Hotwire Hotel: 2* Chicago (Airport OHare ORD) Extended Stay Elmhurst

ymv1999
By ymv1999,
in

:) Can you suggest bidding strategy for finding a hotel for 9/21-9/26/06 please? My 11 yr old son and I. Going to museums, White Sox game and Brookfield Zoo. His only requirement is a pool. Mine is as cheaply as I can do this. Would like Michigan Ave if possible. Son has finally said O'Hare area is ok. My thinking is O'Hare would be cheaper. You people have come up with great strategies in past for people. I have been watching and learning for several months. Used hotwire before but their prices look pretty expensive yet. Just thought I would ask as I think I can do this cheaper on priceline using the strategy you can help me with. Or if anyone else has a better idea-I am very open to any and all. I just appreciate the help and love your site. Thank you in advance your help!!!

So if a pool is a requirement then you need to use HOTWIRE.

Are there any hotels within your price range when you search for your dates? (from your previous comment i assume there are none in the NMA or Loop zone... but what about ORD?) Do keep in mind that if staying by ORD you can easily get downtown, but the trip will likely get very tiresome for a 5 day trip and depending upon your son's age may seem very long to him)... you'll need to go from hotel to the airport, then train to downtown, then the same upon your return... 'all-in' (including shuttle from hotel to airport) i'd figure on a little more than an hour in each direction.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 3 weeks later...

evanston-Skokie-Niles area 2.5* stay from 9/21-9/26/06 $56 @ night

amenities are: fitness center, pool, restaurant, laundry, tennis nearby.

Does anyone know who this is please? And what would a taxi cost to here from Amtrak please? Does anyone know if Amtrak's large lockers can accomodate a 26" suitcase? I know they cost $12 per day. Thank you so much. Just trying to find place I can afford that has pool and breakfast.

This could *possibly* be the Purple Hotel, which gets largely negative reviews. However, not sure. Taxi from Amtrak to Evanston will likely run you $30 or more, depending on exactly where in Evanston you're going (there's a lot of Evanston and the Evanston/Skokie/Niles zone covers a LOT of ground - I wish Evanston was in its own zone, but oh well.)

Downtown Evanston has a lot of transit options to the city (but I really don't think this is one of the three downtown Evanston hotels), but it becomes a little more complicated - taking the bus a ways (20-30 minutes) to the nearest "L" station and then going downtown from there - from parts of Skokie. Further West and it becomes more problematic. In other words, whlle there are commuting options from the area, it's not the easiest commute downtown and it's a big matter of where you end up in the large Evanston/Niles/Skokie zone.

My alternate suggestion would be a 3* on HOTWIRE in the Northbrook area with the amenities fitness, pool, business, restaurant, laundry, hi-speed internet. $48. This would likely be the Radisson Northbrook. A little further out than the Evanston/Skokie/Niles zone, but there are some benefits. The nearest Metra station is about 2m away in Glenview, but the hotel (if this is in fact the Radisson) does have a shuttle listed on the website. The pool at that hotel *is* outdoor, but it's usually still nice weather-wise (it's actually my favorite time of year in terms of temperature) in September in Chicago. If you want to call the hotel to make sure that the pool will still be open at that time before taking the risk on Hotwire, the number of the hotel from the website; (888) 270-0185. I just emailed the Radisson to ask about the pool. If I get an answer back before the original poster gets a chance to contact the hotel, I'll post the hotel's response here.

The nice thing is that the particular Metra line closest to the Radisson goes downtown to Union Station, which is exactly where the Amtrak comes in, so you wouldn't have to leave the station or take a taxi when you arrive. You would just get a ticket for the Metra and head over to one of the Northbound tracks (there are signs next to the tracks that list which route is next to leave from that track and what stations that train will go to.) On the way out, it'll also be nice to be able to go right to Union Station to catch your Amtrak back.

