Priceline Hotel: 4* NYC (MTE) Grand Hyatt

pt4000
By pt4000,
in

Others with more NYC bidding experience will likely be more helpful than I can be in providing a more detailed bidding strategy. However, based on the rates that I'm seeing, $175 appears to be a reasonable starting bid for a 4* for your dates, and $150 for 3*. The issue you may run into while bidding, if any, is that the first half of your days appear mildly less busy/expensive than the second half. In that case, you may want to consider splitting your time between two nearby hotels.

The first couple of days are pretty decent for NYC, but the second pair (27-29) of days are moderately more expensive. If bidding for all four days doesn't go, *then* you could try to bid lower for the first couple of days and then attempt to bid separately for the second pair of days.

For example, there is a 3.5* hotel on Hotwire for 11/25-27 in Midtown Central for $195 (likely the Hudson). There is also a 3.5* Hotwire listing on those dates for the Times Square area (possibly Millennium Broadway? Not sure. However, the detail page for the listing does note that it has a 4/5 tripadvisor.com rating, which makes it seem fairly promising) for $189. However, for the second pair of days, aside from a somewhat more expensive ($216) listing for the Hudson again, prices are noticably steeper.

Throwing out another idea:

Another option for the first couple of days is the Intercontinental Barclay for $199 via this travelzoo link:

http://hotels.travelzoo.com/new-york-hotels/264908 Otherwise, the Intercontinental would be quite a bit more regular rate.

If you were interested in the Travelzoo Intercontinental deal, you could pair that with the Helmsey Middletowne, which is slightly over your max at $216 via Expedia (on sale), but does offer free breakfast and is just down the street (444 feet, according to google maps) from the Intercontinental (the Intercontinental is 111 East 48th, the Helmsley is 148 East 48th.)

I believe the travelzoo Intercontinental deal for Thanksgiving is sold out (though it isn't mentioned on the site.)

I am not the right person to give bidding strategy, but I would start with 4* only and pick one zone and gradually increase the price by $10 adding a new zone, and then the free re-bid zones, till you get to your maximum.

If that fails, close your browser and start again with the 3* hotels... (but you won't have th e free re-bid zones.)

On affinia.com, a studio suite at the Eastgate Tower is available for your dates for $918 total for all your nights.

Does your Priceline purchase give you the option to extend your stay? While the price difference makes it doubtful that you can extend your stay at the same price, it may be worth trying just to see what the service says.

Otherwise:

What would be the max you can bid? If you want to stick at $200, since you won the first two nights for $160, could you go as high as $240? Additionally, you may not be able to get the same hotel for the second 2 nights.

You may want to start at $195 and then work up from there.

If nothing comes back from Priceline for the additional 2 days, the Helmsley Middletowne (Expedia.com, $216) I mentioned earlier in the thread would be close by the Hyatt.

it appears that the HOTWIRE 3.5* in Midtown Central is now $216 with the following amenities: Restaurant, Fitness, Hi-Speed Internet, Business. There are other 2* properties at a lower cost, but these have not been reported and are generally not recommended.

Katies Mom is spot on, don't stay at the airport. The only reason to stay at the airport is if you have business in the immediate area, like the smell of kerosene, or in the case of LaGuardia, you need some Korean Barbecue.

priceline guarantees accomodations for two, it is not recommened to bid for quad occupancy. HOTWIRE will allow you select up to 4 per room when inquiring about accomodations. Regarding the Hyatt, the current rates through Hyatt.com for your dates of travel are $365/385 per night, so its unlikely that $100 will be accepted.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]