Hotwire Hotel: 4* Boston (Quincy Market-Financial District) Hilton Financial

dwaink
By dwaink,
in

I need help with a bidding strategy for Downtown Boston. I would like to be as close to Fannuel Hall as possible. I would like a 4 star room for the night of Sun. Oct. 8th.

In my research I became a little confused by star ratings. Hotwire has ratings up to a five star hotel but Priceline only goes to a 4 star property. Can anyone explain the difference?

Hotwire had one 4 star hotel available for purchase at $112.00. Judging by amenities propably Hilton Financial. This seemed to be too good to be true as all other 4 star properties offered on Hotwire averaged about $275/night. Is there something wrong with this property? Hotwire prices for 5 star properties average about $400/night.

Bidding strategy:

There appears to be three free rebids by combining with South Boston, Medford Somerville, and Brighton Brookline Zones? I am having a difficult time knowing what price to start with? Do I start with a certain percentage below what is available? Would you suggest reserving the $112 property as a backup? Is there a strategy for bidding the better properties within this zone?

Any help would be appreeciated. Thankyou

In answer to your general question:

Most of us would agree that hotwire, on average, rates a hotel 1/2 to 1 star level higher than priceline.

The ratings are pretty subjective. If you dig deep enough, on both sites, you'll find the general criteria they use. It may be more helpful to use the lists here of hotels that have been won on each service to get a better feeling for what to expect. (Obviously, what others have won is no guarantee of what you'll win.)

Note that a hotwire purchase can not be used as a true backup, because it can NOT be cancelled. So if you book on hotwire, it's yours. No changes can be made. Same with priceline.

Good luck!

If you list the amenities that HOTWIRE is showing for the property we can try to confirm that it is likely the Hilton. From there you can decide to take that offer or try to beat it via priceline. If you want to go the priceline route let us know your maximum bid and we'll suggest a strategy for you to follow.

HOTWIRE has adjusted many of their star ratings since their inception and i think their star ratings are now usually "the same or half a star" difference (the exception being when hotwire rates a hotel 5* and Priceline doesn't... as priceline has no 4.5* rating in their system, so in these instances the star rating could be as much as one star).

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thank you both for all of the information!

Amenities listed on hotwire: Fitness Center, Bisiness Center, Restaurant.

My maximum bid for the one night would be around $150.00.

I might be willing to go a little more if I knew it were a nicer hotel.

Out of curiosity, is there an indirect coorelation to prices offered on Hotwire and winning bid prices on Priceline?

The HOTWIRE hotel you mention above is a match for the Hilton Financial so that would be our best guess.

Before suggesting a priceline strategy i'm unclear on something... if this hotel (which is in Priceline's Downtown zone) is selling for $112/nite, why would you be willing to bid as high as $150 on Priceline? Would you cap your bidding at no more than $112?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I'm obviously a newby here. :) When I did my research I didn't find any 4 star hotels for less than $240.00 with the exception of the Hilton Financial for $112. I was thinking that this was a mistake and thought I would have to bid much higher to get a 4 star or better.

I think what you are suggesting is to bid with a cap of $112 and I could possibly get this hotel or another for less than that amount?

Where do you suggest I start?

If the $112 hotel is still showing on HOTWIRE then it should be assumed that it is available at that price (there are rare circumstances where you'll ultimately try to book it and will get an "that offer is no longer available" but that is the exception and not the rule).

So if you bid on Priceline up to $110 and are rejected, then you can simply stop bidding and take the $112 offer thru HOTWIRE (thru our link of course :) )

Does the above make sense or am i missing something?

Let us know if the $112 offer is still avaiable on hotwire, we'll then suggest a stragey which stops at $110 so that you can get started; if it's no longer avaialble, then we'll go higher than that.

Three re-bid zones available at the 4 star level.

Select 4* Downtown...

Bid $85, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $90, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select Downtown and re-bid zone2...

Bid $95, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $100, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select Downtown and re-bid zone3...

Bid $105, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $110, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select Downtown and re-bid zone2 and re-bid zone3...

Bid $114.

Any questions feel free to ask.

If the above is rejected then take the HOTWIRE offer.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]