Priceline Hotel: 2.5* Parsippany-Morristown (Parsippany-Hanover) Summerfield Suites

biddingforhotel
By biddingforhotel,
in

When I left today around 1pm, I passed by a janitor room and saw this Chinese female staff working very hard on cleaning, I saw her every morning at the wonderful complimentary breakfast around 7am since she and another staff were preparing the great breakfast. Every time I saw her, I felt very touched since she was always working very hard, trying to help provide best service to the customer. For all these years, I never saw her not working busily when I stayed, but this was the first time I saw her working very hard in addtion to preparing breakfast... So I stopped and said hello to her and gave her a tip, telling her that I am leaving and my family got a great time staying here; thanks for wonderful breakfast she prepared always. She was very surprised seeing a $20 tip and asked if we are moving out of state? Then, after some conversation, I was so surprised that she has been working in this great hotel since dozen years we start visiting... She even remembered the days when my kids came with strollers ...etc. :) This great Summerfield is her home, and it is our home too ...

the hotel website mentions that it's a "half hour drive" to New York City, but I'd like to see anyone make it in this time! The Bridges and Tunnels into the city are about 30 miles east of this hotel. The closest NJ Transit station is probably Morris Plains, about 10 minutes away and the trip is an hour and fifteen minutes to Penn Station. You will really need a car to get around in this area.

If you are looking to visit NYC, please post your dates of travel and your budget per night along with your minimum star rating as a NEW TOPIC and we can take a look at some closer alternatives.

Well, believe or not, when I stayed at this hotel every weekend, I was visiting New York City ... Here are some routes I took:

1. If I want to go lower manhattan like Chinatown, South Street Seaport, I would take Fwy 287 S then Rt 24-E then Rt 1 to Staten Island and park the the $6 24 hour parking next to Ferry and take the FREE Ferry over to Battery Park, and walk along Wall St area along Water St to South St Seaport to Chinatown ...etc. This is a great summer route since you will visit many places and has a wonderful view from ferry of Manttan, day view on the way in and night view on the way out. The parking is very safe with security guards and very cheap. Frankly speaking, you can park the car there and take ferry to stay at NYC hotel if you want.

2. If I want to go to World Trade Center area, I would take Fwy 287-S then Rt-24-E then i-78-E all the way to Newport at Jersey City, and park at the Target parking lot FREE and walk two blocks to take PATH to Manhattan. I may also dropby the Newport Mall. I also take this route to Midtown at 33rd St thru PATH next to Courtyard which is one rest stop with nice restroom and NYC info. When arrived 33rd St, end stop, it is right under Manhattan Mall, so you also have food court, restroom, downstairs ...etc. Then, hey, you can walk along Broadway to 42nd Time Square to watch show or just do whatever you want to do. You will see many more people in one hour than in whole month ... I can't tell you where to go as I never plan where to go, and every time I found new fantasy ... but I got ESPN game cards, so I have a good reason to stop there for an hour or two ...

3. If you drive into NYC, that means you are not New Yorker, or not familiar with New York City, but I have found if you want to go to Museum, you may be better just drive all the way into NYC. e.g. I always drive into Natral History Museum where there is parking for member; somehow, museum parking are well worth; they are at great spot and not as expensive. and can walk over to Central Park.

4. There are many other routes that you can drive depending on where you want to go and when the events are. I drove to SUNY at Stony Brook back and forth every weekend and has tried all different routes; I have found driving is not a big deal if you willing to pay some extra toll and know when to drive which route. Even if you drive to place as crowd as Chinatown, if you would just pay $15 parking without hesitation, you will find Chinatown is very easy access right after Holland Tunnel.

5. Another detour route is to drive to Liberty State Park and park your car there and take the Light Weight Rail, very new and nice, this is great during weekdays ...

I know many people moving every year or two depending on where their jobs got in NJ, but their life activities are around New York City. They took train to work at NYC when got a job there, but when they don't, the still take train to NYC during weekend.

So, I have found the best way to get to know New York City is park "far away" then take NJ Transit train, then PATH then Ferry or NYC Subway ... eventually to the interesting point. You will find you learn a lot about the city and the surrounding area ... I have been doing so for many other cities like Philadelphia, Washington DC, Boston, Pittsburgh ...etc, and I found I got real live experience like living in those cities ...

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]