two basic needs -- (1) I must be downtown since I have a meeting to which I would like to walk or take a short cab ride if possible on 11/15, and (2) I would like to keep the nightly rate as reasonable as possible (hence beginning with a 3*). Now, with this in mind, to answer your question -- I guess about $100/night. I have to admit that this is somewhat a stab in the dark and I can affort more but would prefer to pay as reasonable (I know this is a relative term) rate as possible (also hence using Priceline) at a property that is fairly well-appointed.

I hope this provides some more details and look forward to more assistance with strategy.

Thanks again.

$100 will probably not be enough for 3* (the two Holiday Inns in the River North/NMA area are $245 and $280) or 4* (although I hope it will be) but I would start with a bid of $100 a night for a 4* in each of the main downtown zones (River North/NMA and Millennium Park/Loop/Grant Park only) first, then try for a 3* in each of the two areas if a 4* does not go through. Hopefully a 3* or 4* in either of these areas will accept.

In terms of staying in either downtown area, Chicago is quite walkable and there's plenty of public transit. The River North/NMA area has a better selection of 3*s, but in terms of keeping the price down as much as possible, I'd go for both areas and see if any hotels will accept.

Upon closer look, it's the first day that's really causing the issue. The second day is cheaper, with Hotwire having a 3.5* in the Loop (likely the Allegro) for $95, but the problem with that is that the Allegro isn't available for the prior day and matching up something else on the first day with the Allegro on the second may be difficult to do for a reasonable price.

Upon closer look, it's the first day that's really causing the issue. The second day is cheaper

unless your willing to split your stay, your bid for both days must be greater than the highest minimum bid that the hotel is willing to accept for that first day. You will likely end up overpaying for the second day compared to bidding for it individually.

Throwing out some random thoughts:

1. Hotwire's cheapest downtown 3 or 4* property in the downtown area is a 4* in the Mag Mile/Wacker Drive area with the amenities: fitness/restaurant/spa/tennis nearby for $208. That would likely be the Swissotel. The next most expensive is a 3* in the same zone with the amenities: fitness/pool/restaurant/business/laundry for $221. That would likely be the Holiday Inn Mag Mile. Priceline may be able to get you either of these properties (the Hilton Towers and Palmer House, both $299 for each day, *may* also be possibilities) for less, although the question is how much? While it's good to bid conservatively, I have a feeling that it may take $150 a night or more to win any of the above (or a 3* or 4* in general) for both nights.

2. The Allegro is $95 on Hotwire for the second day. However, the hotel appears to be booked up for the first day. If you bid on Priceline for a 3* in the Millennium Park/Loop/Grant Park area ($81 would be a reasonable bid), you could *potentially* get the Allegro (or one of the two Club Quarters properties - the other 3*s in the area) for a bit cheaper. The only problem is what to pair up with it. Hotwire has the Swiss for $269 for the first day and has a 2* Loop hotel (possibly the Best Western Grant Park or the Travelodge Downtown? *Definitely not sure* - the hotel has not been reported yet.) for $117.

If that is, in fact, the BW, then it would be about a 5-15 minute (depending on the time of day) cab ride from the Allegro. The BW is just the basics, and while the museums aren't a far walk, there's otherwise little going on in the blocks around it. The Travelodge offers a slightly better location, but is definitely an older hotel and also, the bare basics. You could also bid on Priceline for a 3* or 4* for the first day if you did both days separately, although it would almost certainly take more than $117.

3. While none of the major travel sites seem to indicate that they have any rooms, the Buckingham Athletic Club may be worth a call. Their rates are generally pretty reasonable. It's a private athletic club in the South Loop area of downtown that does offer rooms to the public, plus you get free breakfast and use of their extensive workout facility. The website is http://bac-chicago.com/ and the phone # from the website is 312-663-8910.

