Hotwire Hotel: 4* Newark (Jersey City) Hyatt Regency on the Hudson

cap
By cap,
in

I love the Jersey City area because we can get rooms for 4 people and be very close to the PATH stations.

I bid up to $95 on priceline to stay in Jersey City 3* and 2.5* but got rejected for Aug 2-5 2006.

I could go slightly higher if I could park for cheaper than $31 at the Hyatt.

I qualify for the $150 goverment rate so that's my absolute limit.

Interestingly, Orbitz is cheaper than hyatt.com but the rate guarantee only gives me $190 - 20% which is more than $150.

I am now looking for another area but commute time to Manhattan is very important to me.

We're looking for a 2.5* or better. (I could get the Econolodge in Jersey City for $70 otherwise).

I looked at hotwire and The Fort Lee - Hackensack area is pretty cheap but I am not familiar with this area.

I read in another thread the Radisson Saddle Brook is not recommended so I will avoid it.

I could get the 3* Fort Lee - Hackensack, restaurant, internet, golf, business center (probably the Radisson Englewood) for $61. Is this hotel decent? How is the neighborhood? How long is the commute to manhattan (say Penn Station or Times Square)? Is it close to the public transit? I don't want to drive to Manhattan.

I had avoided 2* in Jersey City in the past because the Candlewood has only one bed in all the rooms. It turns out their web site accepts 4 people in the room because of the extra sofa bed. This is even better because parking is (apparently) free and we get a full kitchen. I tried to bet 2* on priceline up to $85 but got rejected. I used the savingsbarn link.

When Priceline let's me try again, I will bid higher for 2* in Jersey City hoping I will not get bumped to 3* at the Hyatt.

I had avoided 2* in Jersey City in the past because the Candlewood has only one bed in all the rooms. It turns out their web site accepts 4 people in the room because of the extra sofa bed

this is not recommended as Priceline only guarantees accomodations for 2, if you win the Candlewood, you will likely get a studio suite which has only one bed, no sofa.

I could get the 3* Fort Lee - Hackensack, restaurant, internet, golf, business center (probably the Radisson Englewood) for $61. Is this hotel decent? How is the neighborhood? How long is the commute to manhattan (say Penn Station or Times Square)? Is it close to the public transit? I don't want to drive to Manhattan

The Radisson Englewood is now a Crowne Plaza and although its a nice property, it does not have easy access to public transportation into the city. However, on the Hotel's website, there is mention of a shuttle bus service within 5 miles of the hotel, so its possible that you could get dropped off at a bus stop. But after a day in the city, you will have to call the shuttle and get retrieved at the bus stop. If you're game, its a fairly easy drive into Manhattan after the morning rush. I would avoid Fort Lee-Hackensack if you are looking to take public transportation into NYC.

If Jersey City is not working out for your stay then the (Secaucus-North Bergen) zone is the next best (followed by the (Meadowlands-Rutherford) zone).

Let us know which of the above (or both) you'd like to bid and we'll try to suggest a strategy to move forward.

I would go with thereuare's advice

I followed your advice to look closer in Secaucus-North Bergen.

I finally decided to make a regular reservation with Comfort Suites at 1200 Tonnelle Ave in North Bergen. The government rate is $95 and I can cancel up to 4PM the previous day. Parking and continental breakfast are free. It's too far from any train station. We have to take the bus. Hopefully the reserved bus lane in the Lincoln Tunnel will help us save some time. NJ transit claims the bus takes 25min to reach the Port Authority Bus Terminal 41st & 8th. We have to add 10min of walking to reach the bus stop. There's also a shuttle service but it drops us at the Days Inn where we have to take another shuttle.

Two Comments:

1) Blech!! You don't want to stay on Tonnelle Ave... you can do much better in this area for under $100

2) Did you check the support page of this site and see that we are an affiliate of the Comfort Suites which helps keep this place running and free so that you can ask questions such as you have? (well, that page and our donation page)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I followed your advice to look closer in Secaucus-North Bergen

Cap, I have to laugh at the sequence of events: you ask for advice and when its provided, you do your own thing!!

Yes, the Comfort Inn is in S/N-B zone, and although I travel to this area often, I would never think of staying here. At least it won't get dark until about 8:00 PM so you can make the walk back from the bus stop to your hotel when its still daylight.

I'm sorry I upset you. I've made 20 bets through savingsbarn in the last 3 days and they were all rejected. I know this is important to your site. I will make sure my final reservation goes through one of your affiliate links.

Three bad decisions in a row must be a record (Fort Lee, Candlewood Suites, Tonnelle Ave). I'm really grateful for your advice.

I have my personal car but driving to Manhattan is out of the question. I'm still trying to minimize public transit time. I know all priceline hotels in Jersey City are close to the PATH. Let me found out the answer for the Secaucus - North Bergen zone. I will post what I learned tomorrow.

This is what I found.

Nothing of interest on hotwire.

Surprise, the commute time in Secaucus is about the same (between 20 and 25min) using the bus. Now I see what you were talking about.

Wyndham is $98.

Crowne Plaza is $159 (drops to $104 gov rate)

Embassy Suites is $199

Amerisuites is $199

Courtyard Secaucus is $199 (this hotel was a regular on the Marriott eBreaks list last year).

As the rate and the recent wins show, I will probably get the 3* Wyndham in the $66 range.

It's getting late, I will bid tomorrow.

Thanks for your patience.

The Wyndam Suites is a good one, the bus to NYC stops right in front of the hotel. Several restaurants within walking distance as well as a Wal Mart, Sam's Club, Kohls, and Stop-n-Shop (supermarket) nearby. I think $66 will take it, remember you have a rebid zone in this area. Good luck!

I went as high as $70 for the Secaucus-North Bergen zone and I was rejected.

I checked again on hotwire and the price for the 4* went down to $99 today. I tried to add the day before and the price went up to $187 (ouch). I tried to add the day after and the price went down to $80 (Yeh). Clearly the Hyatt had just released new inventory exactly 2 months in advance. My previous bids on priceline were too early. I tried to convince my wife to bid $65 on priceline but she insisted on the Hyatt. She did not want to risk getting the doubletree. At least with Hotwire I am guaranteed a room for 2 adults and 2 children.

I went through the HOTWIRE link on the savingsbarn portal.

4* Newark (Jersey City) Hyatt Regency on the Hudson

$80 ... 8/2/06-8/6/06

Restaurant, pool, fitness center, high-speed internet, business center

Can someone suggest ways to avoid the outrageous parking fees at the Hyatt?

I don't need my car while I'm at the hotel since I plan to use the public transit the whole time.

I heard there is free parking during the week-end but can we actually find empty spots?

What about Wed to Fri?

Thanks

I heard there is free parking during the week-end but can we actually find empty spots?
Yes
What about Wed to Fri?
Not as likely as most of the area is also 'neighborhood permit'

Thanks for using the SavingsBarn.com links to begin your Hotwire purchase.... I'll send you a PM on the weekend parking.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]