Priceline Hotel: 4* Philadelphia (Downtown) Hyatt Regency Penns Landing

Lynde
By Lynde,
in

I'm new to your site and name-your-own-price booking options. I've been reading various posts and found a lot of useful information on your site - thank you! Can you assist with a bidding strategy for the following trip?

Destination - Downtown Philadelphia, PA (Rittenhouse Square or Old City area preferred)

Hotel star rating: 4

Dates: 8/30/06 - 9/1/06

Price goal: I've seen some rates for the Hyatt Regency Penn's Landing hotel for about $150. The star rating is important enough that I'm willing to pay $150, but I'd really prefer to pay in the $70-$100 range / night.

Any suggestions are appreciated, thank you!

You can't target a specific area within the zone... your hotel can be anywhere within the shaded boundaries of the zone.

When bidding 4* in Philadelphia you have seven re-bid zones available. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* Downtown...

Bid $55, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $60, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $65, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $70, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $75, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $80, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $85, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $90.

I would begin with the above, if rejected don't get discouraged... we're lowballing since you have plenty of time. Just post back as to your success or failure and we'll revise accordingly.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

After 24 hours from your previously rejected bidi would try:

Select 4* Downtown...

Bid $80, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $95, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $100, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $105, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $110, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $115, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Okay, tried again this morning. I goofed and didn't bid $95 directly after the $80 failed.

4* downtown

80 - failed, rebid zone

85 - failed, rebid zone

90 - failed, rebid zone

95 - failed, rebid zone

100 - failed, rebid zone

105 - failed, rebid zone

115 - failed, rebid zone

120 - failed

Should I wait another day (or more) and try again? I'm really set on keeping the 4*.

* This time I remembered to use savingsbarn.com link! :)

No backup reservation yet - sounds like maybe time to do so. The Hyatt at Penn's Landing has an online rate of $169, cancellable by 3pm EST 24 Hours prior to arrival. I suppose I'm willing to pay this if it comes down to it.

3*? Really would prefer 4* and only go down to 3* if absolutely necessary (ie no 4* availability, price increases too much).

The full story...

My boyfriend and I are flying into Philly with his son to take him to Penn State. We're flying in on Friday, August 25th to spend 3 nights in Philly, drive son to Penn State & stay for two nights, then boyfriend and I will return to Philly for 2 nights before flying home.

I'm a google/research freak - always looking to find the better, cheaper, deal. I drive myself crazy sometimes :) I stumbled on to this site and really got excited. Wow - people are sharing awesome information and getting AMAZING deals out there and I was totally in the dark. Anyway, I thought I'd "test the waters" by starting with booking just the last two nights of the trip - just the boyfriend and I :) in a nice hotel.

The airfare, car, and hotel in Penn State are booked (prior to discovering this site and getting ideas). Now I'm trying to get the hotel booked for downtown Philly the first three nights with the son, and the last two nights just the two of us. I think I could live with a 3* the first nights, but really want the 4* for the last nights. I like that the 4* hotels in downtown are in locations I like. The 3*, however, leaves us open to staying in a lot wider range of places. This may not be a big deal. I've never been to Philly and maybe there aren't any "bad" locations?

Thanks for the tips and any more are welcome!

first of all, I want to assure you that being a Penn State fan will not affect the advice offered by thereuare :)

I might book a cancellable backup and wait to see if any of the 4*'s release any inventory.

PS, don't be fooled by a PSU student when asked about homework, if he replies that he's doing a "Case Study" that means that he's going to the Rathskeller along with his friends to pound a "case" of Rolling Rock ponies, $20 for the case, bottle opener not included :)

If you're going to book the Hyatt as a back-up please use our Hyatt link to begin your reservation.

For the 3*, if location is important (and/or your trying to avoid a specific property) you can also check out HOTWIRE. They divide this zone into smaller areas and you may be able to target, indentify, or avoid certain properties.

If you would like help with the other nites of your stay please start a NEW TOPIC for those dates.

Thanks.

When I go to Hotwire - whether through the betterbidding link or directly to the site - Internet Explorer crashes. I'm searching for a hotel in Philadelphia and get to the point of selecting the areas to include in the search. Once I select the "Find hotel deals" button, I get an error "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." Rebooting doesn't resolve the issue. I just cannot seem to get past this point. Has anyone else experience this issue and know of a fix or suggestion to try?

Have you tried 'repairing' Internet Explorer:

START>>CONTROL PANEL>>ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS>>select Internet Explorer>>REMOVE>>REPAIR

IE can be quite buggy at times (i have my own problems with some sites) and i recommend having a 'back-up' browser on any system. Download a copy of Mozilla Firefox (free), don't set it as your default browser if you want to keep IE as your everyday browser, but you can lauch Firefox whenever you encounter a problem such as you are above.

As they each have their own 'internals', so please make sure use our HOTWIRE link from the one you intend to use for your purchase.

• 2 weeks later...

Bid won on 8/8/06 for stay 8/30/06-9/1/06

I tried on MANY occasions to bid for this stay. I wasn't willing to change my 4* preference and I had to be downtown. I tried several times from about $75 going up in $5 increments and stuck to my max of $100. After several days of failed bids and not wanting to budge from 4*, I slowly krept my bids higher and eventually got my bid at $130.

$130 x 2 nights + taxes/fees = $307.64

Hyatt Regency Philadelphia at Penn's Landing

201 S Columbus Boulevard

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19106

215-928-1234

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]