Priceline strategy tip: save your counteroffers for later use

cal776
By cal776,
in

Yesterday, I submitted a Priceline bid for a one-night stay in Amsterdam (4*, City Center/Museuem Quarter). My bid of $100 was rejected. Instead, Priceline countered with $114.

With no free rebid zones in Amsterdam, I declined the counter, figuring that I could win my new bid this evening after the 24 hour lockout had expired by meeting Priceline in the middle. Today I bid $107. Rejected again. This time the counter was for $129.

I decided to do some more thorough searching of non-Priceline channels. When I discovered the very limited room availability in Amsterdam for the date of my stay and the high prices for what hotels were available, I gave serious thought to going ahead and giving in to the $129 Priceline counteroffer.

Then I remembered yesterday's e-mail from Priceline informing me that, "We have an answer for you!" I clicked on the link and figured why the heck not try and see if Priceline would still honor yesterday's $114 counteroffer? Sure enought it did. I got the Amsterdam Marriott.

Very interesting development. From my experience, it is possible that Priceline counteroffers are not subject to a limitations period. So save those e-mails and if it seems that rates are headed in the wrong direction, perhaps you can make the most of them by activating an earlier money-saving counteroffer.

• 3 months later...
Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]