Priceline Hotel: Bidding Assistance 2* 9/16 to 9/21

Vegeta
By Vegeta,
in

Hi! I was just referred to this board, love the concept, and think you guys have done a great job as evidenced by all the good deals ppl have gotten. This is my first post so be gentle. <G>

I've never used Priceline or Hotwire before--I don't even see where you can bid on Hotwire (can you?). But Priceline's where I've started.

I'm looking for a 2* hotel (something along the lines of a Holiday Inn, Days Inn, or Super 8 maybe) in Midtown Manhattan or as close to it as possible. I'd consider farther uptown, Long Island City, or somewhere equally close if that's the only way I can get a good price. It'd be nice to have high speed Internet, but not required. If I'm not in Midtown, easy access to the subway/bus lines is a must.

I'm shooting for $150/night or less, including taxes (so maybe $130 before). Does this seem realistic? Too low/high? I'd like to make reservations soon for peace of mind, though they seem to be much cheaper (but it's also riskier!) if you wait until the last minute. If nothing else, I could shorten my visit by a day (I haven't bought plane tickets yet, but want to do that ASAP for the same reason) and up my price a bit.

Thanks!

Welcome to BetterBidding!

First a warning... are you sure you want to bid on a 2* hotel in NYC? We really dont' see much bidding at this star level because you are buying an opaque product; so while some 2* hotels my suit your needs, other 2* properties may not (and Holiday Inns are more of a 3* property than a 2*). If this is the quality level you want i would sooner look towards non-opaque suppliers such as EasyClickTravel, Quickbook, or hotel-direct (use our BetterChecker for any easy way to search among numerious hotel websites)

With the above said, rates are very high for your dates but if you confirm that a 2* is sufficient for your needs we will suggest a strategy to try (are all NYC zones acceptable?) I also don't think you can 'safely' bid Long Island City and other nearby zones as you can't assure that you'll be close to a subway... your hotel can be anywhere within the shaded region as defined by priceline (and i would be even more leary of a 2* hotels in Queens)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

(Hmmm, I never got an e-mail notification that you replied, and it's been over an hour...)

I picked my * level based on Priceline's descriptions. For 2* it has:

"Moderate Hotels: Priceline's 2 Star hotels are national name brand and quality independent hotels with a reputation for offering a consistent level of quality and amenities. Participating hotels are well-regarded, with high customer satisfaction ratings. These hotels are generally located near major attractions, intersections and casual dining restaurants. Some hotels may offer limited restaurant service within the hotel."

I certainly don't need to pay more for an "Upscale Hotel" (3*) when I don't plan to do more than shower, sleep, and keep my stuff in my room. My last time in New York, I spent one night at a $35/night hostel (a 20 sq ft room w/ plywood walls) and $105/night hostel (w/ no heat, in early April--both places list price), so I imagine 2* will be a pretty good step above that. What about 2* hotels do you think would be so bad? Do you think Priceline's description is pretty optimistic? The reviews on the hotels listed at that level sounded good...

Why would prices be high for those dates? Is it because it includes a Saturday, or is that a popular time of year? If I'm pushing it to get a 2* for my price range, I don't think going to 3* will help unless I want to wait until the last minute; do you think I'd have much chance w/ a 3*?

I briefly checked EasyClickTravel and there were very few choices w/ private rooms below $150/night (one of which used the dubious phrase "budget-conscious" about 10 times in its description--not a good sign). Of course I'd love to go with a non-opaque supplier, but it seems like the quality I'd get in my price range is even worse there than taking my chances on Priceline. Again, I've never done this before, though; do you disagree?

As for NYC zones, anything near public transportation is fine. I'd prefer Midtown (any zone); barring that, elsewhere in Manhattan; barring that, the Brooklyn zone on there has a ton of subway and bus lines nearby (you're right, about half the LIC zone is near public transportation and half of it isn't).

Thanks for the advice!

(Hmmm, I never got an e-mail notification that you replied, and it's been over an hour...)

did you enable email notification of replies?

Also, you mentioned the possibility of staying in Long Island City, which is not convenient; would you also consider staying in Jersey City? Would you consider splitting your bid (with the possibility of changing hotels)?

did you enable email notification of replies?

Yep, I was sure to check that when I signed up. Also, every time I post or reply, it says "You are currently receiving email notification of replies" below.
Also, you mentioned the possibility of staying in Long Island City, which is not convenient; would you also consider staying in Jersey City? Would you consider splitting your bid (with the possibility of changing hotels)?

I hadn't looked into Jersey City. If it's close to the PATH it probably wouldn't be a big deal, but I'd rather stay in New York proper (incl. Brooklyn). And I'd rather not change hotels unless there'd likely be a big benefit to me doing so.

I think it might help if you listed your priorities for this visit and it's purpose.

Do you have to be in Manhattan for the 'big' city feel (and late night partying)?

What about 2* hotels do you think would be so bad?
Value for money and safety.
Do you think Priceline's description is pretty optimistic?
YES!
Why would prices be high for those dates? Is it because it includes a Saturday, or is that a popular time of year
Popular time, maybe a convention in town. Weekends could be cheaper as the business traffic has left, though tourists fill the central hotels.
I hadn't looked into Jersey City. If it's close to the PATH it probably wouldn't be a big deal, but I'd rather stay in New York proper (incl. Brooklyn).
I suggest you look at the Jersey city options to see what's usually available and when.