Plus, taking the Metra each day will be much nicer - they're more comfortable trains and have bathrooms. As thereuare noted, the trip is going to seem long if you're coming in from any of the outlying areas, but at least Metra is a little more comfortable and your son may enjoy the fact that the train has two levels (you can sit on the upper level and look out.) If you want to go to Brookfield, you could take the Metra in from Glenview, then switch to the Metra that heads out to Brookfield, which also goes out of Union. You could even potentially take Amtrak (although it would be more expensive than Metra) to Glenview (it does stop there, as well, although be sure to get off at Glenview, because the next stop isn't for a LONG while), and then shuttle or taxi the remaining distance to the hotel.

Additionally, this is a largely well-reviewed hotel in a very, very nice area.

The other hotwire option is a 4* Northbrook with fitness/pool/restaurant/business. $84. This is likely the Renaissance Northbrook, which gets mixed reviews. Really not around the hotel in terms of stores, but there is a nice pizza place across the street. Getting to the nearest Metra station in Glencoe will require the complimentary shuttle listed on the hotel's website. That particular Metra route will take you to Ogilvie Transit Center, which is about a block from Union Station, where Amtrak arrives/departs. Downtown Glencoe, which is small and about 2 miles from the Renaissance, has two Grocery Stores (one high-end, one general), as well.

The benefit of the Renaissance location is that the Chicago Botanic Garden's "walk-in" South entrance is located within a short walking distance from the hotel. Admission is free. http://chicagobotanic.org/ for information.

While there isn't much around the Renaissance otherwise, it is also in a very nice suburban area.

Also, if you do use Metra, be sure to get a weekend pass for $5 for the Saturday/Sunday you're there. That entitles you to unlimited rides for those two days on Metra.

In terms of Metra, there are trains generally every hour, with more frequency during morning and evening rush. Trains are generally every two hours on Saturday/Sunday.

Metrarail.com for information on Metra.

If you have any questions at all, please post them here and I'll respond as soon as possible.

Additionally, sorry I'm not aware of the locker situation for Amtrak. However, I would contact Amtrak by email or otherwise, as they've been helpful when I've had to contact them in the past.

If you decided to stay at the Radisson, you could still visit the Botanic Gardens, but it would require a taxi - it's about 6-7 miles from the hotel.

Someone else just got a hotel on HOTWIRE (reported in the HW forum) in the Evanston/Niles/Skokie area with the same amenities and star rating - not guaranteeing that you are seeing the same one, but it was the Holiday Inn Skokie. It would not be an entirely optimal location (in my opinion; you do have to take the bus to the nearest "L" station and then go from there) if you're using public transit. Additionally, that hotel doesn't get very good reviews on tripadvisor.

As always, please feel free to post if you have any questions about hotels or getting around the city in general.

• 2 weeks later...

In on 9/21 and out on 9/26. Northbrook area has 2 1/2 star for $55@ night with: comp breakfast, fitness ctr, pool, business ctr, laundry, hi-speed internet acces, kitchen. Any ideas what this is please? Not on list. I am thinking from what I found it is a Staybridge Suites in Glenvew. If this is so-how do you get to public transportation-either matra or CTA from there please? Will not have a car. Thank you.

Not on the list, as you mentioned. However, it could also definitely be potentially something else, such as the Holiday Inn Express on the West part of the Northbrook Zone. It would definitely be a risky buy, as if it is that Holiday Inn (and it very well could be, as it does appear to be a match), that would not be a great location in terms of convienience.

On the other hand, for your dates, the 3* (Northbrook; Restaurant, Pool, Fitness, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Laundry - although the pool is seasonal and closed) showing during 9/21-26 is likely (although not guaranteed) the Radisson Northbrook. The 4* (Fitness/Restaurant/Business/Pool) in Northbrook is likely (not guaranteed) the Renaissance North Shore - that hotel does (at least their website says they do) have a shuttle to the nearby Glencoe train station - you'd take that downtown. There's also a pizza place across the street of the Renaissance (and the Chicago Botanic Garden is on the other side of the highway, in the town of Glencoe), but not much else around it.

As for public transit and the Radisson, you would likely have to shuttle to the nearby Glenview train station or catch a quick cab ride to the nearest station.

Congratulations on your ultimate success!

Glad you found something that will suit your needs.

Can you confirm that there was not a Kitchenette icon (which had previously been associted with this property).

Thank you for using our HOTWIRE link to begin your purchase.

Enjoy your stay.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]