Any questions, please post and we'll be happy to help. :)

Thank you all (especially AaronJB) for these thoughts. This is beginning to be somewhat frustrating and the cost in one sense is becoming more of an issue. I am dropping my standards to 2* in both areas (NMA-RNA or Loop) (I really just need a decent hotel room), but I have have problem as to breaking up the two nights. My meeting on 11/15 is all day with almost no time to get back to first hotel, pack by check-out (usually noon or at least by 2pm) and move hotels on the same day and get back to my meeting. So, I am somewhat stuck and believe I need to book the same hotel for 2 nights. Hence the pricing issue. I looked at the BAC wesbite, but the rates appear a little too steep.

So, with my decrease by one star and the information above, any further thoughts / guidance / strategy?

Thanks.

Would the Loop (south of the river) or the River North/NMA area be more convenient to your meeting?

Well, my concern with bidding 2.5* in the River North/NMA area is the Tremont, which is in a very terrific location, but is really a pretty worn out hotel - while some give it okay reviews, many are sharply negative - to give you an idea, the latest review of the Tremont on tripadvisor.com has the subject line, "Flee! Flee! Flee!". Unfortunately, the other 2.5*s (a Hilton Garden, a pair of Courtyards, A Residence Inn and a great Homewood Suites) happen to be terrific, making it really too bad that the Tremont has to get in the way of bidding for a bunch of nice hotels.

The 2* hotels in that area have not been reported on for a long time, although it's believed that the only remaining ones are the Seneca (an older building that's half hotel, half condo; half the people that stay there think it's okay, half dont' seem to) and a terrific Fairfield Inn.

All of these hotels are in terrific locations right off Michigan Ave, but both 2* and 2.5* each have one risky hotel (the Tremont and, to a somewhat lesser extent, the Seneca.)

Sadly, given that I actually see what appears to be the Tremont on sale for $115 (it's $240 on Orbitz) on EasyClickTravel for your dates, I think it's fairly likely that, if you bid 2.5* on Priceline, that's what you'll end up with. If you bid 2*, you may also get "upgraded" (although I wouldn't use that term in this case) to that, as well. Nothing's 100% guaranteed, but I have a feeling you may end up with that hotel if you bid.

You can read the mix of reviews for the Tremont here: http://chicago-hotels.tripadvisor.com/Hote...o_Illinois.html

There's less in terms of the loop zone when it comes to 2* (edited: no 2.5*) The only reported 2* hotel in that area are the Best Western Grant Park (2*). I'm guessing the Travelodge (old hotel, nice enough area) may also fall under 2*, as well as possibly the Holiday Inn Downtown (decent hotel, not the best area). The Hotel Blake, which used to be a 2.5* may now have been downgraded to 2*, but it has not been reported as such (it could have also gone the other way and become a 3*.)

Again, with Priceline, you could always potentially be upgraded to the next star level.

The BW and the Travelodge are bare basics. The Travelodge has somewhat better a location, but the BW would be a bit nicer.

There is currently a 2* on Hotwire for $117 for your dates. My guess is that it's either the Travelodge or the BW (both show availability), although it could be something else.

If your meeting is in the loop, I'd go with attempting to bid (although I wouldn't go very high at all; maybe $76 as an opening bid) for a 2* in the Loop. *If you don't mind potentially ending up at the Tremont* and the River North/NMA area would be more convenient, I'd bid 2.5* and start at $86. You could also attempt 2* in the loop for $80.

Any questions, let us know.

I tried $115 for a minimum 2* in both River North/NMA and Loop and was rejected. The Tremont appears like a property that is just not worth the money based on the reviews. I also saw the $117 rate on Hotwire and agree that it is probably either the BW or Travelodge (both appear decent, at least relative to the Tremont). Since I was rejected at $115, I think the $117 rate on Hotwire appears like the best I am going to do.

Thanks for all your help.

Sorry it didn't turn out to be the BW. :)

Thank you for reporting your win, though. :)

Still, hopefully this will be a convenient location for you to get to your meeting. The Art Institute and Millennium Park are about 4-5 blocks North on Michigan Ave, if you want to do a bit of sightseeing.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]