Topic Notifications:

You are subscribed, but the option you selected ("delayed") will only send you an email notification if you are not active on the board ('active' defined as you clicked someplace on the board within the last 15 minutes). So if you left the board and 10 minutes later this topic has a reply, you're still viewed as 'active' and won't receive an email notification. If you edit your topic preference to "immediate" you will receive an email notifcation regardless if you are 'active' on the board or not.

Star Ratings and Value:

The real value with the opaque suppliers is at the higher star levels. There is much more margin, and room for discounting, in a $200/nite room than in an $80/nite room. This isn't too say that there can't be value at the lower star ratings (as we do see frequent $25 wins for 2* properties... but these are not in NYC). As i mentioned above, while some of the hotels at the lower star ratings may be 'fine', some may not be; since you can't choose which you receive you have to take a "buyer beware" approach. With that said, if you're accustomed to staying at hostels than maybe a 2* would be fine for your needs.

Do you still want to bid for a 2* within any Manhattan zone with a $130 maximum bid? If that is correct we'll suggest a strategy with those parameters, if not let us know what to update and we'll suggest a strategy within your parameters.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I'm going on vacation. As I said, I don't plan to do more than shower, sleep, and keep my stuff in my room. I'm fine w/ a bit of a spartan place.

Mainly I want to be in Midtown just because it'd be cool to stay in a Midtown hotel and I never have. If I can get a decent hotel there for that cheap, awesome. It'd be closer to most stuff I want to do, a ton of good restaurants, etc. If I can't, I'll book the Holiday Inn Express in LIC today for $150/night and be done with it. (It's a couple blocks from the subway, and then a 15 minute ride to Midtown.)

Weekends could be cheaper as the business traffic has left, though tourists fill the central hotels.

At least for non-bid prices, almost every case I've seen is higher for a Saturday night than most weekday nights. I already know weekends are more expensive (again, at least for non-bid standard prices, and I don't know why bidding would be any different in that regard); I was just wondering if there was a particular reason thereuare said those dates would be pricey--why THOSE dates in particular.

Do you still want to bid for a 2* within any Manhattan zone with a $130 maximum bid?

Yes, favoring any of the Midtown zones above uptown/downtown. If you think I have a chance at getting a 3* in Midtown with a $130 max bid this far in advance, then by all means, let's start with that and work our way down.

I would try as follows:

Select 2.5* MTE

Bid $100, if rejected add UM/CPS...

Bid $105, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 2.5* MTW

Bid $105, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 2.5* MTS

Select 2.5* Downtown

Select 2.5* UES

Select 2.5* UWS

Select MTE and MTW and MTS...

Bid $110, if rejected add UM/CPS...

Bid $115, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select Downtown and UES and UWS...

Bid $110, if rejected add UM/CPS...

Bid $115, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select MTE and MTW and MTS and UES...

Bid $120, if rejected add UM/CPS...

Bid $125, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select MTE and MTW and MTS and UWS and Downtown...

Bid $120, if rejected add UM/CPS...

Bid $125, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select all Manhattan zones...

Bid $130.

If the above is rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously...

=====================================================================

Select 2* MTE...

Bid $80 close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 2* MTW...

Select 2* UM/CPS...

Select 2* MTS...

Select 2* UES...

Select 2* UWS...

Select 2* Downtown...

Select 2* MTE and MTW...

Bid $90 close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 2* UM/CPS and MTS...

Select 2* UES and UWS...

Select 2* UES and Downtown...

Select 2* MTE and MTW and UM/CPS...

Bid $100 close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 2* MTS and UES and UWS...

Select 2* MTS and UES and Downtown...

Select 2* MTE and MTW and UM/CPS and MTS...

Bid $110 close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 2* UES and UWS and Downtown...

Bid $110 close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 2* MTE and MTW and UM/CPS and MTS and UES...

Bid $120 close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 2* MTE and MTW and UM/CPS and MTS and UWS...

Select 2* MTE and MTW and UM/CPS and MTS Downtown...

Select 2* MTE and MTW and UM/CPS and MTS and UES and UWS...

Bid $125 close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 2* MTE and MTW and UM/CPS and MTS and UES and Downtown...

Bid $125 close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 2* MTE and MTW and UM/CPS and MTS and UES and UWS and Downtown...

Bid $130

IF all the above failes please use our link to the Holiday Inn Express

Any questions feel free to ask.

Let us know how it goes.

thereuare, first thing I'm doing is following another piece of advice you had--I reserved a fully refundable backup hotel using the link you provided, to make sure I've got at least SOMEWHERE to stay. After I nail down a flight, I'll follow your Priceline advice. One change--I think it's going to be better for me to go for 4 nights rather than 5, though I assume your same bidding advice holds (since it's per-night). Also, as I've never used Priceline before, I assume bids come back within seconds (rather than hours/days)? I'll double-check your entry on re-bidding too.

I'll be sure to let you know how it goes. Thanks again!

first thing I'm doing is following another piece of advice you had--I reserved a fully refundable backup hotel
Where and at what rate? Please also reconfirm your actual dates of travel
If I can't, I'll book the Holiday Inn Express in LIC today for $150/night and be done with it. (It's a couple blocks from the subway, and then a 15 minute ride to Midtown.)
what is the attraction with Long Island City and the HI Express? Is it the cinnamon sweet rolls in the morning? If so, you better be an early riser, because this hotel runs out halfway through breakfast. Half of the rooms face the Long Island Expressway so you might get an early AM wake up call courtesy of the trucks exiting at Greenpoint Ave. After dark, this is not a neighborhood that I might not want to walk through, so caveat emptor! PS add $24 in taxes to your $150 room rate at the HI Express.

at this rate, you'd be much better off in Jersey City

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]