Priceline Hotel: 2.5* San Diego (Mission Valley) Handlery Hotel

tmaok
By tmaok,
in

My trip to San Diego is from 6/18-6/21/06. Originally I was planning to stay at my friend's place, but it didn't work out, so I started looking for hotels late. I didn't know about priceline and all the bidding tricks until a few days ago. Anyway, I was very disappointed that I didn't get a 3* at $75 bidding price while I was using the bidding tricks. Then, I tried the 2* at the highest bidding price of $60 and still couldn't any. I checked other posts and seemed like people can get 2.5* at $55 couple days ago. Is it too late to bid and that's why I can't get a good deal?

Thank you so much for your help. This site is AWESOME!

What zones in San Diego are acceptable?

I wouldn't hold out high hopes of getting a killer deal - saving a moderate amount for a summer San Diego stay seems more likely. You can look at Hotwire and get a sense of whether hotel rates are high for your dates, and look at regular hotel rates too.

Thanks for your reply.

My acceptable zones are as followed with preference #:

1) Downtown San Diego and Harbor Island

2) San Diego Coastal

3) Point Loma - Shelter Island - Old Town

4) Mission Valley

5) Coronado

6) Del Mar

7) Sorrento Mesa

I had car rental already, so I don't mind to get around the city a little bit more, but if I can get the hotel in the top 4 zones, that'll be more ideal. I'm hoping to get 3* at around $75 or less. If I end up with 2* hotels, I'd like to pay less than $50, since I can actually book a 2* hotel in Mission Valley at $47.6/night at Expedia. I used other areas without 3* hotels to bid my 3* starting with $50 and after I used up all the areas at $75, I still couldn't get a deal. So, I lowered my rating to 2*, and started bidding at $40. I didn't use the other areas this time, since I don't want to stay with those areas as most of them have 2* , and up to $60, I still couldn't get a deal.

I also looked into Hotwire too, 2* at Mission Valley is $68, 2.5* in Downtown is $86, 3* in Mission Valley is $95. 3* in Seaworld is $118.

Do you guys think I should give up and book the 2* at Expedia since I'm running out of time? I also checked other forum topics and seemed someone was trying to get Omni at SD Downtown with bidding prcie $150 and didn't get it, but got it 2 days later with $95 bidding price. How did that happen? Should I bid again couple days later to try my luck???

Thanks for reading this!

so, I ended up bidding again tonight and I got a hotel!

Here's the process:

Downtown 3*, $55

Downtown 2.5*, $56

added San Diego Coastal, $58

added Old town, $60

added Mission Vally, $63

added Coronardo, $65 and won a 2.5* hotel (Handlery Hotel And Resort) at Mission Valley

Check-in date: 6/18/06

check-out date: 6/21/06

Total charges: $226.49 for 3 nights

I checked the reviews about this hotel in this site, and they're pretty bad. I checked the reviews and they are extremely mixed. Will post my review here after my trip. Hopefully it's not too bad.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]