Priceline Hotel: Bidding Assistance NYC 4* or 3* Fri 9/15 - Sun 9/17

Lulu_Jackson
By Lulu_Jackson,
in

I'm meeting my best friend in NYC Friday, Sept 15 - 17. We are interested in getting a 4* or 3* hotel in the "Upper Midtown - Central Park South" or "Midtown East" areas. We would be fine with getting the Hudson Hotel which is a 3* in the Upper Midtown - Central Park South area. If we could get the Hudson or even a better place in one of those areas we'd be thrilled.

Any advice on bidding to achieve this? My friend has stayed at the Hudson and likes it. Of course we'd like to pay around $130 or something close to that, which may be hard to do. She used Priceline a while back and paid $130 for the Hudson.

We will be meeting each other at Penn Station on Friday.

I'm a photographer, so we'll be roaming the city on our trip taking pictures and maybe going to the MOMA or similar places. We are open to other hotels besides the Hudson, but basically want a clean place that isn't too sketchy since we'll be traveling alone and will be coming in late from dinner at night. If it was trendy/artsy like the Hudson Hotel that would of course be a bonus to us.

Any advice or suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Lulu

As you eluded, $130 or better may be very difficult for these dates... i understand that "cheaper is better", but what is your maximum bid?

Is there a reason you're avoiding the MTW zone? What about the MTS zone? Since rates are high for these dates adding these other zones will give you more bidding opportunities as well as increase your chances for getting an offer accepted at the lowest prossible price. Almost all of the hotels in these zones are close to mass transit and/or subways, but as i don't know your specific plans, don't know if these other zones will work for you needs or not.

Let us know the answers to the above and we'll suggest a strategy to follow.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

We will suggest a strategy which slowly increases in price and makes sure that you don't overbid.

Have you booked a back-up reservation? If so, where and how much? If not, it sounds as if you've at least researched rates for these dates... what is the best deal you could find if the 'opaque suppliers' don't come thru for you?

Let us know how high you are currently willing to bid and we will suggest a strategy to try which goes up to that amount.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I'll also note that you seem to be (maybe subconsciously) assuming that the Hudson Hotel is the only possibility for 3* in UM/CPS and MTE. That's certainly not true. Have you looked at the PRICELINE HOTELS REPORTED LIST for New York? That will show other hotels reported -- tho obviously it's a potentially incomplete list so there could be many other possibilities too.

You were already willing to bid 3* in those zones given that risk, so how does that change if you add MTW and MTS?

If you are concerned about getting a 3* that is not the Hudson, you should consider only bidding 4* -- which then makes it much less likely you'll win your bid.

We would like our maximum to be $180. I did look at the list, not realizing it may be incomplete. The other 3* hotel was Park Central and I had read so-so reviews so felt comfortable taking a risk between it and the Hudson even if they were 3* and not 4*. I haven't researched the 3* hotels in the other zones and wasn't confident on bidding 3* for those zones. Now I suppose it's the same deal for the Hudson's zone if that list isn't complete.

Lulu

Just a simple misunderstanding. The list here is only a list of reported hotels. Since there are many more bids at 4* than 3*, the 4* list tends to be more complete. Again, any hotel rated by priceline 3* is a possibility at 3*. Similarly, any rated at 4* is a possibility at 4*. This can include the hotels they show in the first direct booking screen, but also often includes hotels not on that list, and can even occasionally include hotels that are sold out. There really is no way to know what hotel you'll get -- only the quality priceline has assessed.

Now that we have maximum bid, let us know if you want both 3* and 4* or only 4* (sounds like only 4*). Then thereuare can show you a bidding strategy. :)

Your maximum bid is not likely enough for a 4* in NYC on these dates. If you'd like to try anyway...

When bidding 4* in NYC you have two re-bid zones available. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* MTE...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTW...

Bid $140, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* UM/CPS...

Select 4* MTS...

Select 4* MTE and MTW...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $155, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* UM/CPS and MTS...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $155, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTE and UM/CPS...

Bid $160, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $165, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $170, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTW and MTS...

Bid $160, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $165, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $170, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTE and MTS...

Bid $173, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $177, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $180, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTW and UM/CPS...

Bid $173, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $177, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $180.

Any questions feel free to ask.

If the above is rejected let us know if you want to wait it out, raise your maximum bid, or lower your star rating.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]