Priceline Hotel: 4* NYC MTW Hilton NY Towers

kawoh
By kawoh,
in

Hi,

I'm looking for a 3* or 4* in MTE or a 4* in MTW over 16 Dec - 1 Jan, on specific dates I find the hotel site rates vary, and can go as high as $300/night on a 4* MTW. However, if I do it over the full 16 nights, I get $229/night, is this a fare guide to use (ie the $229 over the extended period) when determining how much you should bid on PL?

If $229 is what it should be, what should I bid for:

4* MTW = $

3* MTE = $?

I'm unsure which strategy to employ, but I'd rather not move hotels.

My ideal result would be

2.5* Courtyard Marriott MTE for US$55-65 a night (happy to go up to $75/night if I can get $10 bonus money - but that's only for 5 nights?). Though I did some research, someone bidded $70 over a period within my date range and was 'upgraded' to the Marriott MTE rather than the Courtyard. Perhaps the 2.5* Courtyard isn't coming up over this period full stop? Though, i'm happy to go up to $70-75 for a 3* MTE over the period.

4* MTW Hilton NY would be nice for US$85-95 a night ($95 if I get my $10 bonus money?). I'm considering my options but I saw, on TOBB someone got 21 dec - 26 dec for US$100/night for this property and someone got US$95/night... So should I perhaps lock this in.. and then find somewhere 16-21 Dec? and 26 dec - 1 jan? The 26 dec - 1 Jan rates are very very high over this period (up by 30% on the 21-26 dec period...)

It's not appropriate to average the prices over your stay as Priceline requires your bid to be sufficient for each nite of your stay, as discussed in this post: Should I Split My (Longer Stay) Bid?

I don't fully understand your ideal scenario. You begin by saying you'd like a 3* or 4* hotel but then say that you're ideal situation is the 2.5* Courtyard.

Please clarify and we'll proceed to supply a suggested strategy.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

(moved here for continuity)

I saw in another thread a user was showing a 3* MTE in Hotwire and then ended up purchasing on Priceline and recevied the Marriott MTE... does this mean the Hotwire offering was also the Marriottit? A 3* is coming up at $114 or so a night over 16 dec - 1 jan for me... would like to know what property this is on Hotwire...

In most areas there is more than one hotel at each quality level in each zone (although Hotwire will only show one hotel at each qulaity level per zone in each search). To try to figure out the Hotwire hotels before purchasing we try to match up the zone, star rating, and all the amenities shown with those in our Hotwire Hotel List.

I think you need to back-up a little bit and determine exaclty what it is you want and how much you want to spend. For example, in your prior post you say that you'd rather not split the bid and only want bid up to $95... but then mention somebody else that won at $100 and maybe you should lock that in now (ie- how can you win at $100 if you only want to bid up to $95?). It's just hard to give a strategy when there are such contradictions.

Does your SPG freebie expire anytime soon? Is it worth using those during this time period? Do you have to use all 5 nites at once or if you only use 3 of the nites do the other 2 nites carry over? Are you also sure that the free nites can be used during holidays (such as New Year's Eve... a notoriously busy time in NYC)

Also, you do understand that your not bidding on a specific hotel, right? In re-reading your posts there is a lot of "if i can get XYZ hotel that'll be good" when in reality when you bid all that you can select is the star rating and the zone... you could get any hotel at that star level or higher in that zone. I just want to make sure you understand the entire process.

I think you'd be better off (and have less opportunity to be disappointed) if rather than focus on specific hotels try to focus on a minimum quality level and acceptable zones. For example, most people that bid MTE and MTW are also willing to accept UP/MTC and MTS... are these zones not acceptable to you? You should also consider if you are indeed willing to split the bid in order to save money, and if so, how many times are you willing to do this over the period of the 16 nites (change hotels only once... twice.. not at all?)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for the comments and great help. I have used this skill with matching the hotels accordingly.

I have bid $95 for MTW 4* and got the Hilton NY Towers over the 21 Dec - 26 Dec, the same as the other person had gotten. I have the Sheraton NY from 27 Dec-1 Jan.

At this stage, I now need a hotel from 16 Dec - 21 Dec and one night on the 26 Dec. I'm looking to do it this way:

1) Book 1 night at the Hilton NY Towers (using the Expedia rate) about US$175 for 1 night.

2) Book 5 nights in MTE or MTW 3* or higher, ideally around $75-$100. Any tips/strategies?

I wish you would have replied first before bidding....

My suggestion would have been to try bidding Dec 16th-31st all at once (because i think the nite of the 31st is a higher priced nite), and if rejected continue to re-bid knocking one nite off the end of the stay, up to 5x until successful, and then use the SPG freebie nites to fill in the gap.

Even if you choose the hotel for the nite of the 27th (either at the Sheraton NY or Hilton NY Towers) you're now moving 3 times unless you're lucky enough to get the same hotel for the 16th-21st.

