England London Airports Marriott Heathrow Airport

actraveler
By actraveler,
in

I had gone to London for 2 nights and because of an early departure from London, I decided to stay by Heathrow and commute to downtown by tube (subway).

For the first 2 nights, I stayed at the Sheraton Skyline which is literally right next door to the LHR Mariott. When I decided to extend my stay for a 3rd night, the Sheraton offered me an extention at GBP79+tax which I declined and found the first internet cafe I could find in London.

I went back to Priceline and instead of "extending" my current bid at $69, I lowered it to $58 and received the LHR Marriott.

Here is a fine example of "You can't judge a book by its cover". Don't get me wrong, the Marriott has a beautiful, modern, sleek exterior and your first inside view is of a marvelous and modern 4 story glass and wood atrium. It was huge.

I arrived at about noon and was given a room assignment immediately with no mention of Priceline. I was addressed by name and even was asked for both my Marriott Rewards number and Delta Skymiles number.

I was directed to room 3044. I forgot to ask for a room in near proximity to the elevators, and realized my mistake as I walked and walked and walked to my room which was at the extreme opposite end of the hotel.

My immediate first impression of the room met my expectaions for a Marriott- a little more upscale that a Sheraton or Hilton, but the room was worn. If I had not just stayed next door at the nicer Sheraton for 2 nights, it would have been fine, but I was a little disappointed.

The room was decorated in beige and white. There was a 25" TV, dual phones, internet hook-up, tea/coffee maker and supplies, a large and bright bathroom of tlle and granite, a trouser press, iron, and ironing board as well. Standard toiletries. A queen bed was in the room filled with oversize pillows and a white comforter. The bed and overstuffed comforter was actually quite comfortable. There was also a sitting area with a small round table with 2 tub chairs.

For transportation from the airport, 95% of the local busses run on Bath Road toward the hotel, and by ordinance, the busses are free around Heathrow- kind of like a free shuttle. The bus stop is literally in front of the Marriott. When you pass the McDonald's, press the stop button (McDonald's came in handy for a late night snack or for a quick and inexpensive drink- about 2 blocks from the hotel- safe to walk at all hours).

For return to the airport (Terminals 1,2,3), you have to walk about 3 blocks and cross Bath Road for the return bus. If you are going to Terminal 4, you can use the bus stop in front of the hotel where the 285, 555, 556, 557 can take you for free.

If you are going to Terminals 1,2,3 and you have bulky or heavy baggage, then your best bet for convenience is the Hotel Hoppa for 4 pounds (US$7.50pp ripoff but if you have baggage, what can you do?). It stops at the hotel front door and takes you directly to the terminal instead of the free busses which takes you only to the Heathrow Bus Terminal- which then requires a lengthy underground walk to the terminals.

If you are going to downtown, take the 285, 555, 556, 557 from the front of the hotel for free to the Hatton Cross tube station where you pick-up the Piccadilly Line to downtown. On weekdays after 0930 and all day weekends, buy the Zones 1-6 One-Day Off-Peak Travelcard for GBP6.30 (US$12.00) which will give you a roundtrip to downtown, and all the bus and tube rides you need all day around London. Hatton Cross id the first stop for the tube coming out of Heathrow.

When returning to the hotel, stay on to Heathrow then go upstairs to the Bus Terminal to catch your bus back to the hotel. This way the stop is in front of the Mariott. If you get off at Hatton Cross, the free bus drops you on the other side of the street 3 blocks away.

This hotel is a PHENOMENAL value for the money paid if you catch it on Priceline!

• 1 year later...

Fantastic review, acetraveler.

I can only add a few things after my one night stay over the weekend.

My room was in good shape, did not seem 'tired' (maybe the improved things a bit since the last review).

I also ended up with a room far away from the elevator, not a big deal for me.

Took the Hoppa bus rippoff to go, used the free 'red bus' to come back. I found a bus stop pretty much on the same block, across the street from the Sheraton next door. Busses 285, 101, 111...take you to terminals 1,2,3 which is what I needed.

The only thing to add is that there is a night bus N9 which runs from downtown (Piccadilly circus...) to Heathrow and stops in front of the hotel. Although I did not try it, this is likely the only cheap option for those who want to go to a show and need to get back before the tube stops....

• 9 months later...

We stayed at this Marriot June 2008 and found the rooms in excellent condition. They must have remodeled them recently. Bed and linens were top quaility with coffee maker in room. (two things I really appreciate) The staff was extremely friendly and no mention of priceline at check in. Costa Coffee shop on site was good and prices were in line with Starbucks. We were told of a near by pub that was within walking distance even though there were restaurants in the hotel. Also, there was a nearby MacDonalds that we walked over too for some ice-cream. We called to arrange for an early morning taxi (5:30 AM) and when we went downstairs it was waiting. It was a flat rate of 14.40 pounds to terminal 4. I would like to post some pictures I took of the room, but not sure how to upload them on the "hotel photo" tab. Do I have to register there separate from Better Bidding?

Cheryl

EDIT by THEREUARE: yes, Real Hotel Photos.com requires separate registration... for now, it's a big project on the list of things to do, but we expect some positive changes coming in the <not so near> future over there :)

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]