Hotwire Hotel: 4* Newark (Jersey City) Hyatt Regency on the Hudson

kdecker
By kdecker,
in

I have decided to visit NYC for 5 nights, Aug 30 - Sept 4. Hotwire is giving me a 4* in Hoboken-Jersey City, which I'm assuming is the Hyatt which is where I want to stay, for $111. Should I try Priceline and try to get for $65? Would rather not stay at the Doubletree. I have read several other previous threads of people stating to stay under $75 to avoid the Doubletree, how is this? What would my best bidding strategy be? Looks like I'd be pretty safe in avoiding the Doubletree since almost 100% of the users have been getting the Hyatt on the Hudson. Any help would be appreciated. Would like to book this afternoon if possible.

Is this in addition to, or replace, your previous request for help for New York City?

There have been no recent wins for the Doubletree at under $70, so that is why some try for the Hyatt at under this amount... but there are no guarantees, you could be the first to report a recent win at such a low amount. (and i'd disagree with "like I'd be pretty safe in avoiding the Doubletree since almost 100% of the users have been getting the Hyatt on the Hudson")

It comes down to: Is it work an extra $35/nite to stay at they Hyatt over the Doubletree? If so then take the hotwire offer, if not, then try to beat the hotwire offer via priceline. If you want to try Priceline let us know your maximum bid and we'll suggest a strategy to follow.

If you choose to go with Hotwire please use this HOTWIRE link to begin any purchases.

Let us know how it goes or how we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

You are right, this is in lieu of the other thread I started, had a change of plans. Thanks so much for your suggestions. I decided to grab the $111 rate through your link on Hotwire. Sounds like a fairly decent price for this hotel, because of the good reviews and the location and view are a plus. I will be flying into JFK and would like information on getting to the hotel. Last time we were in town in 2004 we took a car service to Manhattan. I would like to try to get there using the subway, but am not sure what route to take, or how feasible this is. If it was easy seems like everyone would be doing it. Can you suggest a way to get there via subway? Do I need to take a bus partway? Is it going to be difficult with luggage?

Glad it went as expected and you are happy with the results. In regards to the commute from JFK:

How much luggage?

You'd need to (i think, as i've never done it) take the Airtrain to the A train. Then either take the A train to:

1) Fulton St.-Broadway-Nassau stop and walk to the PATH Train at the WTC

or

2) Take the A train to Canal Street where you then take the E Train (back in the direction you just came) to the WTC stop where you would then take the PATH train to Exchange Place (Jersey City)

If you decide to take a taxi take a taxi to the WTC Path station and then take the PATH to Exchange Place... much cheaper than taking a taxi from JFK to Jersey City with only a slight inconvenience.

PS- thanks for using our HOTWIRE link :)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I would like to try to get there using the subway, but am not sure what route to take, or how feasible this is. If it was easy seems like everyone would be doing it. Can you suggest a way to get there via subway? Do I need to take a bus partway? Is it going to be difficult with luggage?

I did this journey from the Hyatt to JFK last time we visited (July 2005)

Info on the Airtrain.

Subway map

We took the Path to WTC,

The E subway to Canal ST,

The A subway to Howard Beach/JFK Airport Station

We each had a suitcase with wheels which is handy as there is some longish walking between the airport to Airtrain and then inside WTC to PATH and I think, inside Exchange Place PATH to the outside.

PATH has elevators and escaltors, though the elevator wasn't working at the WTC so I had to carry the bags up 25 stairs :) so keep that in mind!

Airtrain itself is quite large inside (no seats if I remember) and easy to get on\off.

I think it's a 15 minute ride to the terminals.

Transfer from Airtrain to subway involves an elevator if you have luggage as the escalators are blocked for luggage.

Only problem we had was at WTC A subway the barrier was a full sized turnstile which wouldn't take our bags. We had to use the wheel chair access gate.

Supposedly the quickest route is

Take the Airtrain to Sutphin Boulevard/ Archer Avenue/JFK Airport connection

Take the E subway all the way to WTC.

Then PATH to Exchange place.

I probably wouldn't do the journey during rush hour as the subway isn't really made for suitcases and the journey time is about 1hr I think.

The pro of this is the cost,

Airtrain $5

Subway $2.00

PATH $1.50

Con

Takes about 1.5 hours

Thanks to both of you for your help and specific directions. I think we'll try the Airtrain/Subway/PATH option on the way in, if it's do-able, again on the way out simply because of the savings compared to other transportation. Also, last time we were in town we didn't try a Steakhouse (unless you consider Gramercy Tavern). Any recommendations? We were thinking about Peter Lugers, heard the steak is good, service and ambience bad, or Delmonicos. Any other suggestions? Also went to Lombardi's, Johns of Bleeker St, Grays Papaya, Stage Deli, this time will add Grimaldis, Mesa Grill, and possible Bridge Cafe to the list. Any other musts?

Some claim Lugers to be the best steak they've ever had, but Delmonicos is excellent too (i've never eaten inhouse, but recently had some 'leftovers' from there and the steak was still great).

If you look at the NEW YORK LISTS and TIPS a few of use have written "local things to do" threads, and here is my own NYC THINGS TO DO.

We also just launched ThingsToDo411.com where you will find an interative NYC map and events/attractions plotted throughout.

Just to update the subway option from\to JFK as I did the journey on Sunday 28th August 2006.

Airtrain has seats :)

E subway takes 45 mins to 1 hour, no need to change it stops at WTC.

The whole journey from hotel lobby to airport checkin took me 1hr 20 mins. We didn't really have to wait for any train.

As I said earlier there is walking between stations etc so be aware of this.

If you plan on visiting MOMA then Friday nights (16:00-20:00) are FREE

It was chaos and a HUGE line at 16:30 though, no line at about 18:00 when we left.

Do NOT take any large handbag\backpack as you have to check these, though 'security' was very variable.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]