For the 16th-21st i'd try:

4* MTE bid $85, if rejected add

MTW and bid $95, if rejected add

re-bid zone and bid $100.

If rejected....

3* MTE bid $75, if rejected add

MTW and bid $85, if rejected add

re-bid zone and bid $95

Hi,

Thanks for the tips, i've managed to lock in the Hilton Towers NY directly on hilton.com for $179 for the 26 Dec for 1 night. So that end is sown up. I should have listened, but unfortunately the SPG 5 nights was a nights and flights award so i'd be wasting it with any less than 4 nights IMHO.

I don't mind the move, but i've just been told from my partner that the idea of moving twice isn't so great! Perhaps even MTE could be out... I'll need to check tonight to see how I go on the homefront!!

The other choice is to somehow find a rate where i can be pretty sure of getting the Hilton NY Towers from the 16-21 Dec, which as we know is no guarantee on PL... you bid for location, price and dates, not the room!

Hi,

For the 26 Dec, 1 night, i've done a search on Hotwire and come up with the following:

4*, restaurant, fitness, business centre, customer favourite

Below is what was featured on the Hotwire list of hotels on better bidding:

4* Sheraton New York

Customer Favorite

Amenities: Restaurant, Fitness, Business Center

(vacation product no longer showing internet, so may or may not be listed)

And it's only $129 per night, do you think I should go ahead and bid on this property ? I will save myself about US$50 instead of using the Hilton NY reservation... thoughts? too risky?

You mentioned your partner was upset with the hotel switching as is? Would he or she be prone to throttle you if the hotel choice was something different again and had to go there for one night? :) Perhaps it would be best to ask your partner in this case - whether the $50 and the somewhat uncertain hotel would be preferred or the absolute certainty of no one-night hotel stay.

The facts are that you are indeed buying a hotel before you know the name, and while it may turn out to be the Sheraton, this does not have to be the case!

You (and your partner) assume the risks of your purchase.

The sad part is that most of this anguish your currently going thru could have been avoided :) .

You're right, perhaps anguish is too harsh of a word, but my point is that there is a lot of thinking going on now that wouldn't be necessary if a gameplan was established and followed from the onset.

Regardless, i guess s/he's still ok if they haven't reached this point yet:

$160 Rejected, What do I do?!?!?!? What do I do!?!??!?!?!?!??! -AG

I'm a slow learner, I know.. and I should listen more, I know... but i'm glad i'm not in the same position AG was! De ja vu - I was in the same position about 2 months ago in NY... in the Radisson Lexington... 12pm, they're knocking, they want me out of the room... im in priceilne fingers crossed, hoping to win a hotel room....! Meanwhile... priceline says "ummm we'll need 15 minutes to get back to you"... oh no!!!!!!!!!

For the 16th-21st i'd try:

4* MTE bid $85, if rejected add

MTW and bid $95, if rejected add

re-bid zone and bid $100.

If rejected....

3* MTE bid $75, if rejected add

MTW and bid $85, if rejected add

re-bid zone and bid $95

Hi,

I made all those bids (4* MTW - actually went up to $105 and 3* MTE - actually went up to $100) without any luck. The $98 hotwire rate is now gone.. up to $156/night now... any idea on what I should do now?

Hi,

Just another followup, i've now bid the following for 16-21 Dec:

1) 2.5* MTE, bid up to $105. (I also bid up to HKD$880 on priceline.com.hk - US$112) no luck

2) 4* MTE, bid up to $118 no luck

3) 4* MTW, bid up to $121 no luck

4) 3* MTW, bid up to $87 no luck

Am considering my options:

1) I can get 3 nights 16,17,18 for $107 at the Radisson, then 19,20 for $169 at the Radisson (effective $131 per night plus taxes); or

2) Bid up to 4* for $131 if I really have to in these locations (MTE, MTW); or

3) Bidding more on 3* MTW - ideas?

What do you suggest I do? What other options are there outside of PL and Hotwire??

kawoh

Hi, I know with PL I shouldn't be hotel specific, but i've just read the reviews of the Mansfield in MTW (3*), and i'd rather avoid even the likelihood of getting this property, so I've ruled it out.

I've since found a more compelling alternative:

3 nights Hotwire 16-19 dec $107/night (likely to be the Radisson)

1 night through a travel consolidator (19-20 dec) $129/night

1 night through radisson's site $169/night

averages out at $123/night...

Anything else smarter to do?

I ended up getting a direct rate with Hilton Millenium (I know not in the right part of town, but for the miles, extra nights, and upgrade as a gold and free b/fast) for US$149/night + taxes for the 16 dec - 21 dec It's Superb and i'll be up in Times Square after that date, which is when X'mas and NY really turn themselves on.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]