Hotwire Hotel: Girls Trip

farmgirl19
By farmgirl19,
in

Some friends from college and I would like to take a weekend trip to New York if we can do it cheaply enough. We've found airline tickets, but are now looking for a hotel. Another friend of mine recommended this site to help find a cheap hotel. I've been reading some of the posts. We are planning to go Dec. 2-4. When should I start trying to get a room off Hotwire or Priceline? Do I need to wait closer to time to get a good deal?

What do you consider to be a 'good deal'... this is one of the most expensive times in NYC.

What zone(s) are you looking to stay in? What is your minimum star level? How many rooms do you need? (note that priceline only guarantees double occupancy, HOTWIRE allows you to search for up to quad occupancy... see the related link in our PRICELINE FAQ for more info regarding occupancy levels and bedding configurations).

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I would want to stay in the Midtown East or Midtown West zone. From what I've seen so far, I'd be pleased with 250/night or less. Is that reasonable? The star rating doesn't mean much to me. All I want is a bed to sleep in in a good location, planning to be out and about the rest of the time. There are three of us, but when I've put three occupants in one room in the selection, I've come back with no matches. I read the links below, and I'm thinking I might go for one room, and then call to see if they have a two double bed room available.

but when I've put three occupants in one room in the selection, I've come back with no matches. I read the links below, and I'm thinking I might go for one room, and then call to see if they have a two double bed room available.

The fact that you see no offerings on the island of Manhattan when you search for triple occupancy is precisely why we do warn about bidding for only one room for more than double occupancy... it is risky. We have seen problems at all star levels, but at the lower star levels in NYC this is especially true as the rooms get significanly smaller... and many rooms only have one bed and can't accomodate a rollaway bed.

What will you do if you receive a hotel, call them, and they tell you that you're booked in a room with only one bed and they can't/won't change it?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

You can try the above (if it works for your needs) but the Beekman Tower seldom (read: hardly ever) gives EasyClickTravel additional inventory over their pre-contracted allotment :)

However, a 1BR suite is available at the Beekman thru Expedia, although it only shows when searching for 2 adults and not when searching for triple occupancy, although i would think this is the same 1BR suite (with a pull-out couch in the living room) for $372/nite. When searching for 3 adults the Grand Hyatt is also available for $450/nite for a room with two double beds.

Do either of the above work for your needs? Have you checked rates at other properties using our BetterChecker tool? I got the above thru a quick search, and as you can see, there are options available which would be less expensive than 2 rooms on Priceline at $250/room.

Also, 12/2-12/4 isn't the weekend, it's a Saturday thru Monday... are those the correct dates of your stay?

Thanks!! You've helped so much. Those are the correct dates. The plane tickets were a little cheaper going sat-mon than fri-sun and we thought sunday night hotel prices might be a little better than friday night as well. I'll keep checking these websites and running the better checker (that's great by the way), and I'll let you know what I end up with. The Beekman is looking the best right now. Thanks so much for this website, it's a great tool.

They state you will hear back within 48 hours, but reality is more like 72 hours.

If you PM me the details of your stay (either your name, reservation number, or anything else that could be use to identify your request) i'll will see where you are in the queque (and hopefully get you an answer)... however, as i stated above, i'm pretty sure the Beekman rarely gives them additional inventory.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]