Priceline Hotel: 10/19-10/23 3*/4* All Areas

gaucho
By gaucho,
in

Hello everybody!

It's my first time with Priceline and I'm trying to find a bargain for Oct 19th-23rd, but it seems to be quite impossible.

Cheapest rates I could find in Hotwire are:

$261 for a 3* in Times Square-Theatre District (Boutique Hotel, Restaurant(s), High-Speed Internet, Fitness Center, Business Center)

$246 for a 3* in MTS (Restaurant only)

$330 for a 4* in MTC (Customer Favorite, Fitness Center, Spa Services, Restaurant, High-Speed Internet).

I'm willing to pay a maximum of $200 for a 3*, $260 for a 4*. But since I have two months to go, I'm not in a hurry.

Here's what I've tried (and failed) in Priceline today:

4* MTW: $140, $150, $160

4* MTE: $140, $150, $160

4* UM/CPS: $140, $150, $160

4* MTS: $140, $150, $160

4* DT/SOHO: $140, $150, $160

4* MTW + MTE: $165, $170, $175

4* MTW + UM/CPS: $165, $170, $175

4* MTW + DT/SOHO: $165, $170, $175

4* MTW + MTS: $165, $170, $175

4* MTW + MTE + UM/CPS: $190, $200

4* ALL ZONES: $ 210

3* MTE: $130, $140

3* MTW: $130, $140

3* UM/CPS: $130, $140

3* MTS: $130, $140

3* UES: $130, $140

3* DT/SOHO: $130, $140

3* MTE + MTW: $145, $150

3* MTE + UM/CPS: $145, $150

3* MTE + MTS: $145, $150

3* MTE + UES: $145, $150

3* MTE + DT/SOHO: $145, $150

3* MTE+MTW+UM/CPS: $160, $170

3* DT/SOHO+MTS+UES: $160, $170

3* ALL ZONES: $185

All bids rejected. The last one took longer to process.. A message saying they were still "working on it" came up... but after a couple of minutes it was rejected.

My plan is to keep trying the same strategy adding $10 every day for the next days... Let's see if I'll be luckier next time.

Regards,

Rodrigo.

Is SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID an option?

As a back-up you may want to consider the Envoy Club (reviews) or the Eastgate Tower (reviews) which are available thru Quikbook for $225/nite and $250/nite respectively.

I don't know much about the Envoy Club, but the Eastgate is run by the Affinia group who 'knows how to do it right'. I wouldn't expect the lap of luxury, but the room should be clean and more than adequate (also has a full kitchen... well, full by NYC standards :) ). Both are available as "Book Now Pay Later" rates so they're cancellable if you later have success with the opaque suppliers or something better comes along.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I'd prefer not to split by bid... Changing hotels with a lot of bags (my wife just can't stop shopping) is never very pleaseant.

I already have two backups: Murray Hill Inn Suites for $229 and the Marriott at Brooklyn Bridge also for $229 (one option for comfort, one for location.. can't decide what's more important!).

But I got a little bit scared after looking at some reviews of the Murray Hill Inn.. I guess I'll take your advice and book at the Eastgate Tower... seems to be a better option. Or maybe the "On the Ave" in UWS for $269..

Anyway I'm still hopeful to get a reasonable deal with priceline in the next days.. I'll post the results here.. Just hope they'll be able to charge my credit card if I'm successful, since I have a billing address in Switzerland...

Thanks a lot for your help! I didn't know the Quikbook site before.. The "Book Now Pay Later" option is great!

We've seen prices in NYC (and elsewhere) gradually increasing, both opaque and non-opaque, as the hotel business (ie- occupancy levels) has been getting stronger.

So while Fall is the beginning of high season (and summer is low season), high rates are not unusual for this time of year, although we are seeing higher prices than last year for this time (due to the pick-up in hotel business mentioned above)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Unfortunately is the Murray Hill Inn at 143 East 30th Street :) Is it really that bad? I guess I'll book another hotel as a backup... The reviews on Tripadvisor were also not so good for the Murray Hill Inn...

