maybe there should be B&B priceline

iahphx
By iahphx,
in

If you've travelled outside the US, some of your favorite accomodations have probably been small inns and b&B's. The concept certainly "crossed the pond" in the past 15 years or so, but if you're like me, you don't stay in many such properties in the US these days.

The reason tends to be value. If you're going to a medium sized town or larger that offers priceline, you can stay at a nice hotel for a fraction of the cost of a b&b. For some reason (perhaps to make a buck?) b&b's in the US tend to charge the equivalent of a nice hotel's "rack" rate (unlike in Europe, where they're usually significantly cheaper than "full service" hotels). So if I can get a room at a 3 or 4 star hotel for $40 or $50, I'm not very inclined to "take a chance" on a b&b wanting $120.

Moreover, even in small "out of the way" rural places where you really WANT the charm of a b&b, the prices seem high compared to what you're used to paying with priceline for a deluxe hotel room in, say, Chicago. Even a "moderate" b&b is usually well over $100 these days, even in the sleepiest of backwaters. It just seems like a bad value equation, and doesn't make you want to try it.

I wonder if priceline could also make a buck selling "last minute" unsold b&b inventory over the internet. In some respects, getting 60 bucks for a room would be better than zero for the innkeeper, and maybe you'd be inclined to try the place and come back. On the other hand, maybe they're too afraid you'd tell the other guests that you paid half the price. Ot maybe they'd find it "unseemly" to discount their rooms.

I don't know. What I do know is that I'll probably continue to save my B&B stays for the English countryside until the value proposition changes over here.

Think of the ramifications....

"My breakfast was worse worse because i was there on a Priceline stay.... i got the Priceline Eggs". :)

Although i like the idea, my guess is that it's just too hard to contact innkeepers across the country to participate in the program to make it economically worthwhile. Most of them are also small mom and pop type of operations and don't have full computerized booking capabilities that would make 'real time inventory' nearly impossible. Also, many here are much more well versed in Worldspan than i am, but if it costs to put your inventory into the system, it may be prohibitive for B&Bs to participate.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

This site sort of does something like what you are talking about, although it does not use a Priceline model. It features flat-shares, hostels, hotels (some budget and some not), and apartments in various locations (but mostly Europe, and in particular London) at prices that are usually not matched elsewhere.

http://www.studios92.co.uk/

In effect, this means something like a London hostel bed that would be 15 pounds if booked from the hostel web site is only 9 or 10 pounds if purchased from the Studios92 site. My guess is that they can charge a lower price because most of the listed establishments have a policy where you can cancel up to 24 hours before booking. The Studios92 site takes a 10% deposit (I think). Given the low-cost nature of much of the accommodation, I suspect a lot of people just forfeit their bookings.

That's an interesting link, Will. Thanks for mentioning it.

I don't know, it just seems like the US B&B industry is still in the dark ages when it comes to marketing. It's usually the "rack rate" or nothing. You'd think that local associations would at least band together during off-peak times and launch some sort of discounted promotions (comparable, say, to how big city restaurants offer complete dinners during one month of the summer for $20.03).

Instead, they seem content to cater to the price insensitive upscale market that wants "charm" over hotel-like amenities. I suspect that's a pretty limited market in most places (other than, say, New England inns in fall).

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]