Can you help me identify the two 3* I was offered in Hotwire? They are still available...

$261 for a 3* in Times Square-Theatre District (Boutique Hotel, Restaurant(s), High-Speed Internet, Fitness Center, Business Center) "A decade-long cleanup revitalized this central Manhattan neighborhood, but prices remain relatively affordable. "

$257 for a 3* in MTS (Restaurant only). Rate increased from $246 to $257.

Thanks!!!

Did you happen to notice the pinned list at the top of the New York forum? It lists hotwire and priceline hotels... and the Times Square one matches the Paramount.... not certain about the other...

The thing about purchasing now on hotwire is what you get will not be your back up...whereas if you book something directly that is fully cancellable and refundable you can still shop around.

The Paramount has super tiny rooms...not what i would necessarily want but if I were traveling solo I would be okay with it...but that price is sooo high... I think I would book something else, even the Murray Hill Inn if it is cancellable without penalty and keep hunting...but that is me.

KatiesMom: Thanks a lot for your tip! But the rate of $199 is valid only until thr 10th of September.. For October they're increasing the rate to $289:

"You can also visit in October and receive the same package for $289 per night. This is an excellent savings as room rates in New York during the fall climb to over $350 per night!"

If anyone is interested, the promotion finishes today:

"You can also call the Paramount Hotel directly at 212-764-5500 and mention the Travelzoo special. Book by August 25."

It's cancellable until 24h before check-in, so I booked it. The deluxe room seems to be a little bit less tiny than the normal rooms and with $25 credit for food and drinks it's a good deal. The reviews in TripAdvisor are not so good, but I always had a good experience in Sol Melia's hotels...

Now I have all the backups I need and enough time to keep trying with Priceline...

Sure, I'll post my results here! I'll try again later today, adding $10 to my original bids...

In the city name I put "Zug, SWITZERLAND" with capital letters, added a zero to my zip code in order to have 5 digits "06300"... Unfortunately there's no state with "CH" as abbreviation, so I selected California...

I'm not sure if it'll be accepted.. If not, I'll try priceline.co.uk..

Spent another hour in Priceline today (via Savingsbarn.com) with no luck. I've tried..

- NYC 4*, All areas, every possible combination, from $150 to $225

- NYC 3*, All areas, every possible combination, from $140 to $190

- Brooklyn 3* $100-$110

- Jersey City 3* $100-$110

NADA! I'll wait until next monday and retry adding another $10 to the 4* hotels..

Have a nice weekend everybody! Hope you'll be luckier than me in your bids...

Another waste of time... My bids today:

- NYC 4*, All areas, from $160 to $240

- NYC 3*, All areas, from $150 to $195

- Brooklyn 3* $110-$120

- Jersey City 3* $110-$120

- NYC 2.5*, All areas, from $110 to $150 (!)

Hummm... Looks like I won't get anything cheaper than that... I guess I'll wait until a week before travelling and hope for a last minute deal. Meanwhile I'll keep my eye on Hotwire and Travelaxe...

One thing you want to avoid, tho, is overbidding. Clearly it appears there is no inventory loaded yet. But if you wait until the week before, be careful you don't pick up bidding where you left off. Allow yourself enough time to slowly ramp up your bids again.

Also, watching hotwire rates is a good idea. Lower hotwire rates are a moderately strong indicator of lower priceline rates, much of the time.

Good luck!

Hi, I feel your frustration as I am also trying to book a hotel using priceline for that weekend (3*/4*, max $175/night).. with no luck! As a backup i have booked the Oxbridge Apartments (Theater District) for $135/night, but they require a 35 day advance notice for cancellations and this window is closing fast. I probably will not be able to find anything on Priceline or Hotwire in time.

I am wondering if anyone else has stayed at this hotel? the reviews were pretty mixed, with more being on the not so good side :) unless I am able to book something in Priceline/Hotwire within the next week.. i guess im stuck with the Oxbridge.

im hoping for a miracle at this point!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]